Months old parrot Only knows how to runnnnnnn

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
I have a 3-4 months old eclectus Parrot named Apollo. Heโ€™s pretty defenceless as he doesnโ€™t bite people, he only runs. Itโ€™s only been a few days since heโ€™s home. Apollo eats, poops regularly and plays with his toys all day long which I take as heโ€™s comfortable in this new environment.

Apollo is clipped when we got him. He doesnโ€™t know the step up command. I accidentally left the cage unlocked this morning. The next thing I know, heโ€™s standing on top of the cage. I tried using peas and corn to get him to step up but he wouldnโ€™t budge. Then I tried target training (I trained him to react to the stick yesterday, it was a success!) still nothing. I had to leave the room so I gently grabbed him using a soft towel and put him back to his cage as he was shaking and didnโ€™t know what was happening.

How to I get Apollo to trust me? He rather not get rewarded with a treat than stepping up. Heโ€™s used to being in his cage and doesnโ€™t want to come out.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Pepper(M): violet recessive pied Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have a 3-4 months old eclectus Parrot named Apollo. Heโ€™s pretty defenceless as he doesnโ€™t bite people, he only runs. Itโ€™s only been a few days since heโ€™s home. Apollo eats, poops regularly and plays with his toys all day long which I take as heโ€™s comfortable in this new environment.

Apollo is clipped when we got him. He doesnโ€™t know the step up command. I accidentally left the cage unlocked this morning. The next thing I know, heโ€™s standing on top of the cage. I tried using peas and corn to get him to step up but he wouldnโ€™t budge. Then I tried target training (I trained him to react to the stick yesterday, it was a success!) still nothing. I had to leave the room so I gently grabbed him using a soft towel and put him back to his cage as he was shaking and didnโ€™t know what was happening.

How to I get Apollo to trust me? He rather not get rewarded with a treat than stepping up. Heโ€™s used to being in his cage and doesnโ€™t want to come out.
Apollo and Pepper also had trouble with that. Sorry, but peas and corn my not be a good enough treat. He needs something he's OBSESSED with. Also, when you leave the room for a short time, PLEASE don't towel him! Here's a great training thread for step-up:

OP
S

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
Thank you for your reply! Iโ€™ve read some books about eclectus parrot. Their digestive system differs from other birds so seeds might not be a good treat for them.

I thought maybe fruits and veggies might be a good idea. Should I try millet sprays? (Just a little)

Most Reactions

Latest posts