Moody Meyers parrot

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Jasper has been with me for two years now, but I feel I still don’t understand Meyers parrot body language.

I somehow irritate or scare him and he changes from cuddly to biting and grinding his sharp beak on my hand.

Today he was out briefly for pets. I decided to return him to his cage to end the interaction on a positive note. Jasper wasn’t happy about that and bit me. He bit me yesterday too, worse. My hand is pretty sore because he grabs the knuckle and grinds.

I was talking to him just now as he was drowsing in his cage. He clicked and cooed at me so I pet his head. Then he held my finger with his foot and stepped up. I took him from his cage and held him and petted his head. Told him that I loved him and he needs to stop biting me because it hurts my feelings and makes me sore.

Then I put him back in his cage after a few minutes because I wasn’t planning to take him out at night. He stepped onto the perch and I told him goodnight.

I’m really not sure what to do to lessen these bites and they do hurt and hurt my feelings. I gave Jasper a dirty look when he bit me earlier today and told him “no-no biting.”

I feel like a mean person and also kind of stupid because I usually speak bird but it seems I don’t speak Meyers parrot very well, or I wouldn’t still be getting bit.

Advice? Here’s a pic of Jasper looking sweet for the camera.

3FFD59B0-3626-4706-AA82-E5DFD780FEB6.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I would introduce "Shunning" as the means to curb this behavior. Basically if he bites - and it is definitely NOT your fault - immediately place him on a handy chair back or other neutral place, NOT his cage, turn you back to him and ignore him for 1 minute, no more. No talking about him, no eye contact, nothing. No more then 1 minute or the lesson will be lost. This must be done immediately and consistently until he gets the message. It is how flocks in the wild chastise unruly members.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What if I am doing something wrong and just not getting it?

The bites happen so fast. It seems like if I’m not looking at him, if something else takes my attention from him then quicker than quick, Jasper bites.

So he’s been getting less attention and time out because the bites scare me.

But I can’t sit and gaze into his beady little eyes all the time. Willow can handle me looking at my phone or reading while he is out, but Jasper cannot.

Anyhow I will find someplace boring to set Jasper when he bites and try to start over.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would introduce "Shunning" as the means to curb this behavior. Basically if he bites - and it is definitely NOT your fault - immediately place him on a handy chair back or other neutral place, NOT his cage, turn you back to him and ignore him for 1 minute, no more. No talking about him, no eye contact, nothing. No more then 1 minute or the lesson will be lost. This must be done immediately and consistently until he gets the message. It is how flocks in the wild chastise unruly members.
Thank you. He probably DOESNT want to go back in his cage because he doesn’t get out as much as he should. Because lately I’m afraid to be bitten.

So I will try to be more proactive with Jasper and try these things you’ve suggested, plus the exercises in the “bonding with your bird” essay that I’ve been doing: giving both birds little treats and telling them they’re good birds, etc.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Notice I said "when its not your fault". Meaning you ignored his body language, or put him in a position or state of mind where you know he is likely to bite. Putting him back into his cage, when you know the does not like or want that constitutes foreknowledge that he is likely to bite, so shunning him because of those bites is not applicable. You either have man up and take the bite or start to figure a way to get him back in with out the drama or bites. Using a small length of perch or dowel might be one way. Salty is very predictable and he HATES when I miss a night time training session (usually because I go to a music jam session and return well past his normal bedtime). I KNOW he is very likely to bite, not a lot or very hard, when I put him to bed. I have to man up, accept that, and try to minimize his attack area. SOme times I am successful, sometimes not. But those are not his fault. I would not "shun" him for those. Another example, we play very rough sometimes, almost play fighting, and he understands bite pressure. Once in awhile he will deliver a much stronger bite then a play one. For that, yes, I use the shunning method, because he knows the difference.

Know thy bird!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It is hard not to have any surprises or distractions when holding your bird.

That’s what usually leads to a bite: something I couldn’t predict happens. The phone rings, someone approaches with a scary object, something falls, or I dare to look away from mr big beak.

I guess you are taking about those times when I look away from jasper and he decides to discipline me with his mighty beak. Not when I bump something and it falls and jasper bites me (to alert me?).

They are often hard and twisting bites. That’s why they seem like punishment bites, except that Jasper doesn’t get to punish me. Aha! I think I see what you are saying,

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We had a nice head petting interaction today and Jasper hopped back into his cage easily. I had a moment of worry that kissing his head might be too exciting but it was not. Distractions and interruptions are when bites happen.

I have been saying “want some?” then “thank you!” Excitedly when I give each bird a treat or put something in their food dish. Lucy used to ask for treats sometimes but ALWAYS said thank you when you gave her a treat or food. People thought that was REALLY COOL and that is so rewarding for a bird.

So this afternoon I heard something sounding a lot like “thank you!” coming from Jasper’s cage. I yelled “thank you” back and forth with him for a bit. My neighbors may think that is strange.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Willow was out for a while in early afternoon. Jasper called and complained the whole time. So I put Willow back in his cage when he got antsy and stepped up Jasper.

Jasper enjoyed about 15 minutes of petting and I noticed he started to get the slightest bit squirmy. Then he beaked my hand. I said , “Jasper!” and then realized, “he’s telling me he’s done.” So I asked if he wanted to go back to his cage, and brought him back.

Jasper hopped right in. No bites today. Hurray!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Another bite today after a day of sleeping off a cold.

It wasn’t a bad bite but it did bleed. I showed Jasper, gave him a stern look and told him that it “hurt” and that biting is “not nice, not ok”.

But I realize that it’s exciting to be pet after mom’s been “away” for a day or two.

I just wish he didn’t do that!

Most Reactions

Latest posts