more on chop..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
..now that I'm on a mission towards the kid's health,with the new scale,and bought a new three cup food processor,AND ordered a bag of freeze-dryed chop I thought I'd try and make just a little fresh stuff to see what the little knuckleheads think of it.
So I picked up the smallest bag of pre-chopped sweet 'tater with cauliflower in it,a mixed bag of different peppers and a bag of snap peas. I already have baby carrots to mix in and a bell pepper.

What surprised the heck out of me was when I read about the freeze dried chop. A "serving size" to the manufacturer is the size of the parrots HEAD :eek:
That's a snack size to me!
I guess it's no wonder why Amy was so over weight :eek:

I only want to make a couple serving sizes,but buying the ingredience at the store you cant really buy one or two of these or a handful of that (there are exceptions)

Time to go make a mess...

Jim

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

neither 'Boats they were in the living room :p However when I gave Amy his "serving":rolleyes: he went right for it. Less is more??:confused: I don't know!

Jim

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Jim, I hydrated the chop with a little water and heated it up. She took about 5 bites and was don't with it but that's 5 bits more than any green veggie in almost 3 years. When hydrated, the chop had a strong broccoli smell and I thought it would entise her.

I'm off on a business trip so I won't get to experiment more with it until I get back. I will try some flavored hydration methods to see if I can get her to eat it.

I just had a thought, she LOVES Goldenfeast Central American Preservation Blend and it comes with a couple of flavor packets. I'll order another bag of it and try a little of the flavor packet for hydration and see if I can trick her ;)

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Well the freeze dried chop I ordered from Texas Natural Freeze Dried Products came today :D In a quart sized sealed bag. I'n going to wait from tomorrows brekky to offer some to the kids. Those little so-and-so's better EAT the stuff and not just fling it around!:mad:
Let y'all know the verdict tomorrow :D

Jim

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Jim, what's the verdict? And did you get large or fine chop?

Most Reactions

Latest posts