Morning Screams

May 17, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi! So my bird screams very often in the morning. I always thought and think that it's because of the sunlight and his instinct so I covered him with a DIY cage cover (oh yeah I really love crafting things😁) which is working somewhat, but I need more advice on how to stop it. I haven't been able to sleep well for a few weeks now,I feel tired!..😅 If you have got any piece of advice I will test them out and thank you in advance! By the way, his cage is just one room away from me. He is next to the TV Table, so I open the door of the table to reduce the sunlight reaching to him to the maximum. I would love to read your comments, thank you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I adjusted my birds schedule so they go to bed later and wake up later. That timeline works better for us and it works fine for the birds, as long as they get somewhere around 12 hours of sleep.

Birds usually do scream when they wake up, is there any way to make the room darker?

OP
PunkAnaOfBirds
May 17, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I adjusted my birds schedule so they go to bed later and wake up later. That timeline works better for us and it works fine for the birds, as long as they get somewhere around 12 hours of sleep.

Birds usually do scream when they wake up, is there any way to make the room darker?
Great Idea, thank you! We do sleep late and still have the TV on sometimes, he is also awake at that time, so he does sleep late. Thank you and I'll keep that in mind! And about the darkness,we are thinking about getting curtains for the room and I will definitely take your advice into consideration, Thank you!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Great Idea, thank you! We do sleep late and still have the TV on sometimes, he is also awake at that time, so he does sleep late. Thank you and I'll keep that in mind! And about the darkness,we are thinking about getting curtains for the room and I will definitely take your advice into consideration, Thank you!
You're very welcome! I bet curtains will really help, please let us know how it works out:)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My parrot also starts talking as soon as he wakes up. It's ranged from his "hello?" sound to a full monologue of chirps and beeps and screeches, to his current "CHEEP!"

He always quiets down when I answer him back - does your cockatiel do anything different if you respond? Mine is definitely flock calling first thing, and saves his long morning speeches for when I open the curtains so he can see the squirrels and birds outside.

OP
PunkAnaOfBirds
May 17, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi! So my bird screams very often in the morning. I always thought and think that it's because of the sunlight and his instinct so I covered him with a DIY cage cover (oh yeah I really love crafting things😁) which is working somewhat, but I need more advice on how to stop it. I haven't been able to sleep well for a few weeks now,I feel tired!..😅 If you have got any piece of advice I will test them out and thank you in advance! By the way, his cage is just one room away from me. He is next to the TV Table, so I open the door of the table to reduce the sunlight reaching to him to the maximum. I would love to read your comments, thank you!
Update: the cage cover is working absolutely wonderful. we made the room darker and he hasn’t even chirped once! now he is in my room playing with his toys. I calculated and he slept for exactly 11 hours! He is not grumpy at all, he doesn’t attack me, he has had a few breaks from toys and sings random melodies, it’s adorable. Thank you so much for your advice, it really made everything so much better!

Last edited:
OP
PunkAnaOfBirds
May 17, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
My parrot also starts talking as soon as he wakes up. It's ranged from his "hello?" sound to a full monologue of chirps and beeps and screeches, to his current "CHEEP!"

He always quiets down when I answer him back - does your cockatiel do anything different if you respond? Mine is definitely flock calling first thing, and saves his long morning speeches for when I open the curtains so he can see the squirrels and birds outside.
He usually screams when he wants to come out or when he is asking for something, but it’s not really a problem anymore, he is completely silent after I took the advice from here! ☺️ Under the covers, he is awake sometimes (rarely),but is quiet. and aw that’s so cute! it’s great that your bird is calmed with your answer and the outside, but yes, it’s still really bad when they start screaming intense, it becomes exhausting! 😅 Thank you for answering!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Update: the cage cover is working absolutely wonderful. we made the room darker and he hasn’t even chirped once! Of course when we opened the curtains and took of his cage cover, he started running around, wanting to come out😁, but we let him out after a bit and now he is in my room playing with his toys. I calculated and he slept for exactly 11 hours! He is not grumpy at all, he doesn’t attack me he has had a few breaks from toys and sings random melodies, it’s adorable. Thank you so much for your advice, it really made everything so much better!
Oh, this makes me so happy that it worked!! YAY!

Most Reactions

Latest posts