Moses was not well for 2 days, he was lethargic and his beak was unusually rough. Any recommendations for cuttle bone in the cage?

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Moses was not well for 2 days, he was lethargic and his beak was unusually rough. God answered prayers as he is back to normal but I am still keeping the appointment with an avian vet in Homosassa Florida. After 2 bad avian vet appointments with 2 different avian vets I think i found a good one not far from my home in Citrus County, Florida.
I suspect Moses may have been trying to clean his beak as he often does by rubbing on his nighttime cage bars and maybe he hurt himself slightly as after 2 days he was back to normal. Also when I adopted Moses 3 years ago the prior owner was letting him play with the plastic cat toy with the little bell in the toy. Moses likes to use his beak to break open the plastic ball to get at the little bell inside. Possibly that may have also hurt his beak? What do you think about cuttle bone in the cage and plastic cat toys. He looks forward to having a little cat toy ball every night when he goes to his nightime cage at 7:30pm for 10 to 12 hours of sleep. However when we watch tv in bed which is the birds cage and bedroom as well he will often laugh at the comedy shows on tv:) Thank you and God Bless our Birds:)

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_081603661.jpg
    IMG_20210831_081603661.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 34

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Moses was not well for 2 days, he was lethargic and his beak was unusually rough. God answered prayers as he is back to normal but I am still keeping the appointment with an avian vet in Homosassa Florida. After 2 bad avian vet appointments with 2 different avian vets I think i found a good one not far from my home in Citrus County, Florida.
I suspect Moses may have been trying to clean his beak as he often does by rubbing on his nighttime cage bars and maybe he hurt himself slightly as after 2 days he was back to normal. Also when I adopted Moses 3 years ago the prior owner was letting him play with the plastic cat toy with the little bell in the toy. Moses likes to use his beak to break open the plastic ball to get at the little bell inside. Possibly that may have also hurt his beak? What do you think about cuttle bone in the cage and plastic cat toys. He looks forward to having a little cat toy ball every night when he goes to his nightime cage at 7:30pm for 10 to 12 hours of sleep. However when we watch tv in bed which is the birds cage and bedroom as well he will often laugh at the comedy shows on tv:) Thank you and God Bless our Birds:)
I would probably stop giving him the cat toy. Could you post a picture of what the bell inside looks like? I assume it’s a little jingle bell? That could get stuck on his beak/tongue/toe etc.

I would definitely take him to the vet if he was acting that way. Hopefully the vet is good!

And in your title you’re asking about cuttlebone? I buy from local pet stores. You can secure it to the cage with paper rope/twine/hemp rope etc.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
yeah cat toys can be dangerous as they aren't intended to be destroyed. I use cat toys with my boy but be doesn't destroy them.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
I would probably stop giving him the cat toy. Could you post a picture of what the bell inside looks like? I assume it’s a little jingle bell? That could get stuck on his beak/tongue/toe etc.

I would definitely take him to the vet if he was acting that way. Hopefully the vet is good!

And in your title you’re asking about cuttlebone? I buy from local pet stores. You can secure it to the cage with paper rope/twine/hemp rope etc.
Hello and Thank you for the good advice:) Now adays unless it is an emergency you must wait 2-4 weeks for an open appointment at an Avian Vet. We are going next week for Moses annual checkup. The last 2 vets did a bad job in drawing blood so i never got an accurate blood test result. Lets see with this new vet in Citrus County,Florida. Moses has been playing with the cat toys for 4 years now and had no problem. I think the problem was when I put some old Christmas bells into some of his cat toy balls as inspecting revealed they are cheap china bells which can be sharp, so they are all in the garbage now:) Thank you and do you agree cuttle bone is a good idea for hanging in his cage? he only goes into the cage to have 7am, 12pm and 5pm feedings. He does go in sometimes for a quick munch on a kabab around 2pm. i hang the kabab in the cage with fruits on the kabab

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello and Thank you for the good advice:) Now adays unless it is an emergency you must wait 2-4 weeks for an open appointment at an Avian Vet. We are going next week for Moses annual checkup. The last 2 vets did a bad job in drawing blood so i never got an accurate blood test result. Lets see with this new vet in Citrus County,Florida. Moses has been playing with the cat toys for 4 years now and had no problem. I think the problem was when I put some old Christmas bells into some of his cat toy balls as inspecting revealed they are cheap china bells which can be sharp, so they are all in the garbage now:) Thank you and do you agree cuttle bone is a good idea for hanging in his cage? he only goes into the cage to have 7am, 12pm and 5pm feedings. He does go in sometimes for a quick munch on a kabab around 2pm. i hang the kabab in the cage with fruits on the kabab
Yes cuttlebone is a good idea. You could also provide a mineral or manu block for him to chew on.

OP
azflcowboy

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Yes cuttlebone is a good idea. You could also provide a mineral or manu block for him to chew on.
Hello I seethe manu block is like a clay block from the manu river in Peru, since it is not native to the solomon islands I wonder if it would be good for Moses who is an eclectus? what do you think ? thank you

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello I seethe manu block is like a clay block from the manu river in Peru, since it is not native to the solomon islands I wonder if it would be good for Moses who is an eclectus? what do you think ? thank you
I think it’s good for all birds. It provides minerals and I’m sure wild Eclectus get their minerals from a similar source.

Most Reactions

Latest posts