Mosha the Sun Conure

Jul 28, 2021
Hello Parrot Friends!

I am new here and already have a question for all of you. Mosha is an 8-month old Sun Conure who still wants formula. I have reduced it to half a syringe, but when I try to skip a feeding she starts yelling (like a baby throwing a tantrum). She also eats solids, but still wants the syringe. Maybe because it takes her a while to break down the pellets in water and eat them. Can someone with experience please help? I hear she is suppose to decide when to wean, but it is 8 months in and it is not happening.

Thank you all in advance!

<3Mosha's Human:orange:

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Welcome, fellow sun conure servant!

I don't know a lot about this. But my own Sunny is somewhat picky. Have you tried various different pellets and/or seed mixes? My Sunny has some particular tastes, specifically not fond of what I consider "northern" fruits, such as apples, blueberries, cranberries, etc. Actually also dis-likes bananas and pecans too. Some good pellets with those flavors in them, she will not eat.

Also is it possible the pellets you are giving her are simply too hard or too big? When I got my Sunny at 6-months' age, for a while she was happy eating the smaller seeds and pellets in parakeet foodmix. Nowadays she turns up her nose as the smaller seeds & pieces, and even wants her pellets in the slightly-larger size. But originally she was fairly happy with the Harrison's Superfine pellets which I had gotten for the budgies.

I think if it were me, I would suggest trying a different pellet brand, and/or a smaller size pellet. Maybe before investing in lots of different foods, perhaps First try just breaking up the current pellets into very small pieces. If that does not work, then maybe try a different brand OR different flavor of same brand, in smaller sizes.

My own Sunny Loves the Tropical Nutriberries, by the way. They are supposed to be good as either a treat or as one of the main food sources, so on my own experience I would suggest trying those.

Also have you tried her with varieties of chop? OR just veggies clipped inside her cage to play with? It is good for your bird to have a variety of foods, and this can help you see if she just dis-likes some particular flavors.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome. I would keep giving her formula until she refuses it. Nothing wrong with doing that.

OP
M
Jul 28, 2021
Thank you all for welcoming this new parrot servant. I have tried giving her several foods and she loves fruits and pellets (during the day), but in the morning she just begs for the formula (even if it is only 5cc). Maybe it's her trying to be babied? IDK. I feel bad cutting her off although all the pet stores are telling me she is way too old to continue and I should force her to stop. She could simply like the formula taste idk.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
As wrench says, there should not be anything wrong with continuing to give her formula as long as she keeps requesting it.

Most Reactions