Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Many many times I've stumbled upon posts on social media where the feather states and issues are very often mixed up, since my little Pascal had quite some feather issues I decided to give you a close up to these most common issues. I will not be writing about plucking!

Stress bars
Most common mix up is between stress bars and discolouration of the feathers. Below you can see what are stress bars. Most visible on the tail feathers, as my partner described it, it looks like it has been broken on several places. This is visible on the front of the feather. The below of the feather on the shaft nothing will be there. The "bars" can be visible across the feather as well, aside of the shaft. The bars usually go along the entire feather.

These are more common in baby birds, but most common reason for these are stressful situations and bad diet.

1631187444638.png

1631187703997.png

Feather discolouration
As it describes, it's lack of pigment in the feather, they will often be seen as black lines, as below. While in this particular wing feather it is natural that the very tip shades into the black, it is however not normal that there are these lines, going from the shaft. This was due to very bad diet. This is not to be mixed with "bronzing" which the tip of the body feathers turn dark due to oils from our hands. The discolouration doesn't go from the shaft of the feather like in the example below.

1631187882531.png

1631188142199.png

Chewing/barbering

Again something seen very often in baby birds before they learn how to preen properly without damaging their feathers. This can also be seen on their body feathers too. However, if a bird starts chewing onto their feathers as adults, it could be a sign of stress or boredom. If a feather simply looks messy but not really missing any parts, it could be from rough play, or from the cage bars if the bird loves to cling onto the walls of the cage. In the below examples, it is clearly been chewed off, but I can assure you the new feathers from my little Pascals are beautiful and untouched :)

1631189347457.png

I hope this might be helpful for some folks!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for contributing Pascal's feathers and dialog. Stress bars, discoloration, chewing/barbering not always plucking symptoms as you so very well state!!

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thank you, for providing both photos and description of common feather issues. With hope, it will be a learning tool for those how find these issues with their Parrots. Again, thank you!
Thank you! I'm really really hoping this will be helpful to any new or current parrot owners, if anything I wanted to put my macro lens into good use 😃

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thanks for contributing Pascal's feathers and dialog. Stress bars, discoloration, chewing/barbering not always plucking symptoms as you so very well state!!
Thank you! Also critiques are very welcome, don't want to misinform anyone but I did check with a future avian vet if I got these right 😝

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Thank you for this.
You did a great job on giving examples and explaining each! It’s very much appreciated!
Our 6 month old DYH amazon’s tail feathers have begun to look a bit damaged. I was starting to worry that he was chewing them or not getting enough vitamins since having weaned him off formula even if he has a pretty big appetite and eats a variety of fresh veggies and fruits. Now looking at the photos you posted I think he might just be damaging them playing for hours out of the day, on the play stands and in his cage. When your like us with only one avian vet in area with at least a 4 month long wait to get in, or people who haven’t any vet at all this is really helpful resource to have.

Thanks again this guide is awesome!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Thank you for starting this thread. Nico (my eclectus parrot) has feather plucking, and destruction issues. He also has discoloration as well. He's growing back black/grayish feathers. They aren't green, or red.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Thank you for starting this thread. Nico (my eclectus parrot) has feather plucking, and destruction issues. He also has discoloration as well. He's growing back black/grayish feathers. They aren't green, or red.
Oh, sorry to hear that your Nico has feather issues! Of course, it is always wise to contact an avian vet regarding feather plucking or discolouration. I am aware that eclectuses have a very very special diet in contary to other parrots (no pellets/seeds allowed, if I am not mistaken). Best to dig or ask some folks here who also have ekkies, I am sure they'd be happy to give their 2 cents, perhaps give some ideas regarding diet.

I am pointing a lot at diet as new feathers that grow colourless is a sign that something is happening "from the inside". I did see a quite bit of people who had ekkies on wrong/bad diet had feather and beak issues. If Nico is already on the eclectus diet, then for sure a visit to the vet is advised. Wishing all the best to you and Nico!!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Oh, sorry to hear that your Nico has feather issues! Of course, it is always wise to contact an avian vet regarding feather plucking or discolouration. I am aware that eclectuses have a very very special diet in contary to other parrots (no pellets/seeds allowed, if I am not mistaken). Best to dig or ask some folks here who also have ekkies, I am sure they'd be happy to give their 2 cents, perhaps give some ideas regarding diet.

I am pointing a lot at diet as new feathers that grow colourless is a sign that something is happening "from the inside". I did see a quite bit of people who had ekkies on wrong/bad diet had feather and beak issues. If Nico is already on the eclectus diet, then for sure a visit to the vet is advised. Wishing all the best to you and Nico!!
Yes, Nico is working with his vet on being a healthier parrot. I myself will not comment on what advice has been given from his vet. Just because each parrot has different medical issues/needs. Behavioral stuff i'll comment on, and I'm more comfortable with. Avian vets I've learned fairly quickly are hard to come by. Its sad because us parrot owners love our birds, and when we need a vet we really need a vet.

OP
Skarila

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots

Previous owned:
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Yes, Nico is working with his vet on being a healthier parrot. I myself will not comment on what advice has been given from his vet. Just because each parrot has different medical issues/needs. Behavioral stuff i'll comment on, and I'm more comfortable with. Avian vets I've learned fairly quickly are hard to come by. Its sad because us parrot owners love our birds, and when we need a vet we really need a vet.
Indeed, avian vets are super rare, or any vet who understands birds. In many other countries avian vets aren't even a thing, really...
I am happy for Nico that he's "supervised" by a vet, also I see you're very considerate about how each bird's health and diagnosis can vary!
I am sorry if I sounded as if I immediately jumped into conclusion about ekkie diet - it is not an immediate accusation, just the ekkie diet is a common issue/topic, never a bad idea to bring it up. But as you said, only a vet with tests can confirm what the bird needs and what is the diagnosis. I am sure you're already quite knowledgeable then and giving your best for Nico to nurse him back to good health and help him out!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Indeed, avian vets are super rare, or any vet who understands birds. In many other countries avian vets aren't even a thing, really...
I am happy for Nico that he's "supervised" by a vet, also I see you're very considerate about how each bird's health and diagnosis can vary!
I am sorry if I sounded as if I immediately jumped into conclusion about ekkie diet - it is not an immediate accusation, just the ekkie diet is a common issue/topic, never a bad idea to bring it up. But as you said, only a vet with tests can confirm what the bird needs and what is the diagnosis. I am sure you're already quite knowledgeable then and giving your best for Nico to nurse him back to good health and help him out!
I’m not offended in the least bit. I can tell everyone in here wants to help out others. We all have different opinions on a mutual goal which is helping out parrots/birds. I myself will never give an opinion medically speaking just because if something bad happened I would feel awful. I have some bad luck lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts