mother kills introduced chick

Sunny-Boy

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus
I was very happy that a chick finally hatched after the previous 5 clutches failed in the incubator. Had the mother sitting on a dummy egg and when she was off the egg i replaced the dummy with the newly hatched chick.... she killed it instantly when she went back to the box. What went wrong? and the other egg is due to hatch tomorrow ... what should i do?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I was very happy that a chick finally hatched after the previous 5 clutches failed in the incubator. Had the mother sitting on a dummy egg and when she was off the egg i replaced the dummy with the newly hatched chick.... she killed it instantly when she went back to the box. What went wrong? and the other egg is due to hatch tomorrow ... what should i do?
Is there a reason why the eggs are in the incubator instead of the mother sitting on them after she lays them?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
With endangered species I've assisted with, they placed the broken shell with the chick .

Im not sure if that helps .

But some first time moms do kill their chicks....some learn sbd become good moms, some never do and are taken out of breeding

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She sat on 4 previous eggs without hatching.
I'm honestly not sure if she will ever accept a chick that didn't hatch with her. I'm definitely not an expert, but she may be looking at the baby as an intruder.

D

Deleted member 42416

You will need to step up and care for the chicks…here is a link to a previous post, but it should help in getting started.

OP
S

Sunny-Boy

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Eclectus
I'm honestly not sure if she will ever accept a chick that didn't hatch with her. I'm definitely not an expert, but she may be looking at the baby as an intruder.
with this last egg I might swap the eggs once the chick starts starts breaking out

Most Reactions

Latest posts