Moving home × cage

Failure

Jul 14, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Has anyone actually ever run to any trouble from suddenly transferring their irn (or any bird) to a new cage? Such as plucking (my biggest fear), etc? a year or two ago my bird had been deathly afraid of a new cage I got him. Because of space I had been forced to place the old one ontop of the new one rather than next to eachother but even after a week+ he still didnt grow accustomed.

I eventually had to just physically place him in and shut the door. He freaked out for a little but I have moved out of my mom's house and would like to upgrade his cage again (hes staying with her at the moment). We had an issue of 'insects' just because of location(ny) and being in an old apt building. It becomes more of trying to manage them than being able to eradicate. I would not like to bring this cage to the new place and risk possible contamination. Would like some opinions on what is the best move here. I could build the cage at the new home and bring him for a visit, or just move him in one go?

Thanks for any advice

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums!

I've only recently gotten my first parrot, but he is a plucker and I was worried about this too.

So far he's been fine moving from one cage to another. In general hea not very fearful of new things, though.

I think since you're planning to move your IRN to a new home too, and not only to a new cage, you'll probably be fine moving him all in one go.

OP
F

Failure

Jul 14, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Thank you for the reply and warm welcome! I had seen posts on this forum before but finally joined to get help :) i will be moving him today !
Welcome to the forums!

I've only recently gotten my first parrot, but he is a plucker and I was worried about this too.

So far he's been fine moving from one cage to another. In general hea not very fearful of new things, though.

I think since you're planning to move your IRN to a new home too, and not only to a new cage, you'll probably be fine moving him all in one go.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you for the reply and warm welcome! I had seen posts on this forum before but finally joined to get help :) i will be moving him today !
Oh how exciting that today is the day! I hope it goes well and I'm excited to hear what he thinks of his new home :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Has anyone actually ever run to any trouble from suddenly transferring their irn (or any bird) to a new cage? Such as plucking (my biggest fear), etc? a year or two ago my bird had been deathly afraid of a new cage I got him. Because of space I had been forced to place the old one ontop of the new one rather than next to eachother but even after a week+ he still didnt grow accustomed.

I eventually had to just physically place him in and shut the door. He freaked out for a little but I have moved out of my mom's house and would like to upgrade his cage again (hes staying with her at the moment). We had an issue of 'insects' just because of location(ny) and being in an old apt building. It becomes more of trying to manage them than being able to eradicate. I would not like to bring this cage to the new place and risk possible contamination. Would like some opinions on what is the best move here. I could build the cage at the new home and bring him for a visit, or just move him in one go?

Thanks for any advice
I have a cockatiel (Fang), who has always been the shy and retiring type, and when it came time to replace his very old cage I was very much concerned about how he would make the transition. Needn't have worried in the end, he took to it pretty much immediately. And then I had to move him again very shortly afterwards when it turned out that "new" cage was somewhat lacking in quality and I had to upgrade him yet again! Individual results will vary of course, but you may find your IRN will surprise you, just like Fang did me!

Wishing you all the best for birdie's big move, and don't forget to share some pictures of birdie if you got 'em!

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels

Thanks for any advice
Wow I just upgraded cages to a much bigger one for both the love birds and my Alex today. As of the moment they are all checking out their new digs. They all seem happy and as I putting their toys in the new cage I had them sitting next to it and I said things in my happy and soft voice like oh boy this is fun - OH ! Your gonna love this right here ! He watched with interest and even made his happy noise occasionally. Now its 3 hours later- all in new cages and My Alex is actually playing with his toys he never touched before!!! YAY! So I say Good Luck- Make your baby a part of the process and maybe it will make things go smoother! Good Luck!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts