Moving my Alexandrine

Kiki9

Jan 1, 2023
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Hello, I just wanna ask if someone have any advice for me.
I have a Alexandirine for almost 10 years, when he was little he had big problem with cages (maybe some psychological trauma before I had it), when I take him home I put him in cage he was in cage for more than month, he was on quiet place, no one bother him for few days, then I start talk to him every day, he seem happy, he ran in cage, whistle, climb etc, so I decided to open cage and let him out, it takes few hours before he got the courage to go out, but he did it and seem happy to climb out and fly etc.
Then was time to go back to the cage, obviously he was hungry and thirsty so he go in a cage, but when I want to close a cage, he always got scared and instantly flew away, so I wait until night and close it when he could not see, but after few trips out of a cage he don't want to go in, he rather don't eat or drink for days then go in, so I put food and water out of the cage, then he start eat and drink again, after that throughout the years I tried put his favorite food or toys in a cage and he never ever put even a feather in, then after about 6-7years I decided remove the cage completely. It never was a problem, I love him every second of my life I spend with him as much time as I can, but now I have some family issues and maybe I may have to move from our apartment and I don't have an idea how to move him after 10 years from his home, does anyone have any advice please?

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    IMG_2404.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 44

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Your English is fine. To just move him, he has to be moved in a cage, unless he is harness trained and it does not sound like he is. Once in a new apartment and he is acclimated to it, you can try letting have free reign of the new place. I suggest explaining things to him, in detail and several times before you actually have to move. They understand a lot more then you might think, especially if he has been with you for that long. WHen I have to be away for a few days, if I explain it to Salty, he is OK when I return. If i neglect to do that, he is angry and resentful for awhile.

Most Reactions