Moving out of state with a parrot?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My husband and I are moving out of state in July and are trying to start planning for the move and trying to get a to-do list together so we aren't scrambling a month before we leave. One thing I'm not clear on is what kind of paperwork we need to get for Kiwi. I'm assuming we will need the vet here to give him some kind of written clean bill of health? Are we also going to have to get him banded/microchipped (it would be our preference not to, but if we have to, we will)?

Also, we need to start looking at a temporary housing situation (apartment) until we get settled up there and can look for a house. We don't want to live in "pet friendly" apartments around dogs for a few months either. I know it's completely irrational, but dog poo and dogs licking/sniffing at me terrifies me, and I just can't be in an apartment complex that has lots and lots of dogs (with the potential for lots and lots of irresponsible dog owners). Our current apartments have a no pet policy, but allow us to have Kiwi since he isn't the kind of animal who will poo in the courtyard and bark all night long. I'm wondering if getting a "letter of reference" from our current landlord saying Kiwi has never caused any damages to the apartment or gotten any complaints in 5 years, if that may make another landlord of a typically no pet complex more willing to let us have him?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I think the rules vary from state to state. I only know my own state's policies. But you should be able to do an internet search on the state's DEP regulations for pet birds. When i got Gilbert from out of state, I had emailed NJ DEP prior and gave them a head's up and they told me the easiest way to handle it, all by email.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
The only state that requires a permit to keep parrots is New Jersey.

Some states ban Quakers.

Golden Conures are regulated under the Endangered Species Act but this is a federal regulation. This means you cannot sell them to someone in another state. I'm not sure how it applies to owners of the species who move.

There are no laws against taking an Amazon or other species across state lines.

All this information can be found by using search engines. None of it is secret.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
seriously? NJ is the only state that requires a permit? I never knew (always being in Jersey). In some ways i think the permit is a good idea in theory, because you have to list the avian vet, the caging, what the bird is being fed, etc. on the initial application. However i seriously doubt there is any investigating if the bird is believed to be kept inadequately, so......it becomes more of an annual $20 fee. (says the cynic in me)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
No paperwork or microchipping will be required for Kiwi, as stated. That said, it wouldn't hurt to have it done!

As far as housing, I think that's a good idea. I know many places have a no pet policy, but that's typically in regards to cats and dogs. Caged animals and animals in aquariums may be able to slide in under that rule. I used to live in a place that had a no pets policy, yet people still kept dogs, cats and caged animals. Only two or three people had dogs, and only one was a medium/large breed. Cats were more commonly kept. I had birds. One person had an aquarium, there were a couple of turtles, rats, etc.

I now live in a place with breed restrictions (not my choice), but besides saying a white lie about my dog (said my dog is a mutt, which is true, but I know that one of his parents is an akita, a breed that might be on the 'bad list', other parent probably pit but don't know for sure), we've had no issues.

I'm contemplating on moving into a (rented) house with a no pets policy, although after speaking to one of the owners, caged animals are fine, cats are *maybe* fine, and dogs are a big no-no. If I did move, I'd only be taking my birds. It's not an ideal place for a dog anyway, and I wouldn't be allowed to separate my cat from her brother. She'd probably be fine with it, but her big ol' tuff brother (siblings that are same age) would be upset.

It doesn't hurt to ask around and see what people are willing to allow. Worse case scenario that I can think of, is that you might have to stay at a pet friendly motel, which means there may be dogs. As long as Kiwi is able to remain with you in the move, I think that's most important! :)

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
seriously? NJ is the only state that requires a permit? I never knew (always being in Jersey). In some ways i think the permit is a good idea in theory, because you have to list the avian vet, the caging, what the bird is being fed, etc. on the initial application. However i seriously doubt there is any investigating if the bird is believed to be kept inadequately, so......it becomes more of an annual $20 fee. (says the cynic in me)

I just read that one other state, New Mexico, does have some restrictions on certain parrots. http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/apps_permit/documents/importation/DIRECTORSIMPORTLISTAUGUST32010.pdf

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Thanks everybody! As suggested by ruffled feathers, I think I will go ahead and email the states were traveling through regarding their requirements just to be safe. I just remember reading an article/story once (though it was regarding an international move) where the people didn't have the right paperwork and their birds were confiscated for several months while the owners fought to get them back. I couldn't imagine how awful it would be to have Kiwi confiscated, even overnight, just because we didn't obtain some bill of health or something. We've both lived in the same area out entire lives, so this is an entirely new experience for us.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
Thanks everybody! As suggested by ruffled feathers, I think I will go ahead and email the states were traveling through regarding their requirements just to be safe. I just remember reading an article/story once (though it was regarding an international move) where the people didn't have the right paperwork and their birds were confiscated for several months while the owners fought to get them back. I couldn't imagine how awful it would be to have Kiwi confiscated, even overnight, just because we didn't obtain some bill of health or something. We've both lived in the same area out entire lives, so this is an entirely new experience for us.

Where do you imagine this confiscation taking place? There are inspection stations only in 2 areas in the U.S.

California has agricultural inspection stations at all highway crossings. I've traveled with my birds in and out of California many times. They have no interest or authority over birds.

The second place where you would be stopped and inspected is about 50 miles north of the Mexican border in Arizona and New Mexico (maybe Texas, I can't recall) if you are heading North. These are "supposed" to be inspections for people coming into the U.S. without proper documentation, even though the stops are not at the border. They also check for drugs and contraband of course.

I cannot imagine who you would even call in most states regarding traveling with a parrot!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
I just happened to read this, and it appears it should be relatively simple for you. Maybe a quick vet call to keep yourself covered (i am the same way--would rather take even excessive precautions than pay for it later).
Birds and Law
there is a part about inter-state travel and how it is relatively simple (except with a quaker).

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Sodakat- if you read what I wrote, the story was regarding an international move, I believe from the US to Mexico, so yes, it was a different situation. Still makes me want to be sure I'm doing everything right. I live in AZ and have been through the "inspection" stations many times traveling to CA. Some of those workers are real you-know-what's, and I would just rather be safe than sorry regarding my bird. Since I have never moved or traveled out of state with an animal, I was just asking about something I don't know much about.

julya

Nov 30, 2012
Parrots
Green Cheek Amazon
I took Ollie on a trip to Las Vegas from California last month. On the way back we had to go through the inspection stations and they didn't stop us, just waved us through. They stopped the car ahead of us that had out of state plates, and talked to them for a while. Good luck with your move!

Yve

Sep 20, 2013
In a jungle in Puerto Rico
Parrots
I have an amazon parrot named Taino El Bravo
Hello. I am new and I know that this posting is not recent but I wanted to share my story when I moved from California to Puerto Rico. My parrot Taino and I moved here last year. When I was in the process of buying my airline ticket and mentioned I was traveling with my parrot--lo and behold--what a surprise!! Most airlines do not permit avians as traveling companions. My despair skyrocketed!! Thankfully, Delta airlines was accommodating (I just needed to provide them with Taino's vet certificate of good health). I am forever grateful for Delta airlines. On this note, I highly recommend them!! Taino and I now live in Puerto Rico in the jungle with a huge natural avian community :) :green1:TAINO:green1:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
This is a late post. I have done extensive traveling around the US and never heard you had to check with any state regarding the movement of pet birds. The only places that actually inspect your car are Texas for illegal immigrants and California for agricultural products. I think there are regs to follow if you are commercially selling birds. If you need peace of mind then call the Department of Ag and see if there are restrictions. Personally, your pet was acquired legally, so why go looking for trouble?

I think you are worrying needlessly unless you are doing an international move. Then you must deal with CITES.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I know Quakers are banned in California... but I also know someone that got hers through the inspection by claiming it was a dusky conure. The Inspector didn't know the difference. All he did was check his list and see that it wasn't a banned bird.

I wouldn't advise this though.

We came into Texas from California, and weren't inspected anywhere other than the New Mexico border. They only asked if we had fruit with us.

Wiley

Aug 18, 2021
It's harder than it looks, about as difficult a pet move as you can make. There are many factors to consider, and the most important is your parrot's ability to adapt.
No matter how long you think your move will take, it could take much longer. And even though the parrot may be fine for months, there's always a chance the worst could happen.
It's stressful for the bird, and it's stressful for you. You have to worry about finding a good new home. If you have some money, that may not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Note sure if your are aware, but this is a fairly old Thread and much has changes over the years.

Having a mid-to large Parrot Microchipped is an excellent method of identifying your Parrot as our Southern Board has become open to blackmarket Parrots entering North America. The combination of a Microchip and your Parrots Medical Records will help in confirming that your Parrot is in fact yours.

Most Reactions

Latest posts