moving to virginia

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So, once I finish school (mid may 2022) I am seriously debating moving to virginia. It's cheaper to live there (as opposed to where I am living with my parents currently in Colorado) and I actually have friends there. Obviously I will be bringing the birds with me but I have never moved in my life let alone with such sensitive animals like birds. So I have a few questions;

1. How the heck do you move across the country and keep stress a minimum for the birds? I would have to drive.
2. Does anyone know any CAVs in the Richmond area?
3. Does anyone know any parrot resources in the area? shops, groups, etc?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations for looking forward to the next phase of your life! Transporting parrots nearly cross country possible with compact carriers and pet-friendly hotels along the way. Controlling temperature with summer looming critical as is ensuring overnight rooms fully ventilated precluding chemical residues. Selecting a hotel with opening windows/balcony and staff willing to cautiously prep room paramount!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am moving as well in a little over a month. When we were showing our house we rearranged, cleaned, packed, and made quite a few changes. My ekkie was very sensitive to these changes. He didn't eat as much, and he picked out a few extra feathers then what I was used to seeing. My conure did just fine, and if anything enjoyed watching all of the changes. I wish there were medications for parrots that get overly stressed easily. Nico my ekkie gets into ruts, and likes things very routine. I usually give him a shower in the morning, and then feed him. A few times I've had to do it backwards, and he screamed/crouched down, and flapped his wings. He made it well known that he didn't care for the change.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The roads are filled with Traveling Parrots and their families. The Snow Birds traveling between North and South, Vacationers, and those moving across the County. There are any number of Threads here on ParrotForum documenting the preparation and the move. Search a bit and enjoy!

IMHO, the most important preparation is to get your Parrots out and riding about in your Auto! The more comfortable they become, the better for everyone!

Remember that Parrots pick-up on our emotional state with ease and keeping yourself comfortable will go along way in keeping them the same.

Most Reactions