Moyo the hedgehog 8/31/14-10/6/16

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
He isn't a parrot, but he was one of my best friends for nearly 2 years.

I lost my hedgehog last night after a long battle with whatever he had. We never really got an answer from any of the vets we took him too. I tried to save him, and he actually had another appointment today, but I came home yesterday to find him gone next to his water bowl. Hedgehog life spans are 4-5 years. Moyo only lived two. He was gone way too soon, but his two years were happy ones.

Hedgehogs aren't normally cuddly animals, and normally they take a long time to bond with their hoomans. Moyo, on the other hand, became really excited when he first met he and then snuggled with me all of the way home. He loved people and he loved cuddling. There were times I would put him on the floor to let him explore and he would come back to me (almost insulted that I dared put him down actually). The only time he would run around on the floor is when he had visitors to sniff. One time, I saw a girl crying, and I happened to be walking home from campus with Moyo in my purse, so I pulled him out and let her hold him. The happiness on her face was priceless. There was nothing Moyo loved more than being loved and loving. A scientific study may come out next year that hedgehogs don't really love or whatever, but I strongly believe I had one complete refutation to that theory. Moyo's name means "heart" in Swahili, and I don't think there is one person he encountered that can't say he didn't give all of his.

Last edited:

happy410

Jul 23, 2015
ALABAMA
Parrots
Happy, DYH Amazon
Tesla, Blue & Gold Macaw
I'm sorry. Although a short life, is sounds like you two had a great life together. You'll always have the memories.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
So very sorry for your loss. Moyo has a special place in your heart that will never diminish.

OP
P

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel

(This is how he snuggled. He would flatten himself in my hand and purr.)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deep condolences for your loss of Moyo. What a beautiful hedgehog, a wonderful ambassador for his species.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, PhoenixJay,

So sorry you didn't have more time with that little darling. Still, I think you squeezed 4-5 years of lovin' into 2. I will never forget that face I just looked at. Rest in peace, little heart.

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I'm very sorry you lost your hedgie. Im sure the bond you two had was wonderful.I also believe they are capable of love. My gypsi will be I think 4 in April. She has already slowed down,but I still get her to run outside most days...she loves the grass and digging up bugs. My thoughts and hugs are with you during this rough time.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how hard you fought for him:( What a beautiful boy he was. They really come in and steal our hearts, and even when small leave such a huge void when they go. My heart goes out to you.

Most Reactions