My 2 Quaker parrot siblings want to Mate, what do i do?

Husky

Dec 7, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrots
Hi everyone, as many of you know i found a nest of 3 quaker parrots without parents being around when they were just a week old, now they are 3 months old and beautiful and loving as ever, i have asked on this forum before if i should have seperated them while young so that they would be able to fit into a new home easier without missing their siblings, and many said i should keep them together and it wasnt neccesary to seperate them, problem is yesterday i woke up to seeing one of my parrots on top of the other trying to mate, i never added a mating box to their cages nor anything encouraging them to mate, i had two people interested in adopting one each and i was going to keep one for myself.

Im not sure what to do now, i dont want the 2 siblings to stay together and breed within the same family line, but im scared that they have bonded and if i seperate them before going to a new home they might get really sad and depressed, and i want what is best for them, please help out if you have any suggestions on what i should do!!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Separate them, and just allow them to interact as much as possible out of the cage. You can reintroduce them if the behavior stops.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It was great to keep them together as chick's, very healthy for development.

What you saw was probably practice behavior. They would all still be hanging out with each other and starting to help raise siblings if the parents had re clutched. So I wouldn't be worried of a " pair bond "

Congratulations on raising these 3 up! If weaned and eating on their own they are ready to go to new home.

Quakers are really social, so there is going to be some adjustments when tgey go to new home.
Any pictures?? ❤

OP
H

Husky

Dec 7, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrots
It was great to keep them together as chick's, very healthy for development.

What you saw was probably practice behavior. They would all still be hanging out with each other and starting to help raise siblings if the parents had re clutched. So I wouldn't be worried of a " pair bond "

Congratulations on raising these 3 up! If weaned and eating on their own they are ready to go to new home.

Quakers are really social, so there is going to be some adjustments when tgey go to new home.
Any pictures?? ❤
Here are some videos i had saved on my pc at the moment hehe

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2021-12-02 at 10.19.34 AM.mp4
    490.5 KB
  • VID-20220225-WA0013.mp4
    7.1 MB
OP
H

Husky

Dec 7, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrots
thank you so much for your response, yeah they are eating all by themselves, take baths together and always preen eachother, it breaks my heart not to be able to keep them all with me, they have become my life haha, and im really hoping they want get too sad missing me and their siblings when they each go to their new homes.

I will of course keep in contact with those adopting them to see their progress and how they are fitting in

OP
H

Husky

Dec 7, 2021
Parrots
Quaker parrots
Separate them, and just allow them to interact as much as possible out of the cage. You can reintroduce them if the behavior stops.
okey, i tried sepparating them, and they screeched a lot for eachother, so now i kept their separate cages close by, and ill see how they react for the rest of the day, and hope they will be okey at the homes of their new families without missing eachother too much, someone did ask me if they could adopt both siblings together, but i dont know if its adviseable since i dont want them breeding with eachother not at my house nor anyone elses, especially being siblings hehe

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Awwww those are some adorable babies!!!!!! Be still my heart!!!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yep I'm sure they aren't happy. Good to get the routine started. Tho when I got my baby from the breeder all the babies were together. I stuck my arm in and tge one who jumped on me I chose. He came home and never acted like he missed his siblings. Tho I had my green cheek already and they became friends.
Quaker are very prone to becoming screamers.

You can DNA test online, I get a link fir you. Then you can send 2 together if same sex

I just barely tip a toe nail place one drop on a sheet of paper ( you print tge form) tgrn I place flour on the nail and hold till bleeding stops

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What cute birds! You are so lucky (and hardworking) to have had this experience. I would love to see wild Quakers or have a baby Q.

Most Reactions

Latest posts