My 47 year old Yellow Amazon has cataract on left eye

marysiawojcik

May 24, 2016
My 47 year old Double Yellow Head Amazon Parrot has recently developed a cataract on his left eye. He's not a great candidate for surgery and was wondering if anyone has any information on how to treat this.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, we are seeing more of this kind of medical issues with our older Parrots.

Outside of surgery, there is little one can do except to adjust for a steady loss of sight in that eye. Adjust the cage and haut any changing of the layout of the cage and general area around you DYH. Clearly, move any bright light sources further from your Amazon to safeguard the other eye.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I donā€™t think there is a treatment if they canā€™t remove the cataract. BUT you can keep his environment more or less the same and not have many new people over so he isnā€™t startled by change or strange voices.

OP
M

marysiawojcik

May 24, 2016
Sadly, we are seeing more of this kind of medical issues with our older Parrots.

Outside of surgery, there is little one can do except to adjust for a steady loss of sight in that eye. Adjust the cage and haut any changing of the layout of the cage and general area around you DYH. Clearly, move any bright light sources further from your Amazon to safeguard the other eye.
Contacted several vets who said the cataract surgery was risky and costs several thousands of dollars and then cataract can reoccur...

OP
M

marysiawojcik

May 24, 2016
Contacted several vets who said the cataract surgery was risky and costs several thousands of dollars and then cataract can reoccur...
Have just heard about some drops that are being used for dogs cataracts that have no adverse side effects. Am wondering if and infusion in his little room of these drops might be of some assistance.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Sometimes eyedrops are not usable in birds because of birdsā€™ relatively small size. The drops can have systemic effect rather than mostly an effect on the eye (as they do in larger animals like dogs).

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Just curiousā€¦are there bright or LED lights near the bird cage? Iā€™ve been reading about possible bad effects of long term exposure to LED light. Itā€™s getting to be common knowledge that exposure to the blue light of screens interferes with sleep patterns. But just recently Iā€™ve seen many pre-publication articles about retinal damage with long term LED exposure. And arenā€™t cataracts more common in people who donā€™t wear sunglasses? It makes me curious about the best lighting for captive indoor birds. Lots of places push full spectrum lights, supposedly for vitamin D production, but now I wonder if too much or incorrect supplemental lighting can be bad for the eyes.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
retinas arenā€™t damaged in cataracts. Itā€™s a deposit near the front of the eye, maybe on the lens? That blocks light and makes it difficult to see. The retina is at the back of the eye.

I have done a lot of reading about full spectrum light, and if you are using one of those lamps close up to the bird, as recommended, for an Amazon only about 2 hours of that strong light a day is recommended (this is from a veterinary journal when I was researching whether to get one of those lights for my birds).

Many older people and animals have cataracts. Over your lifetime, the lens opacifies and the person or animal cannot focus. Itā€™s not surprising that a 47 y. o. Amazon would have cataracts. It is a disorder of old age.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Lighting, whether traditional or LED full spectrum is best used as 'general room lighting' and to follow the general light of the normal day in your area. Setting a bright light next to your Parrot has never been a good idea.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
retinas arenā€™t damaged in cataracts. Itā€™s a deposit near the front of the eye, maybe on the lens? That blocks light and makes it difficult to see. The retina is at the back of the eye.

I have done a lot of reading about full spectrum light, and if you are using one of those lamps close up to the bird, as recommended, for an Amazon only about 2 hours of that strong light a day is recommended (this is from a veterinary journal when I was researching whether to get one of those lights for my birds).

Many older people and animals have cataracts. Over your lifetime, the lens opacifies and the person or animal cannot focus. Itā€™s not surprising that a 47 y. o. Amazon would have cataracts. It is a disorder of old age.
Yes, that's right, I am mixing apples in with my oranges. I was thinking about cataracts being caused by UV exposure, mostly sunlight, and probably most wild birds don't live long enough for this to be a problem. But full-spectrum lights do have significant UV components, and it made me wonder if it's a bad idea to have strong lights on for a long time. The part about LED and retinal damage, I have just been reading about that, and I should have separated it better in my comments. It was kind of hey, I wonder if supplemental lighting causes other problems as well.

Your suggestion about using the lights for just a few hours a day seems really good. We have UV filtering coatings on all our windows, and don't get much direct light because of trees, so i was thinking of getting some supplemental light. One more thing to research...

Most Reactions