My african grey chewed on a non scented candle.

Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
Hello, recently my weaning parrot was flying around and found a non scented candle and started chewing it, i dont think he ate it cause he just made a mess everywhere of it. I wanted to know if he would be okay or do i need him checked

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
What type of candle ? What was the wax? Bees wax I'd imagine head be okay but I'd call his AV to make sure. Ask I'd feeding sctived charcoal is good idea

OP
A
Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
What type of candle ? What was the wax? Bees wax I'd imagine head be okay but I'd call his AV to make sure. Ask I'd feeding sctived charcoal is good idea
Im not really sure but it didn’t have a scent and it looked like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 51

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
If this was my bird I would do the activated charcoal immediately and call my avain vet. Because this looks like one of the common candles made in China. Candles from China contain lead not to mention whatever dye they use.
Check reflexes and monitor his eat l, drinking, activity and poop.

Please call your vet (if you don't have one yet call around) and reach out to the person (breeder or store) where you purchased your little squawker! Please let us know how he is doing

OP
A
Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
he is in the weaning stage, is the activated charcoal safe for him yet, and also how much to put.
If this was my bird I would do the activated charcoal immediately and call my avain vet. Because this looks like one of the common candles made in China. Candles from China contain lead not to mention whatever dye they use.
Check reflexes and monitor his eat l, drinking, activity and poop.

Please call your vet (if you don't have one yet call around) and reach out to the person (breeder or store) where you purchased your little squawker! Please let us know how he is doin

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
he is in the weaning stage, is the activated charcoal safe for him yet, and also how much to put.
I don't know. I've only had adult birds. I'm not sure about dosage... I've only ever used organic activated Charcoal. I do not believe you can overdose. Have you called anyone ?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If this candle was beeswax, I think you don’t have anything to worry about at all. If it was paraffin, still probably pretty safe. The phrase we hope for is “this too shall pass.” Looks like the grey didn’t eat much of the candle. It is the wicks that often contain lead.

I would not be too upset but watch him carefully and if he spits out or barfs up any wax, take it away. It’s good it’s unscented because cinnamon oil could be strong for the lining of his mouth, crop and stomach.

It would be good to have him checked by the vet. But I hope he will be ok. How is he doing?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Paraffin wax is also non toxic, if food grade. This is the wax used to shine up fruit so it doesn’t dry out as quickly.

OP
A
Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
I don't know the exact reason to this, but he is less excited to see me, I don't know if its cause of the candle or the reason that he is leaving the weaning stage. Also, he has been screaming less like he used to. Again, this could be because he is getting older or, something happened with the candle. Plus, I don't think he ate it, he only chewed it and it was all over the floor. I'm going to go get it checked out but if you could reply and give your opinion on this behavior it would be helpful. Here is a picture of his poop if it helps:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
OP
A
Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
Hello, recently my weaning parrot was flying around and found a non scented candle and started chewing it, i dont think he ate it cause he just made a mess everywhere of it. I wanted to know if he would be okay or do i need him checked

Or he’s tired from all the excitement of last night?I w
I was thinking, maybe since he is getting fed 40 ml of formula a day now so he is not that much energetic as before?

OP
A
Sep 18, 2022
Parrots
African grey
Decrease, he recently has started eating a bit of hard foods and wouldn't want to eat more than 40 ml a day, so I asked some experts I knew, and they said I could limit it to 40 ml a day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts