My alexandrine parrot not well and i have to put to sleep

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Hi,
Im a new pet owner i got two alexandrine parrots, 1 female and 1 male both the male is almost 1 years old and couple of months ago he took the turn for the worst,
He was a very happy playful and joy of this family parrot, one day i noticed him dragging his foot to walk, and i took him to the vets but after the vist to the avian vet he just got worse and worse hes at the stage now he is so unwell hes more of a slug then a parrot he can only move with the usw of his head, he keeps falling of his cages and only likes to stay in one place, so he doesnt harm him self and made the cage small... Making sure his fav space was not comprimised.
The dr was not able to find a cure and what ever they thought he had never made him better via the mdeicine. I went to see the vwt today and they said its only matter of time you will have to put him to sleep because of the quailty of life etc. Im obviously emotionaly upset because we love him and also i dont know if i havd the rights to do this... Or should i do it.. Or should i let nature take its course. Pls help me. :green: i hate to see him like this.

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, GoffinĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re going through this horrible situation. Itā€™s absolutely heartbreaking.

Is your vet a certified avian vet(CAV)? Would it be possible to seek a second opinion from a different CAV? Iā€™m not sure if, at this point, it could make a difference in the outcome, but it may be something to consider. I know for myself, I would seek a second opinion to know that I did everything I could before choosing euthanasia.

My heart goes out to you.

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Problem is due to covid no body is taking and refers.
It really is hard. I never thought i would face with a challenge like this. So what do you think i should dooo

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello Fizaelahi, welcome to the Forums although I wish it were under happier circumstances. I agree with catastrophe that perhaps a second opinion from a different vet may be in order. If you let us know which part of the world you are located in we may be able to help you to find one.

I'm so sorry you are going through this and wish you and your Alexes all the very best. Feathered hugs to you.

catastrophe

Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Parrots
Loki - Sun conure; Lucifer, GoffinĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Cockatoo; Tink, Mustached Parakeet; Mr. Grinch, DYH Amazon
Have you tried every avian vet you can reach from your location? If you absolutely cannot get a second opinion, and your bird is suffering, I would personally opt for euthanizing. Our vet wonā€™t let owners in, but they come to the vehicle and take your bird in for appointments. Is it possible a vet in your area is doing something similar? You could try using the app TeleVet to speak with an avian vet at another facility/state/country, but without testing, they may not have much information or any solution for you, unfortunately.

This is just what *I* would do. Please donā€™t take this as me telling you what *you* should do. Youā€™re the only person who should and can make these kinds of decisions for your bird. Still hoping for a positive outcome for you and your bird [emoji1665]

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums community. I'm so sorry you're going through this with your Alexandrine. As LaManuka mentioned, we might be able to help if you give us an idea of your location.

Did the vet test for kidney issues? He's on the young side for that, granted, but when the kidneys become inflamed they often swell and impinge on the sciatic nerves that run right between them. This compromises their ability to walk. If this is the case, anti-inflammatory medication might ease the swelling enough for him to regain the use of his legs.

If you absolutely can't reach another vet, perhaps the current one can at least try prescribing an anti-inflammatory.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My heart hurts for you . Its frustrating when you try and find help, but the cause remains a mystery..

A college of Veterinarian Medicine might be a good option if there is one within a couple of hours of you?
Chronic metal toxicity is a possibility.....

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Hi thank you guys for all your help,
I would like to post a video of the way the parrot maybe you guys might have come accross it.
I am in london, battersea,
The only avian vet that will see me was this and it checked for everything.. Kidney, toxic.. And we have given medication for everything... They have told me to carry on with the pain killers to help him ease the pain whilst i make my final decision of what to doo.
He is soo poorly and the thought of putting him to sleep puts me in tears. I cant believe my parrot became like this under my watch. The vet said this was nothing of my doings and he was just a very unwell parrot.
I hope she is right i cant help but think other wise.

All of your concerns been so sweet. I feel so alone with this as no one around me is a pet owner or even understand what im going through.
Pls guys i really need to make a decision..
You think i should put my parrot out its misery? How do i know if he needs me to do this? How do i know if hes in pain or hes manging his condtion?:green:

I cant get second opinion no one else is taking new cases.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry for you. And yes we do know how much it hurts.

You have tried and done great showing yiur love. Have no doubt of that.

I have had to make this decision with beloved dogs and a cat that was with me for 17 years.

At each point I felt they let me know that this was the last kindness i could do for them. It was the hardest thing, but it shows our deepest love.

I can only say listen to your heart. If your heart says fight, fight. If your heart says it's time, be brave.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm so sorry for the terrible situation you find yourself in, Fizaelahi. It is such a difficult question, as we cannot know for sure what is going on in an animal's mind or heart. I've been on both sides of the equation unfortunately. Sometimes they let us know in no uncertain terms that they have had enough, but some are just so determined to keep on fighting despite what they may be experiencing.

No-one can know your bird better than you. I once had a budgie with testicular cancer who lived a wonderful quality of life on daily pain medication and birdie chemo every three months until he finally let me know that he was done. Even so, it was heartbreaking to let him go because I loved him so much and he had fought so hard, but I knew in my heart what I had to do. If your Alex is still interested in food, toys, treats and interacting with you and his mate, then these are indications that he still has a reasonable quality of life. However, if he no longer cares about food, is depressed and withdrawn, and if he has more bad days than good and no longer seems to get any enjoyment out of being alive, then it may be time.

It's a very painful situation that you are in with no easy or definite answers, and my heart goes out to you. I wish you peace with whichever decision you ultimately make.

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Hi @lamanuk,
You have made a very valid point about if his quailty of life,

I think hes in pain but still wants to live, because when ever you put food down or you have seeds, bless him no matter how and where he is he will try to get to his food with what everr difficulties,
So like you made a point about ur bird fighted through cancer... I think hes fighting through, and with the pain relief were giving him i should let him live as long as he as he wants to.

But just to add to his body condition his neck is all bare skin now from the ill health, he keeps opening his on a regular basis like hes trying to get food out (i really dont know why he is doing this as he isnt gasping for air) his own wing you can see skin but this could be from where he has scaped him self.
I feel like if i put him to sleep, im only doing it for a easy way out?? Because maybe he still wants to live

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
This is always the hardest decision in life. My experience with many of God's creatures is that they accept the end of life far better than we do. In this situation there is really only one decision and that is to eliminate your feelings in all this which believe me I totally understand, and consider only your parrot.

If you are confident in the vet's appraisal then you should be guided by them. They do not put animals down lightly and will try everything they know to save them. Get as much information as you can as to what the problem might be but once you have been down every avenue there is little choice. Bear in mind that parrots will do their very best to hide their sickness. This is instinctive but if he is so sick do you really want to extend his pain until his eventual death or do you want to release him to fly free?

It's the hardest decision in the world but you have to put his well being first. Very best wishes at this difficult time.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hi thank you guys for all your help,
I would like to post a video of the way the parrot maybe you guys might have come accross it.
I am in london, battersea,
The only avian vet that will see me was this and it checked for everything.. Kidney, toxic.. And we have given medication for everything... They have told me to carry on with the pain killers to help him ease the pain whilst i make my final decision of what to doo.
He is soo poorly and the thought of putting him to sleep puts me in tears. I cant believe my parrot became like this under my watch. The vet said this was nothing of my doings and he was just a very unwell parrot.
I hope she is right i cant help but think other wise.

All of your concerns been so sweet. I feel so alone with this as no one around me is a pet owner or even understand what im going through.
Pls guys i really need to make a decision..
You think i should put my parrot out its misery? How do i know if he needs me to do this? How do i know if hes in pain or hes manging his condtion?:green:

I cant get second opinion no one else is taking new cases.

I welcome you during the most heartbreaking of situations. Did the avian vet give a diagnosis or suggestion of primary conditions? If you wish to post a video, best method is link via YouTube or Vimeo. It is not possible to uplink direct to forum from any device.

Quality of life is difficult to define as our life cycle is so different from a parrot. Certainly eating, attachment to favorite person or people, and freedom from continuous pain are helpful quality. As primary caretaker, you will have to rely on your background, feelings, and professional sources such as a skilled vet.

I wish you and your alex the very best. Regardless of outcome, we are here for you.

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
I think you made a valid point about see if he wanta to live and as he is still trying to eat and making movemwnts insuppose he still wants to live so ill give him a chance. When he stops eating and is a real danger to him self ill consider it then, for now im going to keep him and look after him and maybe he will pull through and suprise us all....
Hes doing this new thing now he keeps opening his mouth with out sound but like he is choking. He keeps opening his mouth like he is trying to pull something out of his stomach. Is that a sign of some thing???

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Very good points, the lack of eating by any animal is critical sign. Parrots try to hide illness as long as possible, so expression of pain is limited.

What you describe is similar to "crop adjusting." Parrots silently open their beaks, often pull forward a bit. Normal periodic activity, but may be unrelated if you are first noticing.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Could he be gasping for breath? I am so sorry you and your parrot are going through this. Can you get a second opinion? I am only saying this because I was in a similar situation with a dog and after multiple vets her terminal tumor wasnā€™t terminal after all nor in the location the original vet had said it was. If I would have listened to the first vet she would have been euthanized that day. The vet was actually upset I wouldnā€™t do it and had a colleague confirm his inaccurate diagnosis.

OP
F

Fizaelahi

Dec 15, 2020
Scot what is this crop adjusting, does it mean hes in pain??
I really do want to get second advice. And ill try again.
Parrots do hide there illness very well.... So what you think i should do... Listsn to the vet as it would know parrits better?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Crop adjustment, if that's what your bird is doing, is a normal occurrence and is part of the digestive process.

I don't know which vet you are currently seeing, but I found a list of avian vets in the UK, so you may wish to contact a different one to get a second opinion. Your vet should be able to tell you if your bird is in pain and whether his condition is manageable or not.

https://theparrotsocietyuk.org/site/files/resources/avian-vets-2.pdf

Wishing you both all the very best!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Have you had x ray, and blood checked fir zinc levels?
https://birdtricksstore.com/blogs/birdtricks-blog/safe-metals-for-parrots
BIRDTRICKS MERCH
CONTACT US
LOGIN
CURRENCY

BirdTricks
BY BIRDDECEMBER 24, 2012
Safe Metals For Parrots

Camelot macaws

Q: I make a lot of toys for Puffin, my african grey, by myself. Her favorite ones are the hanging toys that I string up with rope, but now she bites through the rope and they end up on the bottom of the cage and get ā€œmessyā€, if you know what I mean. I want to use chain so she canā€™t bite her toys down but I donā€™t what metal is safe to use. What do you suggest?

Ashley G, Scranton, OH

A: This is a great question because while there are a few metals that are safe to use with parrots, there are many that are not. Making the wrong choices could result in heavy metal toxicity, which is dangerous for your bird and can be fatal if not treated.

Heavy metal toxicity most often occurs in birds when they have managed to ingest or chew on metals containing lead or zinc (most commonly seen) or copper, usually the result of chewing on wiring or pennies minted before 1982. Once swallowed, any pieces of metal that the birdā€™s body doesnā€™t pass will lie within the digestive system and continue to leech toxins into the body. The following is an x-ray of a bird with lead in its gizzard (ventriculus).

Photo by Lafebervet.com

Some symptoms of heavy metal toxicity are:

lethargy and depression
decreased appetite and weight loss
increased thirst
abnormal droppings: greenish black in color, blood in droppings, diarrhea
weakness/ ataxia: falling from perches, inability to fly or walk straight
vomiting
seizures
A bird may simply show signs of general and non-specific illness. The good news is that there are medications to relieve the symptoms of metal poisoning in birds and chelation therapy to help remove metals that remain in the birdā€™s body. There are cases, however, where metals remain unpassed by the bird despite all efforts. Largely, though, metal toxicity is repairable as long as it is caught before too much damage has been done.

Most Reactions

Latest posts