My aquarium at 4 months

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Been a while since Iā€™ve updated about my aquarium. It is now fully stocked (both with flora and fauna:p). In addition to Bamboo the Betta I have also added 4 Amano shrimp. The tank has also gone from 3 Marimo balls originally to those 3 balls plus 4 assorted plants, all of which are growing insanely fast with NO CO2 or fertilizers. Bamboo still seems to have ragged edges to his tail/fins, but they are no longer receding/actively rotting like they were after the initial case of fin rot. Iā€™ve read that in some Betta once they get it, they can be healed but never quite go back to normal. I believe this to be the case with Bamboo as he otherwise is very active for a beta and displays normal betta behavior from what I can tell.

The shrimps, while a nice addition, have been a logistical PITA. I initially bought 3, one climbed out and died (presumably up a cord and out the gap for the cords in the lid, which have now been plugged with filter sponge) and the other 2 ā€œdisappearedā€ for 2 weeks, presumed eaten, but were in fact living INSIDE the filter! This is the same filter I took out Mr. Newtā€™s tank because he climbed inside it too. I only discovered this fact when I pulled out the reusable filter media bag I change out bi-weekly and the shrimps came swimming out! Scared the $#!* out of me lol. I have since replaced that filter with a Aqueon shrimp filter and added 2 new shrimps and they all seem to be doing well (and are visbale) now. Poor fishy was falsely accused of being a shrimp killer when in fact he seems to avoid the shrimps. Itā€™s kind of cute, the shrimp tickle him with their feelers, which he appears not to appreciate and swims away quickly from lol.

I like this tank, not too big to be a major undertaking to keep clean. And yes! The water is tea-color NOT because it is dirty (I do a 30% water change weekly) rather due to the tannins from the crushed Indian almond leaves (aka capata leaves) I put in a tea bag in the filter. These natural tannins stain the water but provide a healthier environment for the animals:)

af7c47f5-bb44-445b-8c94-36831d07a938-jpeg.539648

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Wow that is a really nice set up for a Betta. What are the dimensions? I guess it will be about 50 cm long, 20 cm wide and high??

Really good work ! Most Bettas here and across the world get a rough deal :(

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Wow that is a really nice set up for a Betta. What are the dimensions? I guess it will be about 50 cm long, 20 cm wide and high??

Really good work ! Most Bettas here and across the world get a rough deal :(

Thanks! I put it in my office and enjoy having something pretty/relaxing to watch. Bamboo is very active and swims all over the tank. He plays in the current and has clearly chosen the upper left corner under the big plant leaves as his ā€œturfā€ whiners he builds his bubble nests:D This is the exact tank I got. Itā€™s rimless and some kind of special glass therefore a bit on the pricier side but really nice looking for a tiny tank- https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/7-5-...MI5N_U7KuW4QIVjiCtBh2lkQbOEAQYASABEgJ8V_D_BwE I had to cut a piece of plexiglass myself to make a lid as none is available.

It is both sad and infuriating that so many bettas suffer such abysmal care. According to the research I did before setting this tank up, most experts suggest 5-10 gallons for a betta to be able to live a long and happy life. Here in the US you can get a basic 5 or 10 gallon tank on sale at one of our chain stores for $5 or $10 (around the cost of a single fast food meal) when they do their ā€œdollar a gallonā€ sales every few months. A nice bowl or vase likely costs more than an appropriately sized tank! Honestly, I have no clue why anyone wants a lethargic/sickly/half dead fish in a murky vase or bowl anyways. Bluntly put, fish are ā€˜ornamentalā€™ pets and therefore it stands to reason you want them to be active, exhibit interesting/natural behaviors and be in an aesthetically pleasing tank large enough to actually swim around in. Otherwise, whatā€™s the point of having one? To torture it to death? I think some countries have was against fish in vases/bowls, but sadly the US and many others place little to no value on animal life:mad:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know much about fish (keeping them or eating them LOL).
Is this fresh water or salt water?
I got a frend at work that has a salt water tank. I know she has a couple of crabs of some sort. She has tried clown fish but both died in about a week, reason unknown.

My Mother had a salt water aquarium with some beautiful fish but got rid of it when she retired and moved out of state.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I don't know much about fish (keeping them or eating them LOL).
Is this fresh water or salt water?
I got a frend at work that has a salt water tank. I know she has a couple of crabs of some sort. She has tried clown fish but both died in about a week, reason unknown.

My Mother had a salt water aquarium with some beautiful fish but got rid of it when she retired and moved out of state.

It is a freshwater tank, and a rather ā€œbeginnersā€ setup (not using CO2, fertilizers, custom filtration etc...). Saltwater tanks, to my understanding, are a great deal more difficult to run than freshwater. There are more water parameters to keep in balance and the animals more sensitive to fluctuations. Saltwater is also significantly more expensive, especially the equipment needed.

I wonder if your friend has hermit crabs? Theyā€™re saltwater critters and apparently can live underwater!

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Another update- given how friendly and ā€œexcitedā€ to see us Bamboo seems, I decided to swap his location in the office with Mr. Newts tank out in the living room (who doesnā€™t care at all about anything so long as heā€™s fed). He is such an active fish! I always thought bettas just kind of floated there, but this guy is always swimming all over and seems pretty pleased to be in a more active room.

Irritatingly, despite spending a good chunk of money on a special ā€œshrimp proofā€ filter, 2 of the 4 shrimp (the smaller ones) are still living in it:rolleyes: I guess at this point, there is nothing more I can really do. The largest 2 are pretty active and do come out of hiding sometimes. I really wish there was some other more exciting critters I could add to this tank that wouldnā€™t overtax the bioload:33::33::33:

Here is a pic of mr newt and bamboo waiting as I drained and moved their respective tanks. Donā€™t they both just totally look over this being stuck in a cup crap:p I didnā€™t even bother trying to round up the shrimps. Too fast/small so I just left an inch or so of water in the tank as they scuttle around like it was the shrimp apocalypse (kinda felt bad, they were freaking out)

attachment.php

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
April it looks fantastic! Youā€™ve done wonderfully! I love the contemporary look for the whole set up!Did you cycle the tank first? Plants or plant less? Fish in or fishless?

I just last Sunday put up our 15 gallon column aquarium. I wanted to give it a second try, knowing more now than I did before, and want to do it right this time. I totally get the staining! I bought mopani driftwood and threw it in there on the first day. Next morning, completely brown water...Iā€™m now leaching the driftwood outside to avoid the worst of the staining. Iā€™m trying to do modest water changes daily to back off the stained water without interrupting cycling.

Just bought some ammonia to jumpstart the cycling process, hopefully be ready for fish in a couple weeks. But with a bunch of plants already in there it could complicatee and confuse th situation...

Most Reactions