My bird has started to play with this rope - is it alright?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello :) I have a male cockatiel named Kiko. Kiko is around 6-7 months of age.

He has recently started to take interest in playing with the rope that joins his bridge to a coconut. (Pic inserted before) when I first got him I ordered this coconut bridge from Amazon but I did not see that it has a hole cut out and is meant for tiny little birds. I was afraid Kiko will try to fit in it and get stuck, but he never really does that. He only bites and plays with the edges of it and occasionally puts his head half way in but has never tried to fully get in the hole.

This is a bridge, but it is attached in the cage in a way where itā€™s kind of like his bed. Every night he sleeps on this bridge and when heā€™s feeling sleepy or wants to chill in his cage alone he usually sits on the bridge and looks so cute šŸ„°

On Amazon it says that the rope is called ā€œhemp ropeā€ which holds kikos bridge and coconut together, but he has been kind of playing with it recently. Heā€™s not heavily chewing on it or anything but I think it still might be a cause for concern ?? I donā€™t know if this kind of rope is safe for birds or if the fibres can get stuck in their throat. (On Amazon it says that itā€™s safe for birds.)

I CANNOT get rid of this bridge. It is his absolute favourite thing and he will probably get very mad if I remove it. Another thing about Kiko is that heā€™s only doing this at night time. He has recently become very active and hyper
During the night time and runs and climbs around his cage. During the day time, heā€™s chill and chews/plays with toys or his favourite thing EVER: toothpicks (I cut off the sharp parts) and paper.

Another quick thing I would like to mention is that I will be getting Kiko an upgraded cage which will be a lot bigger and I will be buying more toys when we move which will be in July.

Should I leave it alone? What should I do? Thanks to anyone who replies :) ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 8F2590D1-3A96-4D11-B477-0AAE11292870.jpeg
    8F2590D1-3A96-4D11-B477-0AAE11292870.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 8D3E5F1D-A3FC-4B97-898C-8999A321DE49.jpeg
    8D3E5F1D-A3FC-4B97-898C-8999A321DE49.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 69B0BFC9-88AC-4706-A0FD-0589B911F2E3.jpeg
    69B0BFC9-88AC-4706-A0FD-0589B911F2E3.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 75C00EC7-5849-4F29-A780-E247B7266C00.jpeg
    75C00EC7-5849-4F29-A780-E247B7266C00.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 7CD62756-1B54-478B-B920-29FEFD06015B.jpeg
    7CD62756-1B54-478B-B920-29FEFD06015B.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 0B634956-EAF7-480D-8F5E-A9BA9B3A60A4.jpeg
    0B634956-EAF7-480D-8F5E-A9BA9B3A60A4.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 93

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Could you hang another toy he likes chewing right next to that part? To try to distract him from the rope?

I bet he's super adorable sleeping there!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Remove the bridge, disassemble it, restring it with safe rope like jute or hemp

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I second the opinion of restringing it. Cockatiels can be quite determined when they find something they like to chew on!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Just saw the the ad says its already hemp. i dont believe thats true. A lot of those cheap listing on amazon arent really safe in the long run and lie about their safety. it doesnt look like hemp

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Just saw the the ad says its already hemp. i dont believe thats true. A lot of those cheap listing on amazon arent really safe in the long run and lie about their safety. it doesnt look like hemp
Oh I did not know that šŸ˜­ I just read the reviews and they seemed safe for him. Should I not purchase things for kiko from Amazon at all? I was planning on getting his cage from them before but I read this review where someoneā€™s Quaker died because the cage was coated in some sort of unsafe substance or something, and that the cages are bad quality.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Oh I did not know that šŸ˜­ I just read the reviews and they seemed safe for him. Should I not purchase things for kiko from Amazon at all? I was planning on getting his cage from them before but I read this review where someoneā€™s Quaker died because the cage was coated in some sort of unsafe substance or something, and that the cages are bad quality.
some things on amazon are safe you just gotta have an eye out for the unsafe ones. The ones that are in bundles with usually 5+ items and those awful clips that you see in the picture are usually unsafe. stuff from like bonka bird toys is safe though

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
They sell jute rope at a dollar store called dollarama here in Canada. I think that should work :))
I'm also in Canada and the ones from the Dollar store have a strong chemical odour. I buy mine at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Just make sure it is unoiled, and smell it to make sure it just smells like rope.

OP
SafamirzašŸ¤

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
I'm also in Canada and the ones from the Dollar store have a strong chemical odour. I buy mine at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Just make sure it is unoiled, and smell it to make sure it just smells like rope.
Will sisal rope work?

Kitty16

Jun 10, 2022
US, Indiana
Parrots
2 Blue Budgies, the female is Skittle and the male is Milo.
Hello :) I have a male cockatiel named Kiko. Kiko is around 6-7 months of age.

He has recently started to take interest in playing with the rope that joins his bridge to a coconut. (Pic inserted before) when I first got him I ordered this coconut bridge from Amazon but I did not see that it has a hole cut out and is meant for tiny little birds. I was afraid Kiko will try to fit in it and get stuck, but he never really does that. He only bites and plays with the edges of it and occasionally puts his head half way in but has never tried to fully get in the hole.

This is a bridge, but it is attached in the cage in a way where itā€™s kind of like his bed. Every night he sleeps on this bridge and when heā€™s feeling sleepy or wants to chill in his cage alone he usually sits on the bridge and looks so cute šŸ„°

On Amazon it says that the rope is called ā€œhemp ropeā€ which holds kikos bridge and coconut together, but he has been kind of playing with it recently. Heā€™s not heavily chewing on it or anything but I think it still might be a cause for concern ?? I donā€™t know if this kind of rope is safe for birds or if the fibres can get stuck in their throat. (On Amazon it says that itā€™s safe for birds.)

I CANNOT get rid of this bridge. It is his absolute favourite thing and he will probably get very mad if I remove it. Another thing about Kiko is that heā€™s only doing this at night time. He has recently become very active and hyper
During the night time and runs and climbs around his cage. During the day time, heā€™s chill and chews/plays with toys or his favourite thing EVER: toothpicks (I cut off the sharp parts) and paper.

Another quick thing I would like to mention is that I will be getting Kiko an upgraded cage which will be a lot bigger and I will be buying more toys when we move which will be in July.

Should I leave it alone? What should I do? Thanks to anyone who replies :) ā¤ļø
Not completely related to the post but I was actually thinking of getting a very similar bridge that is attached to a coconut exactly like that, would you recommend these for budgies?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Not completely related to the post but I was actually thinking of getting a very similar bridge that is attached to a coconut exactly like that, would you recommend these for budgies?
TBH coconut huts can cause hormonal behaviour, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on them.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I have bought hemp and sisal rope and washed out the oily smell with dishwashing detergent. You just need to soak and rinse well without rubbing a lot so the rope doesnā€™t separate.

I wash a bunch of the rope or twine, dry it, and make a ball for later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts