My bird is picking at dried blood

Lovi83749

May 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Lovebirds
This is my first time on this forum. My two lovebirds live in the same cage. It is a big cage so usually they have enough room to separate if they get in a fight. A couple days ago my birdā€™s leg had some blood and Iā€™m guessing they got in a fight. She doesnā€™t seem like sheā€™s in pain. She can still land on it and walk perfectly fine. She just seems uncomfortable with the dry blood. She keeps picking at it and now there is even more dried blood on her feathers. In the past, when Iā€™ve sprayed water on feathers with dried blood, none of it comes out. I really donā€™t know what to do. Any advice? Do you think it will heal on its own?

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
What Laura said...pics would be helpful.

Jim

OP
L

Lovi83749

May 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Lovebirds
I have attached a photo of her leg. It looks like it is raw with some dry blood. I also think that she has removed most of the feathers with blood and left some bald spots around her leg, which aren't visible in the picture.

26234d1621528065-my-bird-picking-dried-blood-screen-shot-2021-05-20-9.27.00-am.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.27.00 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.27.00 AM.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have no familiarity with lovebirds and their behaviors, but age and sex may give insight into fighting. In my experience, birds who fight often escalate though not suggesting this is the case.

Birds will often pick at scabs or injured feathers. Does the injury appear to be worsening? If so, a visit to avian vet may be needed to properly diagnose and treat.

OP
L

Lovi83749

May 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Lovebirds
Does the injury appear to be worsening? If so, a visit to avian vet may be needed to properly diagnose and treat.

It doesn't seem like the injury is worsening and I haven't noticed any fresh blood in the past day. Do you think it will heal without any treatment?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
If the injury continues to heal, all is likely well. Always a risk of infection so watch for swelling and/or discoloration. One of the best diagnostic tools is weighing your bird regularly as many illnesses cause loss of mass. Hard to observe with feathered creatures! A postage or cooking scale calibrated in grams is ideal to help monitor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts