My bird just fell into my red eared slider turtle's water

parrotkinkajou23

May 16, 2021
Parrots
Blue, blue quaker parrot
I don't know really what happened. I was in my room, and then suddenly my mom yelled," AH! The bird just fell into the turtle's water!"
It turns out that when my mom put him back in the cage, I don't think she closed the door properly. So my bird got the door open. So he was curious and fell into the turtle's bowl thingy.
I rushed out and brought him to the bathroom and immediately gave him a small shower. I made sure to get all of him wet.
Luckily my turtle's water isn't that deep. It's still dirty (ish) though.
What if my bird got some disease or something? What should I do?
Thanks in advance.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Clean the Turtle's water and bowl and schedule such cleaning regularly.

Yes, you Parrot was likely exposed to a cross-section of 'stuff' that was growing in that dirty bowl. You're washing your Parrot likely helped, but you should keep a close watch for the next ten days for any signs of illness.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Red eared sliders are notorious carries for Salmonella. You can get the water tested & the bird. A vet might prescribe antibiotics right away just incase. Not sure how long it would take to show up in a fecal with just being exposed. I’d probably at least call my vet to discuss what they think should be done.

OP
P

parrotkinkajou23

May 16, 2021
Parrots
Blue, blue quaker parrot
Thanks!
Right now my bird seems to be fine, he is eating and acting normal
We need to bring my bird to his annual check up and stuff anyway, maybe the vet can check too

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I can’t even say how many times this has happened to me! I would recommend a lid for the tank in the future, even a DIY one is good if you’re using a stock tank. The other advice is good too! I know this if off topic, but plz dont keep your turtle in a bowl. Turtles need 10 gallons for every inch of top shell (aka carapace)! Red Eared Sliders are the most commonly neglected reptile, plz care for yours correctly!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts