My bird keeps trying to mate with me

Ava.rg

Jun 27, 2020
California
Parrots
Pineapple Greencheek Conure: Hilo (hee-loh) 8 weeks :)
It started with him regurgitating which I successfully got him to stop doing. But now he always tries to rub up on me. :( At least I know he’s a boy. He’s been doing this for a while now.I can always tell when he’s about to cause he starts to really annoyingly nibble on my fingers. He also gets much angrier more easily now. He’s about 6 months. I thought I had longer of him being a sweet baby. When he does this I move him away or get up but that doesn’t stop him. He’s very umm... persistent. Is there anything else I can really do? Whenever he’s out that is all he wants to do. He’s obsessed with my hands. I only pet his head and neck and tell people to not pet his back and he doesn’t have any nesting material. Plz help!!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Also no dark hidey holes or huts, no soft warm mushy foods. I use a 12 hr sleep cycle, some folks recommend copying the local day /night cycle. My amazon gets bitey and rude during mating season, I just learn to spot the body language.

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
Can I ask what his daily diet is?

Also agree with above ^ no dark spaces, no warm mushy foods, no shredding material in and out of the cage. Absolute darkness for 10-12 hours, never cover the cage to "make him quiet down".

OP
Ava.rg

Ava.rg

Jun 27, 2020
California
Parrots
Pineapple Greencheek Conure: Hilo (hee-loh) 8 weeks :)
He eats zupreem pellets and veggies and greens every other day. He also eats millet and apples as treats. He doesn’t have any huts or hidey holes in his cage and usually he is out of the cage. Also I go to bed and cover his cage around 8:30 pm every night and he wakes me up at 8:00 am and I get ready for school. (I only cover his cage at night and uncover it when we wake up)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is puberty, and should calm down in a morh or two. Then in breeding season might pick back up.
Read up on target training as something fun and distracting, increase foraging, exercise, and easy to destroy stuff, like yucca chips, burd bagels, shredders. Bored burds turn more to hormonal stuff

Most Reactions

Latest posts