my bird wont eat his formula? please help

birdherd

Apr 22, 2018
so i just got a pinapple greencheek conure yesterday at a bird expo and hes 2 and a half months old but hasnt been weaned yet. the lady told me he eats formula once a day and showed me how to do it. i tried doing it two times today but he would not open his beak to take in the formula i dont know what to do. when the lady did it it seemed so easy he willingly opened his beak. hes old enough to start eating adult food so im trying to transition him but he still needs to eat formula until hes completely transitioned to eating adult food. help me please

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
My suggestion is an infra red digital thermometer. My macaws temp is 106F when I mixed the formula then drew up in a large syringe. I noticed 108 was too hot 104 was too cold. Now I have no idea of what your birds temp is. Also drawing up the slurry can overly cool the formula down.

In my opinion ... matching the formula temp to the birds temp is similar to what happens in nature when a parent regurgitates to its child. Hope that helps!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
In the future please reconsider buying an unweaned baby parrot. It will save you much heartbreak.

eagle18

Banned
Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Missouri
Parrots
I have one Umbrella, a Bare Eye, and two budgies.
Take him back to his original owner and have her show you again, she could also spot what you are doing wrong.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
My suggestion is an infra red digital thermometer. My macaws temp is 106F when I mixed the formula then drew up in a large syringe. I noticed 108 was too hot 104 was too cold. Now I have no idea of what your birds temp is. Also drawing up the slurry can overly cool the formula down.

In my opinion ... matching the formula temp to the birds temp is similar to what happens in nature when a parent regurgitates to its child. Hope that helps!

Your problem is probably temperature.

Please read the following post and follow the temperature guidelines listed.

Silver Sage.. just adding to you and I's response with this detailed excerpt from that link. TODAYS DIGITAL THERMOMETER THAT CASTS A LITTLE RED DOT ONTO WHAT YOU WANT TO READ THE TEMP OF, COSTS ABOUT $30. THAT WAS A FEW YEARS AGO..

1) TEMPERATURE IS EVERYTHING! Temperature is the most important part of raising a healthy baby parrot; the temperature of the formula and the temperature of the living environment.

-Formula MUST be between 104 degrees Fahrenheit (40 degrees Celsius) and 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43.3 degrees Celsius). Any cooler and not only will your baby likely reject the formula, but his body will be unable to digest it properly leading to malnutrition. In some cases the food, not being digested, can even begin to spoil inside the body and from there you quickly see a spiral into bacterial infections that can kill within a few hours of the first symptoms. If the formula is too hot you risk internal burns.

Last edited:

Most Reactions