My bird's moult hasn't finished even after 2 months.

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
So, It's been about 2 months since I first got Kingsley. My pineapple green cheek conure. I got him on August 24th, 2022. When I got him he already had pin feathers sprouting from his head. And his wings were clipped before he was in the pet shop. Which is why I was excited that he was already moulting so his flight feathers would come in fast so he would be able to fly around sooner rather then later. I was told that he was about 8 months when i got him and it's been 2 months since then. So he'd be 10 months old by now.

I've done a lot of research online and it says that the moult should only last for about 1-2 months? There are still a lot of pin feathers on the top of his head and there's no sign of his new feathers coming in on his wings.

I would like to ask that bird owners that are more experienced then me comment on this thread and shed some light on this endeavor.

Thanks,
-Kingsley's Caretaker

Last edited:

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
my gcc just finished his molt maybe last week (still has some big pins but for the most part isnt hedgehoggy anymore) and it started in july šŸ˜­ i believe the first molt lasts the longest

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Kingsley(Pineapple Green Cheeked Conure), Ricky Roo(Red Crowned Kakariki), Oscar (Yellow & Green budgie -PASSED OCT2023), Vincent (White and blue Budgie)
my gcc just finished his molt maybe last week (still has some big pins but for the most part isnt hedgehoggy anymore) and it started in july šŸ˜­ i believe the first molt lasts the longest
Thank you this helps a lot! I was worried something might be wrong which is why I came on here.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Birds will replace the small contour feathers all year long, not just during a molt. Itā€™s the feathers involved in flight that are replaced at a scheduled time.

So you will see little pins all year, maybe more during the molt. This is totally normal.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Birds will replace the small contour feathers all year long, not just during a molt. Itā€™s the feathers involved in flight that are replaced at a scheduled time.

So you will see little pins all year, maybe more during the molt. This is totally normal.
Oh, okay. I do see a LOT of pin feathers on his head. Definately more than 10 on his head. I used to see some on his belly but I dont see them much anymore. Could this be because he's not actually molting or is he actually molting?

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
If he is dropping wing and tail feathers then it's a molt. If just body feathers are dropping then it's not a molt

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Kirby was with us for two years before he molted his clipped wing feathers - and then he did them all at once! We are in the PNW in the US and I swear he molted from January to May. I have so many of his feathers in little vases around the house.

Waiting for our second amazon to do a similar big molt; she isnā€™t clipped but she has chewing and damage. Kirby looks so GOOD now with his new feathers and I canā€™t wait to see that for Sammy.

Sometimes they take a while. If nothing else is abnormal Iā€™d say itā€™s just a really long jolt! Try to help them be comfy and work those pin feathers if they canā€™t reach them themselves.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Oh, I see. Kingsley has dropped 2 wing feathers so far just not his flight feathers. Not entirely sure if they fell out because he fell on them wrong or because of the moult.

I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

It seems that from the information and time tables some of you have given me that a birds first moult is able to last about 4 months? I guess that helps a lot and eases some of my worries for Kingsley's health. Thanks a lot.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
My ringneck was plucked naked when he molted last summer - ALL his feathers came in at once poor guy and it took almost 3 months for them all to break through skin and pins - and then his tail and wing feathers kept growing for another couple months!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
it can take awhile. You will see dropped large feathers, often the new one is already half way in when you find a dropped primary or tail. They spread those out do as nit to loose flight.

Afree head feathers seem to get replaced a lot year round.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Hey you guys, it's been 5 months since I adopted kingsley and unfortunately he still does not have is flight feathers in yet. :C I have already started some hop training though and he loves doing that. So hopefully that will prepare him for when his flights do come in :D

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Id feed a little boiled egg like a spoonful 3x a week. Because I think Xtra protein needed for molts. And Bet this spring will finally be flight feathers!!! Any time now!
Time for a picture too!

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Id feed a little boiled egg like a spoonful 3x a week. Because I think Xtra protein needed for molts. And Bet this spring will finally be flight feathers!!! Any time now!
Time for a picture too!
Is there any other way for the extra protien other than eggs? According to the bird only vet I know eggs aren't actually good for birds. And I agree that eggs might actually not be good for our feathered friends.

So do you know of any other way?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Iā€™ve had Ona home for six months and her flight feathers still arenā€™t all the way in. Sheā€™s grown a couple of primaries out but has lost or broken most of them with rough landings and just being hard on her feathers. She now has one big flight feather only on one side and a bunch of smaller ones still growing. It does seem to take forever.

OP
KingaRoo

KingaRoo

Aug 27, 2022
Oregon
Parrots
Iā€™ve had Ona home for six months and her flight feathers still arenā€™t all the way in. Sheā€™s grown a couple of primaries out but has lost or broken most of them with rough landings and just being hard on her feathers. She now has one big flight feather only on one side and a bunch of smaller ones still growing. It does seem to take forever.
Yeah it seems to take forever when all you really want for your feathered friend is for them to be able to do what years of evolution has given them the ability to do. I'm just so exited to teach him how to fly and all of the things he should have been able to do right from the start.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Is there any other way for the extra protien other than eggs? According to the bird only vet I know eggs aren't actually good for birds. And I agree that eggs might actually not be good for our feathered friends.

So do you know of any other way?
I stand by a small amount of egg as an excellent source of animal protein and some vitamins. I give about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon 3 times a week. My parrots also are flighted and active . With fresh veggies being half their daily diet.

Most of our parrots species would be getting some animal proteins in their diets from insects, grubs, little vertebrates, and even carion. But it's not safe to use commercial or self caught bugs, meal worms ect ..they can have pathogen bacteria and parasites. Data on that is out there for searching

You can offer a little boiled chicken, some people offer a little cooked fish.

In this link you can see a discussion. With a person and them reporting a vet thinking link to plaque build up. The thoughtful reply, reply about not established science studies and links. But definitely established link with lack of exercise . Then I will link the pro egg

Pro egg

Most Reactions