My cockatiel is bobbing her head, stumbling, and looking around lost

Bobjones1127

Mar 5, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiel
I have a female cockatiel and a male cockatiel. The female is around 11 years old and I have had her for 10. She has been on an only seed diet since we've gotten her. Yesterday I took her on my finger and she stranded looking around randomly with a blank expression. The best was I can describe it is that it looked as if she was drunk. I am really scared because now she is just sitting on the perch with her head tucked backwards in her feathers and she keeps sleeping. I don't know if it helps but she also has a problem where her beak grows and you have to cut it every month or 2 months. Please help! I don't know what to do. Also I really want to take her to a vet but I don't have anywhere near the means to do so. I feel trapped and not able to do anything.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome to the forums; I'm glad you're with us. We understand how worrying these situations can be.

It's hard to say what could have happened, but for now if you're not able to take her to a vet, keeping her warm and safe is always okay to do. If it's cold where you are, you can add a little heat - you could make a hot water bottle from Ziploc bags and put it just outside her cage where she's resting, to warm the air a bit.

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
Is there a pet shop nearby that can assist you with the beak growth? Do you have a scale where you can monitor the weight. Cockatiels are usually weighed in grams. The average weight is about 90 - 100 grams. I had some in the past that were heavier, and some that wouldn't get over 85 grams.

How often do you clean the cage? Should be done daily. Food cups/dishes should be cleaned daily too. I also have a couple sets of food cups that are stainless steel. I usually will run a set in the dishwasher each week to sterilize them and always keep an extra set on hand in case Tango poops in his food or water.

If you cockatiel is showing signs of lethargy, try some Pedialyte or Gatorade (clear) added to the water. It will help boost electrolytes. You don't need to add much to the water. By no means am I vet, but it sounds as though she could be coming down with some kind of infection. Just keep monitoring her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have a female cockatiel and a male cockatiel. The female is around 11 years old and I have had her for 10. She has been on an only seed diet since we've gotten her. Yesterday I took her on my finger and she stranded looking around randomly with a blank expression. The best was I can describe it is that it looked as if she was drunk. I am really scared because now she is just sitting on the perch with her head tucked backwards in her feathers and she keeps sleeping. I don't know if it helps but she also has a problem where her beak grows and you have to cut it every month or 2 months. Please help! I don't know what to do. Also I really want to take her to a vet but I don't have anywhere near the means to do so. I feel trapped and not able to do anything.
My avian vet told me that when a bird's beak frequently overgrows like that its a sign of liver disease.

Most Reactions

Latest posts