My conure fully spreads his wings before he poops?

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
Is this normal? I googled it out of curiosity because Jello (my GCC) has been doing this the entire time I've got him and I'm pretty sure his whole life because I got him from the pet store I work at. I'll explain how he does it: Right before he's about to poop, or while he's pooping, he fully spreads his wings up high 'proud bird' style. I've never had a conure before Jello and my last parrot (an amazon) never did this/did really anything before she pooped. I feel like I might be overly observant.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You might be overly observant, but that is kind of strange.

Maybe he’s really proud of them?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd does raise his wings but not right up. I'm always grateful because it gives me time to make sure he does it somewhere easy. He has designated areas which he knows but like all toddlers he get engrossed and forgets often.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Have you never felt like celebrating a good BM?:LOL:

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My Blue Crown Tootsie used to do this. Though hers was an after poop "celebration". I had not realized until I saw this post that I haven't noticed her doing it for some time. It might be something that has faded into the background for me in 25+ years with her around or maybe a change because of age. She is approximately 35 now and has gotten old as dirt. She is a bit arthritic now (but still active and flying) so maybe she does not want to stretch her achy wings when she doesn't have to. I'll have to watch her to confirm if she still does or not.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
My current sun conure sometimes does this before he poops. My previous sun conure never does it. So it depends.

Most Reactions

Latest posts