My conure isnt sleeping since I took his nest away.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
My GCC Jello has been sleeping very little ever since I removed his happy hut from his cage. I read the risks of them and decided it wasn't worth it, as he slept in it every night. Now Im noticing he really isnt sleeping much. He used to not be the biggest nap-taker but now he snuggles up in my blankets whenever he can during the day to sleep. He only likes to sleep cuddled up in something laying on his stomach. Sometimes he'll even fall asleep in my hands. I feel awful for him because I know he loves his hut- i ended up giving it to my soc finches (theyre in another room) and whenever he sees it he tries to curl up and sleep in my hands/blankets/ wherever he is. Any suggestions? Should I give it back? Are there any safe sleep sacks or anything soft I can give him to sleep in? Before I took it away he would put himself to bed at 9am and rise around 7am when id wake him up- now I'll be leaving for work at 5am and he's wide awake.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I was using a little hut made of seagrass just like this one for my Lilly the lorikeet with GREAT success!

seagrasshut.jpg

My Lilly was THE most notorious chronic egg layer in the history of the world, but because of the more open weave design of this type of hut it triggered absolutely zero hormonal response in her, though I had to remain on watch for that in case anything changed there. Not being made of nasty synthetic fibres is an obvious advantage too. Individual results may vary, but I do think a lot of smaller birds do appreciate having something like this at night, and for little naps during the day too. Sometimes hormonal aggression can be triggered by these types of huts too, in both males and females, but I do think the open-ended design of these does tend to minimise that.

Hope you can find something that works for your Jello, my Lilly certainly did enjoy popping herself into bed at night in hers đź’–

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
That seagrass hammock thing is so cool and clever! I’d definitely want to discourage your conure from trying to sleep in your bedding; that sounds like a tragic accident waiting to happen. It stinks when we have to take away something they really like, and can’t explain to them why. :(

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
That seagrass hammock thing is so cool and clever! I’d definitely want to discourage your conure from trying to sleep in your bedding; that sounds like a tragic accident waiting to happen. It stinks when we have to take away something they really like, and can’t explain to them why. :(
The bedding thing is more like- under the edge of the blanket with direct supervision the whole time & his face is always out. but usually he just likes to snuggle against it

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Your bird needs to sleep. Did you take away the hut because of some behavioral problem? If not, maybe you should give it back or replace with the less stimulating open seagrass hut.

OP
bonitabird59

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
i took it away bc 1.) its dangerous 2.) i didnt want him to become horomonal/have behavioral issues. i replaced it w a seagrass kinda mat thing that he rly loves and he has been sleeping with his toes in the air since!
Your bird needs to sleep. Did you take away the hut because of some behavioral problem? If not, maybe you should give it back or replace with the less stimulating open seagrass hut.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s great! I’m glad the seagrass hut works.
I didn’t know his original hut was becoming a hazard to him. My Quaker used hers for years with no problem. That’s why I asked for more info. Otherwise it seemed you’d traded a possible eventual problem for a current big problem of a bird not sleeping.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
i took it away bc 1.) its dangerous 2.) i didnt want him to become horomonal/have behavioral issues. i replaced it w a seagrass kinda mat thing that he rly loves and he has been sleeping with his toes in the air since!
Oh that's just so great, and extremely cute, I'm so glad it's working so well for Jello! It was always SO cute when my Lilly would pop herself into her hut at bedtime, just like clockwork at sunset every day. She LOVED it and never had any hormonal issues with it at all :) My new lorikeet, Lovejoy, a rooster, likes his during the day for short naps or for playing in, and he has several of the "flying trapeze" style that he plays with too - I think they're awesome!

Most Reactions