my conure laid an egg and I dont know what to do

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, I have two conures. I don't have the genders confirmed but always assumed when was male and one was female (due to the people we got them from saying 'highly likely'). Their now bonded and i noticed they started going under the sofa a lot and even mating. they are about two years old now. when i found out what and why they were doing it, I tried discouraging it by not allowing them to go under the sofa and not allowing them to mate (this one is hard because they share a cage).

However two days ago i noticed an egg at the bottom of the cage the olive laid. It's been two days since and I am pretty sure she still has one more bc she is heavier then usual and has a small bulge. Im so scared that there might be egg binding involved but she isnt displaying any symptoms other then the bulge. i dont know what to do and i dont want to wait to long in case something is wrong.

They also keep mating even though i give them 12 hours of night time, complete silence. If anyone has any advice please help out.

(I would like to take her to the vet but money is very tight right now due to the pandemic)

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Leave the egg until all interest is lost, or by a dummy-egg that is convincing and swap when neither are looking.

Make sure that they have no access to shadowy spaces like boxes or huts. Never ever allow under furniture or in anything with a solid roof or tall solid sides-- even a bird in an open box is going to get nesty..Let alone a sideways one in which they have most of the "roof" and sides covered. Your sofa was the trigger, coupled with them being together etc.

Try making food harder to get by getting them busy with foraging etc.

Keep 10-12 hours of sleep.

In terms of egg-binding: Is she straining to poop or eating any less. If she is heavier, she probably does have another in there-- esp since they lay in clutches usually. As long as you have a male and a female together, this is the risk and that is why I am not a fan of it in most scenarios. There is no way to totally prevent it, but you can reduce it someone. Just keep in mind that it poses a risk to the female.

It can take up to 48 hours for a new egg to form, so when was the last laid?

Last edited:
OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, Thank you, I know now not to let them in any dark spaces. Do you think separating them would be a good idea?

She isnt straining or pooping less but definitely seems heavier.
The first egg was laid Monday morning or sunday night.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If she stays heavier and you feel a bulge , she may need assistance laying (either prostiglandin or another hormone...maybe physical extraction).

GENERALLY a bird who is egg-bond will act slightly off. I don't know how close you two are, but the changes can be subtle... Mine was heavier when I took her in for what I was sure was an egg. The first time, she needed medical assistance (a series of hormone shots and lots of stress from me)

Recently, it happened again-- vet did an x-ray and saw nothing (despite the fact that her weight was up 2oz, which is a lot for a bird her size)...5-6 days later, she DID lay an egg. The first time she was egg-bound, I saw a very hormonal bird with behavior slightly more frantic or anxious than normal. She started pooping a bit less and was pickier with food. Her poop became a huge trigger as it came closer to intervention, as the droppings were smaller. There was also a weird increase in appetite right before she started eating less. the same thing happened the second time, only she was able to lay the egg on her own that time.

In both instances, to the average person, she would have seemed normal, but I watch her like a hawk and knew something was wrong..You are right to wonder about a second egg.

How long have you been able to feel the bulge?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello rioandolive, welcome to the Forums!

Superb advice given above by noodles already! Definitely leave the egg with your hen, as removing them means she may lay more and more to replace those taken away. The other question here is: what are your intentions now that the egg is laid? Having babies hatch will present a whole slew of complications in and of itself but there are ways to prevent it happening. Do keep a very close eye on your hen for any sign of straining, laboured breathing or anything else untoward as egg-binding is a very dangerous situation indeed.

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
Yes, she is a very thin bird otherwise but today she jumped on me and I definitely noticed the difference in size, she is heavier. She also isn't flying as well as she can (she's a very good flier).

She isn't displaying any outright symptoms of egg binding but she's acting pretty off, kinda more docile and tired, and her beak sometimes is a little open?

I noticed the bulge the day after she layed and its seems to get a bit bigger.

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021

Superb advice given above by noodles already! Definitely leave the egg with your hen, as removing them means she may lay more and more to replace those taken away. The other question here is: what are your intentions now that the egg is laid? Having babies hatch will present a whole slew of complications in and of itself but there are ways to prevent it happening. Do keep a very close eye on your hen for any sign of straining, laboured breathing or anything else untoward as egg-binding is a very dangerous situation indeed.

Hi, thankyou.
Yes, I have left the egg in the cage but neither parrot seems to have any interest in it. They don't seem to acknowledge it at all but I have still just left it at the bottom of the cage.

I'm not interested in the hatching the egg at all but i dont think it will be, since it has not been looked after at all.

Thnakyou, I think i will give it one more day and if nothing is better then I will take her to the vet.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

Hi, thankyou.
Yes, I have left the egg in the cage but neither parrot seems to have any interest in it. They don't seem to acknowledge it at all but I have still just left it at the bottom of the cage.

I'm not interested in the hatching the egg at all but i dont think it will be, since it has not been looked after at all.

Thnakyou, I think i will give it one more day and if nothing is better then I will take her to the vet.

Well that's encouraging! Some captive birds just don't recognise eggs for what they are because they don't have the sort of exposure to them that they would get in the wild. It might be an idea though for you to boil the egg in the meantime, for several reasons. It will ensure the egg does not hatch, for one thing. It also means that, particularly if your hen goes and lays another egg and starts to get a little more interested in them, she can sit on her egg/s and work off those maternal instincts until such times as she loses interest in them of her own accord. I have to do this if/when my mad egg laying little lorikeet goes and lays another clutch. Boiling the egg also means that if your hen does manage to break the shell after a period of determined sitting, you don't have a nasty smelly mess to have to clean up. If you boil the first egg, just make a small mark on it with a pencil or pen so you know which one is which if she does lay another. The average conure may lay 4 eggs or more in a clutch so the likelihood of another one being on the way is fairly high.

Keep us updated on how you're all doing won't you?!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Do not seperate right now as that is too much stress.
I font like open beak breathing.. usually 48 hours is enough to lay the second egg.
Keep things calm. If egg isn't laid by tonight I'd be st the vet in the morning.
A stuck egg is an emergency , a life and death emergency. The safest thing is to see the vet and they may give a shot to help her pass it.

I had a GCC lay 4 eggs one a day for 4 days with no problem. Im not sure the safe expecting time between eggs. But she never open mouth breathed, not once during this. Nor did she ever act weak or off..
So I'm worried for your burd.

Ok I re read this. I think your bird is in trouble. Needs to see the avain vet now.
Mine dud nit have trouble flying or open beak breathing, these are signs she is weak and getting in trouble.
You want the car warm before you take her, id heat towels up to cover the travel cage on the way to the vet. And wrap a hit water bottle in a towel to travel with. Maybe bring the other burd to help her keep calm if yiu think will help. Extracwarmth helps burds so much.

Good luck keep us posted.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Do not seperate right now as that is too much stress.
I font like open beak breathing.. usually 48 hours is enough to lay the second egg.
Keep things calm. If egg isn't laid by tonight I'd be st the vet in the morning.
A stuck egg is an emergency , a life and death emergency. The safest thing is to see the vet and they may give a shot to help her pass it.

I had a GCC lay 4 eggs one a day for 4 days with no problem. Im not sure the safe expecting time between eggs. But she never open mouth breathed, not once during this. Nor did she ever act weak or off..
So I'm worried for your burd.

Ok I re read this. I think your bird is in trouble. Needs to see the avain vet now.
Mine dud nit have trouble flying or open beak breathing, these are signs she is weak and getting in trouble.
You want the car warm before you take her, id heat towels up to cover the travel cage on the way to the vet. And wrap a hit water bottle in a towel to travel with. Maybe bring the other burd to help her keep calm if yiu think will help. Extracwarmth helps burds so much.

Good luck keep us posted.

Agreed that open beak breathing and lethargy are warning signs.

I second a vet consult ASAP-- many offer payment plans.

I forgot to mention this, but in the future, if this happens and the egg is fertile, swap it out OR boil it like you would an egg and put a small dot on it w/a marker so that you know which one has been boiled, should more appear. This prevents the egg from hatching and stops development in the very early stages. I know it sounds awful, but if you have chicks it gets complicated (parents don't do the work the way they are supposed to 1/2 the time and that is rough)They (the siblings) will also mate if you leave them together at sexual maturity (even though related) and that leads to a host of new problems.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
One of my Goffins dropped her first egg after 25 years and shocked us half to death! Dark eyes typically identify a cockatoo as male, but....

She showed absolutely no interest as I removed it and saved for posterity. You'll have to keenly watch for future actions, particularly since they are living together.

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, I have two conures. I don't have the genders confirmed but always assumed when was male and one was female (due to the people we got them from saying 'highly likely'). Their now bonded and i noticed they started going under the sofa a lot and even mating. they are about two years old now. when i found out what and why they were doing it, I tried discouraging it by not allowing them to go under the sofa and not allowing them to mate (this one is hard because they share a cage).

However two days ago i noticed an egg at the bottom of the cage the olive laid. It's been two days since and I am pretty sure she still has one more bc she is heavier then usual and has a small bulge. Im so scared that there might be egg binding involved but she isnt displaying any symptoms other then the bulge. i dont know what to do and i dont want to wait to long in case something is wrong.

They also keep mating even though i give them 12 hours of night time, complete silence. If anyone has any advice please help out.

(I would like to take her to the vet but money is very tight right now due to the pandemic)

Hi everyone, thank you so much for commenting helpful information. Luckily olive laid an egg this morning! I monitored her behaviour and she was much better today and the large bulge is again. However i noticed there is still a small bulge, and since she's only laid two eggs i figured she may lay 1-2 more in 48-hr intervals. Im going to be watching her closely and of she displays any symptoms of egg binding I'll be taking her to the vet.

I've heard calcium is really good esp since laying eggs takes such a strain on her body. Both of them have a very varied and healthy diet but i wanted to add extra calcium and saw grinding egg shells seemed to be a popular one but saw some bad reviews. Does anyone have any recommendations for high calcium food?

Thank you again!

OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021
One of my Goffins dropped her first egg after 25 years and shocked us half to death! Dark eyes typically identify a cockatoo as male, but....

She showed absolutely no interest as I removed it and saved for posterity. You'll have to keenly watch for future actions, particularly since they are living together.

ah im actually thinking of maybe separating them (after she lays all the eggs and loses full interest in them, so after around 1-2 months), just when they start mating bc they mate a lot, as a precaution. I really don't want this happening again.

Last edited:
OP
R

rioandolive

Feb 3, 2021

Hi, thankyou.

Well that's encouraging! Some captive birds just don't recognise eggs for what they are because they don't have the sort of exposure to them that they would get in the wild. It might be an idea though for you to boil the egg in the meantime, for several reasons. It will ensure the egg does not hatch, for one thing. It also means that, particularly if your hen goes and lays another egg and starts to get a little more interested in them, she can sit on her egg/s and work off those maternal instincts until such times as she loses interest in them of her own accord. I have to do this if/when my mad egg laying little lorikeet goes and lays another clutch. Boiling the egg also means that if your hen does manage to break the shell after a period of determined sitting, you don't have a nasty smelly mess to have to clean up. If you boil the first egg, just make a small mark on it with a pencil or pen so you know which one is which if she does lay another. The average conure may lay 4 eggs or more in a clutch so the likelihood of another one being on the way is fairly high.

Keep us updated on how you're all doing won't you?!

Ah thankyou!! I will be boiling the eggs to make sure they don't hatch before returning them to the cage. They seem minimally interested after the second egg but I will be just leaving the eggs in the cage.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Oh thank goodness that second egg has passed :) That is excellent news.

If Olive does start to take an interest and sit on those eggs, you can expect her to remain thus occupied for quite some weeks. Conure eggs on average can take around 24-27 days to hatch if they're going to, and Olive will probably want to continue to sit for a good week or so after that until she begins to realise they are not going to hatch. Having said that though, my Lilly is one very determined little sitter. She laid her last clutch in December of 2019 and I swear she would still be sitting on them to this day if I hadn't taken matters into my own hands. Ok, that may be a bit of an exaggeration but Lilly is very dedicated to her eggs if/when she gets the chance! I removed her eggs and rearranged the nesting spot about 10 days or so after her eggs' regular incubation time, and it took her a sum total of only about half a day to get used to the idea that they were gone and get back to some semblance of normality. Olive may differ to those timelines, but once she has finished sitting on those eggs you will need to remove and restrict access to *anything* that might even resemble a nesting site. I even have to strip the cushions off my couch to stop Lilly from burrowing between them and getting herself all broody so you may very well have to take similar measures and more since you have a bonded pair. For calcium, probably the easiest thing to do is to provide a cuttlebone for them to chew on if they don't already have one - even if Olive doesn't chew it herself you can scrape some of it over their food so she ingests it that way.

I hope any remaining eggs pass freely and without incident :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts