my conure Will. Not. Stop. Humping. what do I do??

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
I've posted about it before but it has gotten monumentally worse. I've tried to remove any items she might be attracted to. I've made sure were not petting her inappropriately (we can't even get near her anymore). but she continues to hump everything in sight. her food bowl, her cage door, her perches. it is all day every day, and I'm out of solutions.... I try to distract her but as soon as she loses interest shoes right back to it. I can't even get near her cage without her trying to regurgitate. I have no idea what to do next.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What you describe sounds far beyond 'typical' hormonal behavior and IMO, it's time to involve your avian vet. An AV can determine if her hormones are balanced and make specific suggestions regarding your bird. There may also be medications and/or spaying available as a last resort if the vet determines it to be necessary.

BTW- Are you certain your bird is a girl? Typically humping is a male behavior and many females who are experiencing extreme hormonal behaviors start laying (infertile) eggs along with displaying sexual behaviors.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
so far 24 views and no responses....I don't think this is common, at least in the frequency you seem to be implying ... You do mean everytime you even get him out he's humpty dancing you.......I'm just going to throw this out there so others chime in their two cents....if anything to tell me I'm wrong and maybe, help you out.

1) get her a stud

2) all the bird books will say ignore it and dissuade it but it seems that isn't working. So , let her finish and go off to lay an egg?

3) Take her to the valley in LA California....

I really don't know, the closest thing I came to this was my first cockatiel was female and would rub against my dad before she laid her first and only egg.

But someone might tell you one or all of these ideas is wrong/bad/stupid and at least get the conversation started. And get you some good advice.

OP
P

pixelandmort

Nov 16, 2015
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Nanday Conure
yes, she's laid eggs a few times before.
What you describe sounds far beyond 'typical' hormonal behavior and IMO, it's time to involve your avian vet. An AV can determine if her hormones are balanced and make specific suggestions regarding your bird. There may also be medications and/or spaying available as a last resort if the vet determines it to be necessary.

BTW- Are you certain your bird is a girl? Typically humping is a male behavior and many females who are experiencing extreme hormonal behaviors start laying (infertile) eggs along with displaying sexual behaviors.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Ever since the Rickeybird hit sexual maturity at about 3-4 years of age, I've had to manage his hormones! If kept on too steady a long day, and too much light, he stayed "in the mood" (aggressive, even louder than usual, pleasuring himself on my neck ) year round. If I keep him on a natural light schedule... up with dawn, down with dusk, year around... THEN he's only a little monster rooster from July to September). He has his own room, so I can do that easily.

FlockFive

Jul 17, 2017
Parrots
Happy the green cheek, yellow sided conure. Bella the african grey congo. Lemon the meyers parrot.
She might be what some vets would call a "chronic egg layer". With consultation of an avian vet of course, you might find it helpful to set up a nesting area for her and put some fake eggs in there. DO NOT do this without consulting your avian vet! Crossing my fingers for you :)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
interesting idea flockfive.

I must ask as it seems their hormones are going wild but do you ensure your conure gets 12 - 14 hours of dark quiet sleeping time every night? Also remove warm soft foods from their diet and make sure that there isn't an "abundance" of food. Enough to keep them happy and healthy but a large amount of easy to get food tells them it's good for young. Try making little foraging activities for their food, start simple then get harder as they figure it out. Try and re-arrange the cage as well, the change can throw them off and they become less inclined to have young

Most Reactions