My crazy little mystery bird!!!

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
1 baby peach front conure, named Jackie.
OK....don't know if this is the right forum or not, but maybe you guys can help me!!!! I am on the Parrotlet forum, on this site, but I think I am on the wrong forum!!!! I was told, (when she had no feathers) that it was a Mexican parrotlet...she was rescued from an iguana in the nest, in our tiny little village(in Mexico) ...well, she now has some feathers, and is so much larger then a parrotlet, but WHAT is she???? (besides sweet as can be!!!) I have had her 2 weeks now, and these pictures were taken today....she is approximately 5 weeks old, give or take. I really need to find out what she is, so I will know just what to do for her...she eats great, very loving, and as funny as can be, entertaining wise...maybe someone that knows where different species of birds are, and come from, we are located in Copala, between Mazatlán and Durango, Sinaloa, MX, in the mountains...

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

Hard for me to personally tell from the photo, especially size, but it could either be a half moon conure or a cape parrot.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sure looks like a little half-moon conure - absolutely adorable!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I didn't think she looked like a parrotlet when you first introduced her. But she's so cute! Congratulations regardless.

OP
TokiesMom

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
thank you, we think so too, she has just blossomed in a week....my phone is sick and needs to go to a cell Dr. so I have to borrow my husbands cell or Ipad for pictures....but she is amazing, and now playing with toys and bottle caps....her personality is coming out...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
She appears to not have completed fledging ( growing her first set of feathers), so she is quite young and should really be on baby parrot formula, whichcan be had at a good pet shop. read the instructions for preparing it,and feed with a small spoon with the sides bent up to make a scoop, Read the link
"So you bought an unweaned baby" ( understanding that you didn;t buy this little one, but rescued her) which will give you many tips on sucessfully weaning her ontosolid healthy food.

Thanks for taking this little one in!

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
So cute! I also think it may be a Eupsittula conure. Half moon and peach fronted conures are very simillar but basing on your location others may be right - half moon conure

OP
TokiesMom

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
I got her the baby bird formula from Petco last Friday..she really doesn't like it, so I am mixing it 1/2 and 1/2 with the corm flour she was eating when I got her... to transition her to the formula...I have been using a 10 cc syringe to feed her, my question, since the instructions are in Spanish, I see nothing about temp...should it still be warm, when I feed her?? would it hurt to put a little baby food fruit in it too? How long should she be on the formula, before she can start eating some veggies and fruit??
She only want to take about 7 to 8 cc's now...with the formula added, she isn't keen on it. she is getting very active, playing with toys now, and becomes vocal when she fights with her toys...:gcc:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
You need a candy thermometer to make sure the temperature is 105F ( NOT C) while you feed her. Too hot it will burn her crop, too cold and it will not digest and cause a sour crop. She should take formula and be offered solid food, like mashed sweet potatoes (yams), let her decide when to take solids - thats natural weaning.

OP
TokiesMom

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
OK, I have some sweet potato's, I will bake one, and mash some for her...and see if she wants to pick on that....how about jar baby food??

Ernie142k7

May 16, 2020
Jalisco Mexico
Parrots
Half moon conure
That is a half moon conure or orange fronted conure (eupsitulla canicularis). I have a 6 week old myself and they look very much alike.

Attachments

• IMG-20200424-WA0026.jpg
    IMG-20200424-WA0026.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG-20200429-WA0037.jpg
    IMG-20200429-WA0037.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 92

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
OK, I have some sweet potato's, I will bake one, and mash some for her...and see if she wants to pick on that....how about jar baby food??

Baby food can be fine if it has no preservatives, salt or citric acid/lemon juice etc. In small doses, a little citric acid is fine, but too much citrus (or citric acid) can cause iron storage disease.
Certain baby foods DO contain salt etc.

Most Reactions