My dog attacked my parrot!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
My parrot is ok!
Here's the story.

Sitting on couch, all 3 Quaker with me, and my GCC. My little dog Pixie all of 6 pounds, asleep next to me. I got her at 6.5weeks and she has been around parrots all her life , she is almost 7 years old now.

The parrots all decide to fly back to their cage area. It wakes Pixie up and she leaps for Neptune. I manage to get a hand out s d shove her . So instead if chomping my parrot inhalf , she only grabs the tail feathers. She ripped out almost all of them! But thank goodness didn't get any flesh!!

Pixie hates Neptune as I've long known. Pixie knows she is my favorite dog, and she knows Neptune is my favorite Parrot ( I love them all like crazy, for they are each unique and special, JBH)

I'm always careful, because you never know when instinct can kick in. I think her being asleep and waking to parrots flying just over came her training.........

I share so we can all keep in mind you can't trust other pets around parrots you just can't.

She came very close to getting his body in her mouth, and she intended to kill, this was not play...

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oh laura, I’m sos sorry. That had to have been terrifying! Thank you for sharing this horrible reminder of why vigilance is so necessary at all times. You really never can trust even the best trained predators when prey species are around.

Big hugs to you and Neptune today!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank you very much CrisMD
My dog has been around parrots for seven years!
It shows this can happen at anytime.

Neptune's is pretty freaked

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very sorry to hear of this earth shacking event! Losings the vast amount of one's tail feathers had to hurt (assuming they had been pulled out).

The loss will effect flight and landing a bit.

Thanks for the reminder...

Huge, Warm Amazon Feather Hugs, Good Friend!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Your title SCARED the HELL OUT OF ME! sigh....

Thanks for clearing it up.

I'd say......nvm I'd just get in trouble but you can guess what I'd say.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Horrifying beyond belief, Laura. So glad Neptune escaped without serious injury.

Having lost a cockatoo to dog long ago, I simply cannot trust. :(

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I was afraid to open the thread - whew, I’m glad Neptune is okay! It is a great reminder for all of us with multiple species though.

My husband can’t understand why I am meticulous about the dogs and cat going outside or in their crates when it’s the birds’ time to be out. I am inflexible about the routine, and he thinks that I am a control freak. I’m okay with that, if it prevents an accident (my dogs are bigger and I’d never forgive myself if something happened).

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I usually make the dogs stay five feet away. But pixie was asleep when the birds chose to land on me..
I always take parrot safety serious. I have had mult dogs with parrots for almost 20 years.....it just goes to show you!
I and Neptune were so lucky!!!! It was nano seconds, I saw Pixie leep and I out my hand out, I was lucky to have blocked her!
I checked Neptune's, and then wetted him down to be absolutely sure no flesh wounds. Ten feathers pulled out tho!!! Neptune was quiet, completely unlike him. But us now back to rowdy noise making, and chewing up stuff. O have him caged for now, just to stressed to have them all out.
It was jealously on the part of Pixie. I have been under the weather, and haven't walked and played with them in a few days....
Anyway it's a good reminder that no matter how many years your dog has been with parrots, they are still predator and prey. Even my fluffy shih tzu, of six pounds.
Thanks guys for knowing how upsetting it is!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Crikey Laurasea you sure know how to scare the living crap outta me!! This was the first thing I read when I was still half asleep this morning but I sure woke up real quick! So glad Neptune is ok, although he will be a little bob-tailed birdie for a while :) I managed to pull Val’s whole tail out last year when I had to dose him up with Metacam twice a day and he wasn’t impressed but he did look kinda cute.

Sorry Pixie you are BANNED! ;)

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Geeezz Laura!! Poor Neptune! Excellent reminder on how even the friendliest predetor can act. Even with 16 year old Missy who has never been outside,knows nothing about birds..when Beebs is out sometimes he likes walking the floor back to his house in the living room David will yell out to me the cat is here too! Can't be trusted. Glad to hear Neppy is mostly ok..rudders will grow out again!

Jim

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh me to me to! It all happened so fast!!!!
I put my hand out without even thinking, that and the fact here was flying saved him....it was just to close a call.....

Vickivale7

Mar 9, 2019
Virginia
Parrots
Roxy - 12 1/2 year old Pacific Parrotlet
Nothing personal, but dogs and cats should never be allowed in the same room when birds are out. No matter how much we think we know our animals, things can change quickly and usually end up with the bird paying the price for a poor decision made by the owners.

Vickivale7

Mar 9, 2019
Virginia
Parrots
Roxy - 12 1/2 year old Pacific Parrotlet
Reread your post. You KNEW your dog had an issue with Neptune and STILL risked it? SMH. PLEASE learn from this and keep them separated from now on. Next time, you might not be so lucky and Neptune will pay the ultimate price

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
All shame açcepted
It was only a feeling, she seemed to glare at him. And a couple of times I took pictures, she'd be in the background looking peeved as a photo bomber

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Nothing personal, but dogs and cats should never be allowed in the same room when birds are out. No matter how much we think we know our animals, things can change quickly and usually end up with the bird paying the price for a poor decision made by the owners.

In fact I will go two steps ahead and say that Birds, especially human bonded parrots and predatory mammals ( Ferrets, Cats, Rats,and Dogs) in descending order of danger) should not be in the same household at all.
Again this is nothing personal. Parrots are too precious to be lost to the teeth and claws of these animals that are predators by instinct.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
A threat is never "real" until it is too real. Cost me Fatty Dingdong and Pistol to learn that lesson. I was out of the room for only a *moment* and Pistol landed on a pet rat cage. It was graphic. And Fatty was in what I thought was a cat proof cage while I was out of town, but Charliecat figured out the latch.

Even my old pup Seymour has eaten 3 of my mom's parakeets(probably). Birds were left unsupervised in an area the 3 dogs had run of. The first time it happened they knocked over the cage, which smashed, and they ate the bird inside. I warned my mom to move her birds, and I moved mine. She thought her 2 remaining parakeets were in a "dog proof cage".... you know how this story ends. The dogs only managed to get open a feed cup door, but both birds were nothing but feathers by the time anyone knew anything had happened. Now that she has 2 parakeets again, they live in her bedroom on the 2nd floor and her dogs are baby-gated on the first floor.

Really graphic, I will post the cleaned up version... her little dog is 4 pounds when wet. A year and a half older than our senior Seymour... when they got into the "dog proof cage" I found a pile of feathers in kitchen, a pile in living room, and small dog was being protective over a pile of feathers attached to other things. We don't know which of the 3 dogs who lived there at the time actually got the birds... if I had to bet tho, I would say Seymour. Not that any of them were actually not involved.

We don't trust ANY animals around the birds with only a very few exceptions. Alex likes baby animals, so when we had guinea pigs he was allowed to serenade the baby piggies under supervision, etc.

But no predator should ever be fully trusted with small animals. Our larger dogs we don't even trust around my mom's little dog when she visits. One of the big dogs actually did try to eat her last year. At the end of the day, they are predators and you really can't train out nature. For example: Seymour LOVES cats, LOVES THEM! But at night if we are on a walk and one of the outdoor kitties spooks and takes off, he will try to chase the cat. It is just instinct.

SO glad everything turned out ok for you and yours!

But then again this can happen with non predators too! One time I had Crayon(BFA, RIP) out and Alex out at the same time. For some reason he flew over, and I could just SEE on her face before he got close that he BETTER NOT get close. I dove and shoved my hand between the two RIGHT as she lunged.... she bit me, HARD. One of the very few times she bit me in the entire time I had her. That bite was intended for Alex and would have done a lot more damage to a little cockatiel than it did to my hand...

Hazards are EVERYWHERE!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
How is everyone doing today Laura? I hope both you and Neptune have recovered from the shock. Fang, Val, Lilly Pilly and I all send our love (hubby would too but he’s still asleep :) )

Most Reactions

Latest posts