My eclectus is on a pellet diet

Supaoskd

Mar 20, 2022
Parrots
Apollo, around 3 months old
Male Eclectus Parrot
Hello. New bird owner here. I brought Apollo home yesterday. Heā€™s around 3-4 months old, weā€™re not sure. His breeder only gave him pellets which is unhealthy for him but since heĀ“s such a sweetheart, I brought him home. I read a lot of care guides for Eclectus Parrots and Iā€™m planning to switch him to a veggies and fruits diet In the future. Iā€™m currently mxing small pieces of carrots into his Pellets.

As eclectus parrotsā€™ diet differs from other species, Iā€˜m not sure what to give him as treats. I heard dried fruits are a great option. We havenā€™t bonded with him yet and I couldnā€™t get him to step up which is alright, Iā€™m taking things slow to not give him addition stress. Iā€™m wondering if my method of introducing fruits and vegetables to him is good way and what treats would be tempting for him as he only eats Pellets rn.

Thanks!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hello. New bird owner here. I brought Apollo home yesterday. Heā€™s around 3-4 months old, weā€™re not sure. His breeder only gave him pellets which is unhealthy for him but since heĀ“s such a sweetheart, I brought him home. I read a lot of care guides for Eclectus Parrots and Iā€™m planning to switch him to a veggies and fruits diet In the future. Iā€™m currently mxing small pieces of carrots into his Pellets.

As eclectus parrotsā€™ diet differs from other species, Iā€˜m not sure what to give him as treats. I heard dried fruits are a great option. We havenā€™t bonded with him yet and I couldnā€™t get him to step up which is alright, Iā€™m taking things slow to not give him addition stress. Iā€™m wondering if my method of introducing fruits and vegetables to him is good way and what treats would be tempting for him as he only eats Pellets rn.

Thanks!
I think dried fruit and veg is a great way to get parrots to eat fresh foods :)
I'll link you a post on ekkie dietšŸ™‚

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I think dried fruit and veg is a great way to get parrots to eat fresh foods :)
I'll link you a post on ekkie dietšŸ™‚

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
congratulations on your new baby! Welcome to the forums!

We have several active ekkie owners here and they are sure to share their experiences and love if thus species.

I find offering veggies in very wide shallow dishes or on plates, or on bird skewers hanging at beak height work best. Often parrots will explore new foods better outside of the cage. I let them discover on their own. But I do hand stuff and est it in front of them.

Some to try are warm sweet potatoes, fresh peas or thawed frozen. Bell pepper seeds snd all, any color but mine seem to like Yellow best ( each parrot different )

Most Reactions