my Ekkies laid 3 eggs is that a good sign ?

Moetee

Aug 29, 2020
Hey guys if use seen my 1st post here on being a new owner to a breeding pair, within 2 weeks of my ekkys being in their new environment the hen has laid 3 eggs which I am extremely happy about. Today is the 28th day since I have noticed the 1st egg and than following 2 days later the 2nd and 3rd, does this mean a healthy sign ? I am putting heaps of food every single day with all frozen vegis boiled and than cooled, a bowl of sun flower seeds also a bowl of trill small parrot mix also i hand feed some fruits each day she tends to love blue berry's.. am I doing a good job ? They are a wild pair 6-7 years old. How can I really tell if the eggs are fertile the hen is OK with me placing a metal rod to have a peak on the eggs she does not get over defensive and it doesn't bother her. But when I do enter the cage she is so protective. Any special foods I should be giving them during this time ? ANY ADVICE is appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201006-000517_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-000517_Video Player.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot_20201006-000603_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-000603_Video Player.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot_20201006-000738_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-000738_Video Player.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20201006-000516_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201006-000516_Video Player.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 105

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi friend,

You likely were sold a pair that will not / hasn't ever had success breeding, and you may find it likely you won't find success either. Doesn't mean it will never happen but breeders don't usually get rid of pairs that can make chicks (more profit to keep them if they're good breeders) so it's likely you'll have little success with the pair. Just my 2 cents.

Ekkie eggs start hatching at 26 days, so at this point it's just beyond the normal hatching range and the eggs are likely NOT going to hatch. If you aren't aware of Eclectus incubation periods, you need to do much more research, it's incredibly novice to go into this entire thing without even knowing how many days you need to keep an eye out for with the chicks. Keep watch of the eggs for the next week, if they don't hatch, its' time to toss them in the garbage as they are not going to hatch past day 35! It doesn't happen and anyone who comes at me to say let them keep them 2 -3 more weeks please don't bother (chicks rarely hatch after this 26 -28 day mark period), so a few days extra is essential, but there's no need to keep the infertile eggs for weeks on end.

Infertile eggs happen for a lot of reasons, and the breeder likely saw this pair would not produce chicks to profit on what they were hoping was a good pairing. But as it turns out not all pairs are successful. But I wish you luck in successfully getting a fertile clutch.

After you toss the eggs, the pair will likely start trying to lay again. It's important that, whether or not the 2nd clutch is also infertile, you give this pair (both male and female) a REST and take that nestbox out for a couple months. A couple clutches a season is normal, but letting them breed year long can and will cause poor quality chicks as the hen never gets time to rest and replenish her own nutrients.

Why don't you get to know this pair, bond with them and learn about their behaviors/characteristics before letting them breed again?

Last edited:
OP
M

Moetee

Aug 29, 2020
Hi friend,

You likely were sold a pair that will not / hasn't ever had success breeding, and you may find it likely you won't find success either. Doesn't mean it will never happen but breeders don't usually get rid of pairs that can make chicks (more profit to keep them if they're good breeders) so it's likely you'll have little success with the pair. Just my 2 cents.

Ekkie eggs start hatching at 26 days, so at this point it's just beyond the normal hatching range and the eggs are likely NOT going to hatch. If you aren't aware of Eclectus incubation periods, you need to do much more research, it's incredibly novice to go into this entire thing without even knowing how many days you need to keep an eye out for with the chicks. Keep watch of the eggs for the next week, if they don't hatch, its' time to toss them in the garbage as they are not going to hatch past day 35! It doesn't happen and anyone who comes at me to say let them keep them 2 -3 more weeks please don't bother (chicks rarely hatch after this 26 -28 day mark period), so a few days extra is essential, but there's no need to keep the infertile eggs for weeks on end.

Infertile eggs happen for a lot of reasons, and the breeder likely saw this pair would not produce chicks to profit on what they were hoping was a good pairing. But as it turns out not all pairs are successful. But I wish you luck in successfully getting a fertile clutch.

After you toss the eggs, the pair will likely start trying to lay again. It's important that, whether or not the 2nd clutch is also infertile, you give this pair (both male and female) a REST and take that nestbox out for a couple months. A couple clutches a season is normal, but letting them breed year long can and will cause poor quality chicks as the hen never gets time to rest and replenish her own nutrients.

Why don't you get to know this pair, bond with them and learn about their behaviors/characteristics before letting them breed again?

Ohkay thanks for the help and understanding... i will keep monitoring the clutch but as a question if a pair lay a clutch isn't it usually they lay 1 or 2 eggs ? Does 3 eggs give a sign at all of comfortability? Also yes eithin these past 2 months my male has learned 2 words from me talking to me him during the day but also gets scared of me since their avairy birds:) also the hen feeds of my hand and she is quite relaxed when I'm around, could I get a chance where 1 egg could come out fertile ? Because each egg was laid about 1 to 2 days apart Lets pray ! Is there any detail way by looking at the eggs if their fertile?

Most Reactions