My experience with nesting birds

Aerski

Oct 24, 2018
Florida, Miami
Parrots
M2 - Crystal (RIP) GCC - Birbo
I was going to take a bath as normal, when I see something through the window, a black figure with little black figures moving around.. as dumb as I was, I open the window and was greeted by three small birds. They were already scared so I close the window and think. There was a nest there, full of what I thought was peeled bark and sticks. The parents were nowhere in sight, but i thought they were just getting food for the young ones? I didnā€™t know much about nesting birds, same as I do right now. Obviously I wasnā€™t going to disturb them if the nest was doing fine!

So, the next day, I wake up early and the parents are still not there. I take a quick look and the young ones seemed sick. I quickly noticed one was missing. I went outside and noticed one had fallen from that window (2 stories up) all the way to the grass. I looked and knew he was dead, he looked stiff and wasnā€™t breathing or moving. This was NOT okay. Thinking out of my left intestine, I scoop them out of the nest and place them in a basket with some nesting material I bought for Crystalā€™s hideout. Surely, there was something wrong, they werenā€™t making any noises and their heads were low. And not until then i realized my face was itching badly, my arms were itching too. I go to the mirror and nothing was on my face!

GREAT! Iā€™ve tried to rescue baby birds and I got something. Not only that, but the rescue attempt has partly failed, one little youngling died. Quickly, I search it up online, and looking super closely at the basket I had put the birds in, I realized they were bird mites. At this point, I was extremely scared. If my bird caught the mites, I would end up having to take her to the vet and give her treatments.. so I went to Amazon and bought bird mite killer for pet birds- and I thought they would come off with a bath. So I was fine! Looking at the original nest from a distance, I figured out there were THOUSANDS. I, with a long stick, quickly opened the window and knocked down the infested nest down to the grass.. and I put the younglings in a little cardboard box with a UV light and new nesting material after a warm bath..

And then I realized a bath would not get rid of the mites, and my house was infested with them. The bed, the couch, EVERYTHING. I went immediately to Home Depot and bought mite killer, and sprayed it everywhere. I also tried a home remedy to get rid of the mites, and thankfully it worked. When the bird mite spray arrived after two days, it was already too late for the younglings. They had both died, I think their condition was too severe to even be saved. I couldnā€™t have took them to the vet, the closest avian vet was three hours away and my car would get infested (which honestly I cared less about, but I thought I could take care of the situation myself and if things didnā€™t get better or severely deteriorate, then I would rush.) I didnā€™t know things would get out of hand so quickly, I had fed them baby food and boiled eggs for that one day I didnā€™t talk about because yeesh, too long!

I sprayed my bird with the bird mite spray for the next week and her whole cage, and my entire house, but that still doesnā€™t take away the fact that my rescue attempts had failed. I feel like I should have taken them to the vet instead of doing it myself. They could have had a plentiful life ahead of them, but it was taken away. I shame the parents for leaving their babies behind and send my prayers to the little young ones everyday.. :(

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
it happens...
at least you tried!

Why don't you go and by some "Dutchies" next time?
They are predatormites, so no spraying toxic substances everywhere, just order a few canisters (like they used for rolls of film in the olden days of fotogaphy) and put them about the house.

The predator-mites eat the parasite-mites, and when there is nothing left to eat...they die as well. So the problem really ends there.

It is totally birdsafe and environmentfriendly.

OP
Aerski

Aerski

Oct 24, 2018
Florida, Miami
Parrots
M2 - Crystal (RIP) GCC - Birbo
Thank you!! If I ever spot a loose bird mite, Iā€™ll get rid of it with that.

Most Reactions