My First Bird

lippstikk

May 8, 2022
Parrots
Quincy - Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure (DOB: 2/14/22)
Hello All!

My name is Mandi and I brought home a Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure a few weeks ago. I named her Quincy (DNA sexed female).

I have wanted a bird for years, but I haven't had or taken then time to do all my research until recently and I do not dive into new ventures without researching like crazy. I think I have spent close to 200 hours watching videos and reading up on GCCs and birds in general. I don't like to do anything halfway haha.

I have a dog and a cat (I know, I know, but I have rules and plans to keep this safe) named Arlo and Jasper respectively. Arlo is a shetland sheepdog and Jasper is a ragdoll. Amazingly, they all get along. Quincy likes to cuddle in Arlo's fur, and tries to do the same with Jasper. Jasper gets very confused and walks away. It always seems like he's saying, "lady! You know we aren't supposed to be buddies right?" haha. All these interactions are under EXTREMELY close supervision and even more close at first.

I am excited to teach Quincy a lot, provide lots of scritches and fun snacks and just enjoy all the love. She is already extremely bonded to me and gets super excited when I get home from work and steps up and is already learning a few tricks (turn around, working on waves). She already gives kisses too!

All advice is appreciated (especially multi-species households!). And thank you for letting me join your birb family.

Please enjoy some pictures of my current pets, and my sweetheart Quincy!

28BA1933-D75B-49C0-AA0B-35E1FD34E4D3.jpeg

3575757B-688A-4A89-B161-91140162C719.jpeg
F35A5672-8163-4E19-B709-1ECCD2911A87.jpeg

33A1A688-DF24-4C55-934D-7CD5A8AE8F2B.JPG
IMG_4087.jpg
IMG_4012.jpg
View attachment 39678

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome to the Forums, Mandi, Quincy, Arlo, and Jasper! Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing them. Looking forward to hearing your journey as it unfolds :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would feel pretty ok having a parrot around a herding dog, but you really need to be careful with the cat. Just one bad mood…

Your creatures are all beautiful and I hope things keep working well!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
welcome and congratulations on your gorgeous green cheek!

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
Very cute. Just be stern and No means NO! even a cat can learn when you are serious. And I'm sure you already know to never leave them out alone together.
My kids all know that when we head up to the bird room it means they all need to lay down and chill. If the get up and fool around I make them leave and I close them out of the room

Attachments

• 20211218_170155_HDR.jpg
    20211218_170155_HDR.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 57

foxmacaw

May 6, 2022
Media
Parrots
Blue and gold baby macaw
Hey you sound like us! We're a multi-pet family (dog/cat/bird) and we just acquired our first bird this week after extensive research.

I think having a history of high-involvement pet ownership helps. We've been training dogs and cats for years. We love our pets, but we set boundaries and don't spoil them.

Congrats on your beautiful new Quincy! She looks like quite a snuggler.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Trick training is a GREAT way to improve the bond with your GCC. THe more you teach him, the quicker he will pick up on new tricks and eagerly look forward to learning. Lots can be done with out the use of props, like playing dead, rolling over, wave hello, shake hands, raising wings, bobbing head to music, all with no props.
Great source of props are the infant aisle on the local toy store. OR online.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
So sweet!!! Love all your pets! I’m new to the forums as well and can relate to your post so much! I’m waiting on my Dilute Green Cheek to be ready to come home and have been researching like crazy as well!

Most Reactions