My first Parrot portrait!

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
Hello everybody,

I was at the store the other day looking for Christmas decorations, and saw prints made to look like paintings of dogs with Santa hats so I decided to do a quick painting of something similar of our birdy boy. Honestly I wasn’t sure how this would come out since the only bird I have ever painted before had been a Raven. I’d like to do one of each of our 5 birdy babies.

I have a degree in graphic design but 90% of the jobs I have been hired to do since then has been painting murals of things I never would have chosen to do for myself. Its not often I get to do something for fun of something I want to paint without having to rush it so I had enjoyed this one. It was nice to do something on canvas in smaller scale not standing on a ladder! My son said I should have done a background but I kind of like having a bit of negative space.

Let me know what you think and if theirs anything that I could add.

Attachments

• 17570D70-8FB5-4CDE-A894-C9D63DD6C5D3.jpeg
    17570D70-8FB5-4CDE-A894-C9D63DD6C5D3.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 101

Rozalka

May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'm often jealous how others' art is great! But recently I also noticed one thing - the best ones often belong to people who decided to go in the art way in their private life. This is why I don't wanna compare how much better you are than me :) ;) You're very good:)

OP
Newfie-N-Tx

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
I actually know what you mean because I am good at traditional art using paint, markers and pencils and find it so much easier to do than trying digitally. I have a really hard time with logo design and some people seem to do it no problem. I always get nervous when asked for logos. I can’t draw a heart shape for the life of me! Always had a hard time doing classes where we had to simplify things or some styles where details weren’t allowed. I had friends who were awesome with doing amazing things with shapes and color I just could never do.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
For some odd reason, its more common that individuals are different. I find that is a very good thing, as a result we need each other and our various talents! Enjoy your special talents.

FYI: Love your DYH Amazon in a Christmas Cap!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I myself love no background!
Me too. The great Salvator Dali once came to my college, and in our animation class he was given a pile of blank animation sheets, which have 2 registration holes in them. He said "Dali cannot use these! They have a design on them already!!".

OP
Newfie-N-Tx

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
For some odd reason, its more common that individuals are different. I find that is a very good thing, as a result we need each other and our various talents! Enjoy your special talents.

FYI: Love your DYH Amazon in a Christmas Cap!
This is so true! I always tell my kids how boring the world would be if we were all the same! I honestly love working with other people because of this so much more than on my own!
Like 20 something years ago a friend of mine who was good with lettering and doing abstract designs and I started going around to different businesses trying to sell hand painted custom signs. We met in high school art class and both had our own strengths and weaknesses that complimented each other. For two kids we did pretty well with it. Working with someone else was always the most fun I had with art. Was always less stressful when you have someone working with you who is good with things your not to help.

OP
Newfie-N-Tx

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Me too. The great Salvator Dali once came to my college, and in our animation class he was given a pile of blank animation sheets, which have 2 registration holes in them. He said "Dali cannot use these! They have a design on them already!!".
I’d have loved to have been there to have seen the reaction to that! Dali had a mind to see what most miss. I can imagine he saw design everywhere and the “holes” would be taken as design in his mind. Its very interesting to think about. It’s why he perfected if not invented the surrealism style as we recognize it. I love looking at his work and trying to figure it out. Thanks for sharing! This is a really cool story about one of the Greats!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Hello everybody,

I was at the store the other day looking for Christmas decorations, and saw prints made to look like paintings of dogs with Santa hats so I decided to do a quick painting of something similar of our birdy boy. Honestly I wasn’t sure how this would come out since the only bird I have ever painted before had been a Raven. I’d like to do one of each of our 5 birdy babies.

I have a degree in graphic design but 90% of the jobs I have been hired to do since then has been painting murals of things I never would have chosen to do for myself. Its not often I get to do something for fun of something I want to paint without having to rush it so I had enjoyed this one. It was nice to do something on canvas in smaller scale not standing on a ladder! My son said I should have done a background but I kind of like having a bit of negative space.

Let me know what you think and if theirs anything that I could add.
Absolutely stunning, I humbly wouldn't change a thing! Exquisite detailing of Mummer with bold colors against neutral backdrop is perfection. You've beautifully captured his facial essence and personality!!

OP
Newfie-N-Tx

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Absolutely stunning, I humbly wouldn't change a thing! Exquisite detailing of Mummer with bold colors against neutral backdrop is perfection. You've beautifully captured his facial essence and personality!!
Thank you so much for this critique. I’m actually glad now after everyone’s comments I went with a jet black background.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to go about painting one of our cockatiels Ghost since she is entirely white with red eyes so red you can’t see her pupils. I think I’d have to use some wet on dry techniques to get it to look more realistic. I think I’ll have a harder time painting our two budgie boys since they have so many colors and patterns.

Mummer is quite the character so I tried my best to get his eyes to capture expression in them. His name is actually a holiday themed one my mom suggested after an old timey Christmas tradition of Mummering they do in Newfoundland where we’re from. Which consists of making a costume of random things around your house. Like underwear the outside of your pants, bag or mop over your head the weirder the better... all to disguise yourself and go knocking on neighbors doors asking “any Mummers ‘lowed(allowed) in?” Which if they let you in you sing, dance tell jokes really anything goes until they guess who you are and then they proceed to give you food and drinks. I usually describe it as trick or treating for adults when people ask me what Mummers name means. It always freaks me out how my mom nailed it with his name choosing one that suits his personality because he is quite the entertainer already.

Most Reactions

Latest posts