birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
So I was sitting at the cumpoter with Misty and Daisy and I looked out the storm door and saw Torre looking back and noticed she had a big ugly red spot over half her neck:eek: - She had been itching a lot lately she is on frontline for flees and last week I had bathed her with this really good prescription flee, tick, and gnat shampoo but that hadn't seemed to help. SO I run and put my birds in their cages and go out side to give her a bath which I had planned on doing anyway so this is crazy but from all our dogs we have like 4 or 5 prescription shampoos so I grabbed the one with oatmeal and stuff for itchy skin from when my beloved Dog Bunny had allergies and gave her a good bath with that after which she just kept on itching so I gave her a benadryll (vet said it was ok for stuff before) and put triple antibiotic on the sore she also has one right underneeth he mouth and on her paw. So after a few minutes of her itching really bad the benadryl knocked her out and she went to bed but she was shivering a whole lot so I covered her up with some extra towls and am waiting for mom to get home from the salon to see what to do.
ANy ideas???

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I have heard of this kind of reaction to fleas etc but never a first person story. I really dont know what to suggest. The only time we have had bad fleas was when I lived in Nova Scotia and they were constant there (and REALLY bad) regardless of treatments and baths etc. Have you called your vet? Usually to call does not cost a thing but they wont diagnose like that, but advise is advise.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Jess suffers from a really bad flea allergy, but I've never known her to come up like that? Has it come up really quickly? I wish I could give you some ideas but I really can't think of anything. Does she have any puncture wounds do you know? Please let us know how she gets on.

OP
birdcrazy

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
ok so mom came home we took her to the vet he gave her a shot he thinks it's a staff infection he said anything could have triggered it. right now she is really sleepy LOL but doesn't seem to be quite as itchy

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh Kelli, (((hugs))) I'm sorry that your poor little one is ill. I'm glad you took her to the vet. Staph is everywhere, no telling really once infection sets in from whence it has come. I hope that the shot gave her some relief. I'm sure you were beside yourself with worry :( Speedy recovery!! :smile015:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
((((((((((((((Torre)))))))))))))))

So glad you took her in to the vet. I am so so glad she has gotten some relief and is on her way to getting better. All the best her way.

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm so pleased that she is feeling a little better, I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for her.

Don't our fids and furbys just love to worry us. :D :D

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
I've been so busy with work lately and trying to teach Popsicle the fundamentals of flying. I've been checking in and reading some posts when I got the time. I have lots of catching up to do! Probably get at it this weekend. There are a lot of new members to say Hi to!!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts