My future baby bird has hatched

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
So I previously mentioned I had a baby girl kakariki on reserve from the breeder but the last group of babies didn't work out for me due to time constraints. But so it looks like this will be the bunch that I will, more likely than not, be getting a new baby from once weaned. The chicks are only 7-10 days old right now. :propeller

I'm crossing my fingers, but I have a good feeling. I feel like my new girl is in this mix. I don't know why I'm paranoid as if I will never be able to get one again.. I just keep hoping there's at least one girl in there! Hopefully there is. (I need a female because I have a male Turquoisine.) He said there most likely would be. I guess I'm just anxious.

Merlin and I are still feeling the separation anxiety from losing Cleo, but we are doing better. He is active and back to his almost normal self again. I think he's just looking for company. He tries to chirp at my senegal but my Senegal pays no mind to him. Poor Merlin lol. But I am looking forward to the positive future of taking care of such a tiny baby. :) My house is not a home without a kakariki that's for sure...

So hopefully in a month or so I can bring home a new girl. They are cinnamon Kakarikis. I have good anticipation for the future.:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congratulations! This Kakariki will be the ONE :) Did you find a different breeder or the same one?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Aww, itsy bitsy chicks! Congrats! I hope things work out well.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Awwww.....cute baby Kakarikis......I'm hand feeding 5 baby tiels right now for a friend of mine. Love little babies!!!! :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Thank you! Yes it's the same breeder. I know many are skeptic about that but he is actually very reputable and I have bad luck. It's hard to sway the skepticism over forum because it's hard to convey every detail of what I saw in person.

Tiki was terminally ill for an extended period of time, slowly getting more lethargic from anemia. He was perfectly fine, just lethargic and beginning to sleep a lot until things went downhill. He could have had cancer for all I know. He was just terminal and that's the one I can't even talk about or think about...

Cleo on the other hand had a sudden illness. Her records showed her to be very healthy, so something leads me to NOW believe that maybe the few times I put a cage liner in the cage that maybe she ate some while foraging. I normally just use newspaper but a few times I used an absorbent liner. In that cage, they can still reach under the grate if they try. So now I am wondering if she ingested that because I remember she shredded some so I took it out.. Maybe it was that...that wouldn't show up on xray.. This may just be me blaming myself again too, I don't know...

I always feel guilty when any pet dies. I think I will always feel guilty because I've had birds for a decade and I am so careful with whatever they eat and play with I make sure they are extremely healthy and safe. So when these things happen I feel guilty and that I should know better like I feel like I did something wrong. :-/ I am just accepting what happened and am trying to move on. I think when I get the new baby in just over a month it will be another good new beginning.

With regards to the breeder though, I couldn't get a baby from the last nest because the second caretaker was going away for a couple of weeks so he had to sell/give them to other breeders or very experienced people who have dealt with chicks not really out of the nest or weaned. He said he will raise a girl for me and then I will get her once she is fully weaned and sustainable. It is something good to look forward to. I have a good feeling. Luck comes in 3's they say, right? Three times the charm? Lol

In the meantime, I've just been spending time with Baby (the senegal, aka the attention hog lol) and Merlin. Merlin has his playful moments in his cage (he loves his swing) but I can tell he misses having a buddy.

So that is my very long obnoxious update lol sorry for the long rant.

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
On a side note, my cell phone has FINALLY absorbed things into its virtual dictionary like "kakariki" and "turquoisine" and other random uncommon bird related words LOL oh the struggle I had from before from all the autocorrect it did!!!! Hehe :D

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Yay! Congrats! They are all so cute! :D I hope this one will live a long healthy life! :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
They are very cute, Valerie! I too hope your new baby has a very long and happy life!

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

The babies! The breeder sent me this photo today :) so I put a little border on it haha I am documenting :p

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Precious new pics Valerie :). Are you getting DNA before you pick one?

I think Merlin needs a buddy in the same way my Twigs has ever since his friend died. :( Those small parakeet species really have a strong flock drive. One day I'd like to get an indoor aviary or the largest flight cage I can find for Twigs and at least one other friend.

Ps.. I hate my autocorrect. It always tries to "correct" things to my typos :02:.

Last edited:

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
The babies are so adorable!! Such exciting news for you. Congrats!!!

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Precious new pics Valerie :). Are you getting DNA before you pick one?

I think Merlin needs a buddy in the same way my Twigs has ever since his friend died. :( Those small parakeet species really have a strong flock drive. One day I'd like to get an indoor aviary or the largest flight cage I can find for Twigs and at least one other friend.

Ps.. I hate my autocorrect. It always tries to "correct" things to my typos :02:.

I feel the same exact way with Merlin, he is so lonely I can tell. Like I said, he calls out to the senegal who could care less lol. I would loooove an aviary one day for Merlin and more turquoisines, Kakarikis, really any of the colorful keets. :) (ps. I hate my autocorrect too, it makes me edit my posts like 10 times LOL)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

Another update! The breeder just texted me! This is my girl!!! He said she was the prettiest of the bunch! She has yellow on her tail and on the outside of her wings. (And some growing baby feathers in there hehe those cute lil fluffy feathers :D). But she's a cinnamon pied :) but only a little pie. (Haha)

He is going to keep caring for her until she is weaned and ready to relocate to me. :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014

Updates! This breeder really is nice. He sends me photos so I can still watch her grow up. With that being said I have a little timeline of her thus far :)

As of right now she is 5 weeks old. She should be coming home within the next two weeks :):green1:

EdgesofTwilight

Sep 2, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Parrots
Cosmo - Hahn's Macaw
Beautiful little girl. It's amazing when you're able to see them grow from a hatchling. I love the yellow on yours. I can't wait to see the colors on her when she is fully grown.

Dec 14, 2014
Parrots
R.I.P Kiwiberry, GCC.
Look at how fluffy they are! It just melts my heart.

How do you sex kakarikis? DNA?
I really hope for Merlin and your sake that your girl is in there! :)

OP
R

RainbowRose

Aug 6, 2014
Look at how fluffy they are! It just melts my heart.

How do you sex kakarikis? DNA?
I really hope for Merlin and your sake that your girl is in there! :)

Kakarikis are dichotomous by beaks mostly and body definitely by adult age. Beaks you can tell as early as 3 weeks when you've got boys and girls in a nest you can compare them. Boys have long slender beaks and girls are wider at the top and more triangular than slender.

Last edited:

Most Reactions