My gcc conure found out how to go under the couch

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a green cheek conure who is 2 months. We’ve had him for a little bit now and me and him have a great bond. Recently he discovered a way to go under our couch. I didn’t even know he was able to do that, and he’s only doing it because he wants to explore under it and he knows he’s not allowed under it. I don’t want him going under there as he could get hurt, we have a couch that is capable of reclining and adjusting the seats, so there’s a lot of mechanics and wiring under the couch. But as of right now the only place in the house he’s used to is our living room and kitchen. Which leads me to my question; does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to keep him from going under the couch? I plan to clean out a spare room for us to play in, but as of right now I need a little help.
(Heres a photo of the troublemaker, the stuff behind him is not the couch btw!)

Attachments

• 192F0476-B31F-498F-856E-52243772B35E.jpeg
    192F0476-B31F-498F-856E-52243772B35E.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 50

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fairly common for most Parrots to investigate the dark places that exist within our homes. Very common with Parrots that are Free Roamers /allowed to wander the floors.
Redirecting their interests is a common method. If the furniture has a skirt look at a method of reducing the ease of moving it. Understand that a determined Parrot can find a way around most any obstruction.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Oh he is so cute! I agree with SailBoat about trying to redirect his attention when he's out and about in the living room. Does he have a play stand/area or a safe place you could put him with toys and treats?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
At my apartment complex, the maintenance man built a hardware cloth guard so my friend’s lovebird couldn’t get under her fridge. Could you do something similar?

I’m also wondering if you use the reclining features on your sofa or if you could stuff foam or pool noodles under the skirt to block out your conure?

This is why I don’t allow my birds down on the floor. There are too many things they could get into. Playgyms, baskets, etc could keep him up off the floor…

Last edited:
OP
Chomper

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Oh he is so cute! I agree with SailBoat about trying to redirect his attention when he's out and about in the living room. Does he have a play stand/area or a safe place you could put him with toys and treats?
Yep!! We had it out but he was more interested in exploring, usually when we have him out, we keep a close eye on him

OP
Chomper

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
At my apartment complex, the maintenance man built a hardware cloth guard so my friend’s lovebird couldn’t get under her fridge. Could you do something similar?

I’m also wondering if you use the reclining features on your sofa or if you could stuff foam or pool noodles under the skirt to block out your conure?

This is why I don’t allow my birds down on the floor. There are too many things they could get into. Playgyms, baskets, etc could keep him up off the floor…
Yeah, we’ll definitely try that, he does love climbing on high places, but if you’re sitting on the floor, or in the kitchen, he’ll usually fly onto you, or on a surface around you, just to be near you. We started using pillows to block the skirt and so far its working, we’ll probably use that as a temporary thing until we’re able to get something else!

OP
Chomper

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
How much space between the couch and the floor?
Theres not much space, he’s able to get under there by ducking down and slowly sliding underneath. After it happened the first time we got scared, and started using pillows as a temporary solution to block the skirt of the couch.

OP
Chomper

Chomper

Sep 27, 2022
Media
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Fairly common for most Parrots to investigate the dark places that exist within our homes. Very common with Parrots that are Free Roamers /allowed to wander the floors.
Redirecting their interests is a common method. If the furniture has a skirt look at a method of reducing the ease of moving it. Understand that a determined Parrot can find a way around most any obstruction.
we’re using pillows to block and so far its working! His wings are NOT clipped, so he can freely fly around and onto our shoulder, it’s just if your sitting somewhere he’ll want to join you, we’ll use the pillows as a temporary thing until we’re able to find something else, we’ve had him for a little over a month so he’s still adjusting to our house, thank you, and everyone for the advice!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am thinking pool noodles or pipe insulation would come in long skinny pieces that you could use to block it pretty well, and maybe duct tape in place?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am thinking pool noodles or pipe insulation would come in long skinny pieces that you could use to block it pretty well, and maybe duct tape in place?

Take care with duck tape as the sticky side can adhere to the furniture and is a pain to get off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts