My green cheek seems nervous all the time now. Ideas on calming him down?

bcjc

Nov 30, 2022
Cochran used to be very tame. Now he screams a lot and acts like he’s always wanting to fly away from something that frightens him. He’s always on alert. He drives me nuts with his screaming. Ideas on what’s going on with him?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Sounds like something is making him anxious. Did you get a new tall lamp, dog, thing with a long cord? Is someone doing work outside his window? Whatever it is may not seem like a big deal to you but it must be scary to him. being super alert is how little birds keep themselves alive in the wild. A bird who flys away at every blowing leaf won’t be snuck up on easily.

My Quaker was biting me many times a day because there was construction on the brick of our building. They removed the dangling rope from across his window and today he was sweet and snuggly, playing with his toys and wanting head rubs.

Figure out what’s upsetting your bird and change it or reassure him with contact calls or something to hide behind. He needs to feel safe to interact with you.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
more details on him and yu will help get you some suggestions.

OP
B

bcjc

Nov 30, 2022
more details on him and yu will help get you some suggestions.
My female conure compared to him is very relaxed. He does sit by a window. I notice he and the two dogs seem to interact. Like if a car comes down the driveway, and the dogs sound an alarm, he gets into it too. Maybe they’re setting him off with their behavior. He runs into his cage when certain people come into the room. And if I approach the cage to put them away, he knows and frantically runs into it before I make him.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe he is a more high-strung bird and needs extra time to calm down and extra reassurance?

My Meyers parrot, Jasper, was making a horrible shrill call that went right through my head for many months. I noticed that he seemed to be anxious so I tried talking to him calmly and answering “I’m right here” or “it’s ok” when he made that call. He doesn’t do it much any more and he fear-bites less. Moral: it can help to comfort.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My female conure compared to him is very relaxed. He does sit by a window. I notice he and the two dogs seem to interact. Like if a car comes down the driveway, and the dogs sound an alarm, he gets into it too. Maybe they’re setting him off with their behavior. He runs into his cage when certain people come into the room. And if I approach the cage to put them away, he knows and frantically runs into it before I make him.
Is the female conure a gcc or different species?

Most Reactions

Latest posts