My heart jumped out of my chest

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
I had a big scare here this evening. I am trying to get ready to go on a trip and trying to get loads of laundry done. We have a stacked washer dryer in a little closet that faces our bedroom. The birds have been crawling around me all afternoon and I wanted to switch the clothes around and start a new load, so I put them on their stand, which is in the attached living room, but is facing the other way. They were munching on some snacks and were quiet as I took the clothes out of the washer to put into the dryer. Then I left the lid for the washer(it lifts up) up and went into the bedroom to get the next load of clothes. Two seconds later the lid banged down. The latch is not quite secure and it does that sometimes. I came back into the room to check on the birds, because they were being quiet and Hamlet was the only one on the stand. I couldn't see Mac anywhere and my first thought was that he was in the washer or trapped or something. He was not making any sounds. I lifted the lid and there he was, at the bottom of the barrell looking up at me. I scooped him up and cuddled him and then examined him. He seemed ok, but I was still worried. I checked him all out and looked him over and he seems ok, THANK GOD!! He smelled a little like detergent, so I took him to the shower and got him thourghly soaked (which he did not like). I was worried about having a head injury or internal injury, so I called Jason at work and he called an emergency vet. She told us to check the pupils and makes sure he is eating and breathing ok. Everything checks out ok and he has flown around again and he is preening Hamlet and acting cute, so I think he is all right, but my heart was beating a mile a minute. I actually started crying before I could write this post. It teaches me that anything can happen at any minute and I need to be extra vigilant. I won't ever leave that lid open again!!!!
I think what happened is that he flew over to see me just as I was going into the other room and tried to land on the washer. He must have landed far back against the lid and it shifted enough so that it fell down and he fell into the washer. I don't think he got hit by anything, but I don't know why he didn't make a sound. Maybe he was stunned. I am so glad that I didn't start the water or pour in the liquid detergent before I gathered the clothes. the what ifs are running through my head. What if he got caught in the lid between the side? I can't keep thinking about this. I am just going to give my baby lots and lots of hugs tonight!!!!

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
I have to tell you, she called me at work in a complete panic -- I was worried too ... and here in the States it's the night before a major holiday ... NO ONE IS OPEN - luckily I could get ahold of an emergency vet who told us what to look for/ be concerned with - and to this point Mac has shown NONE of those signs ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
OMG, I can understand how scared you must have been.

Christy, please don't beat yourself up over this we all learn by our mistakes, and hopefully we learn before anyone gets hurt. I know it doesn't stop you feeling bad about it, but you have realised its best to shut the lid. How many of us would have thought to close the lid, before we read your post. I'm sure Mac is gonna be just fine, (again easy for me to say don't worry)

Hopefully anyone who has a washer with the lift up lid will read this and think very carefully, so for that thank you for posting.

You go away and have a great trip, (Is Tex going with you, or staying at home fid sitting) I'm sure he'll keep his eye on them and keep you informed.

DON'T GO BEATING YOURSELF UP.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
That adrenelin rush is a killer ..u will be feeling hung over now wee soul ..alls well that ends well x

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
No Tex isn't going with her ... Tex leaves Sunday morning to go to Texas for a few days ... my sis is going to fid sit for a few days until Christy comes back on Monday ... we are going to be all over the place for the next week or so ...

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Have a great time both of you. How long you going for Tex?

Christy don't worry I'm sure your fids are in good hands, just have a great time.

OP
Christy

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
Thanks Peta. I missed my little guys like crazy (and tex too). When I got home last night it was after dark and they had put themselves to bed. But when they saw me, they both hopped out and seemed really happy to see me. That was really nice. We've had a very nice morning. I am so happy to have them to come home to!!!!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I hate it if I'm away all day, but its so nice to come home to them. I can only imagine how much you missed them, I bet they were overjoyed at seeing you again.

Hope you had a great time. Glad your back we missed you.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
My goodness, Christy, I just now read this thread; what a FREIGHT!! I am so glad that it all turned out well.

Homecoming is always so nice ... home to those that love us (and are loved by us). :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts