My IRN is acting crazy

Ernies mom

Jul 7, 2022
North Port, Florida
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Ernie,my 30 month old irn has stopped talking, has become very aggressive, and esp territorial over drawers in my dresser attacking and trying to commandeer them swooping in even from a different room if he hears me open one. He has one drawer in my nightstand that I gave him long before this started with socks and toys that he is allowed to play in. He no longer is interested in that drawer. He also has been suddenly striking at me biting me hard during regular sessions of scratching and talking to him. Is this hormonal? He? just finished a molt and still doesn't have a black ring. I always guessed he was male due to his behaviors. He suddenly went from a sweet affectionate little chatterbox to a holy terror! Please help me!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yup, sounds like puberty has begun! DO the usual things to limit ( but not eliminate) hormonal behavior
10-12 hrs solid sleep
no touching except the head
no access to nesting like material
no access to dark hidey spots (like your DRAWS!)
limit or eliminate foods high in sugars, like corn !
ignore humping things

Be patient - This Too Shall Pass !

OP
Ernies mom

Ernies mom

Jul 7, 2022
North Port, Florida
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Yup, sounds like puberty has begun! DO the usual things to limit ( but not eliminate) hormonal behavior
10-12 hrs solid sleep
ignore humping things

Thank you, I've done those things except I've still been giving him a small piece of corn on the cob a few times a week. I haven't seen any humping yet. He has also stopped talking for about the last month. How long does this last and does it happen every year?
10-12 hrs solid sleep
ignore humping things

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
How is he doing now?

My African ringneck turned 2 in June and started molting in July - he was VERY GRUMPY and stopped talking during the first 3-4 weeks. He also started lunging at me for the first time! He's now back to himself, chatting up the birds outside every day, and playing with toys again.

For most parrots, the year they go through puberty is the worst as far as spring/summer hormones. They do go through a little surge of hormones seasonally each year, but it shouldn't be as bad.

I hope little Ernie is getting back to himself! He is absolutely beautiful :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Just remember that you are not alone as near everyone joins their Parrots as they pass though this change in their life! Know that they are just as confused about all of this as you are! It is important to not take it personally as they have zero control over the flow, nor how much and for how long. What as been suggested above helps, but as stated, each Parrot travels this road differently.

And, as stated; "This Too Shall Pass!" But, remember that Hormonal Seasons begins again next year!! With this species, they commonly are easier. But no assurances as each Parrot is different.

OP
Ernies mom

Ernies mom

Jul 7, 2022
North Port, Florida
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Thank you for you help and concern everyone. Erie is back to his (or her) sweet self. I actually had to board him for 12 days during a last minute trip. The local parrot rescue does boarding and i was worried sick that he would not do well as he is not used to being caged during the day and very spoiled. Well, surprise! He liked it, they said he was chatting them up all day and they had him out of the cage in the "bonding room" for short periods. He was excited to see me and has been a sweet little love bug ever since. Sooo grateful! 🥰🥰

Most Reactions