My IRN likes to eat flesh and has an addiction with cellphones

BlazeyKitty

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Peach faced lovebird
As the tiles says he likes to bite into skin and eat it, whenever he sees a scab he never loses the opportunity to take it off and eat it, maybe he thinks its yummy but I want that to stop and whenever he sees a cellphone he can't stop chasing it and biting it . :oops:

Any good tips on how to make him stop eating flesh and stop having an addiction with cellphones? šŸ˜”

Vanessa.V

May 4, 2018
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Elly - sun conure
Oswin - budgie
I would try offering him alternative things to chew or play with when he is tempted to go after something you donā€™t want him to. To prevent my sun conure, Elly, from chewing at my shirt while sitting on my shoulder I will give her a piece of wood to chew on or some sort of foot toy to mess with. Sometimes she will want to sit on my head and nibble at my hair, and I just remove her and place her back on her perch and with something appropriate to chew at.

As for the cellphone issueā€¦. Is he being aggressive towards your phone and trying to attack it? Or is he just wanting to play/chew it? If it is an aggressive thing, this reminds me of Elly with random objects, as well. There are just certain seemingly random things she just does not like and will either bite me or bite at the object. Many times itā€™s the sounds these objects make when in use that bothers her. Certain game controllers, using a calculator, the presence or rustling of SOME plastic bags, the popping on and off of the caps of chapsticks (or even me applying chapstick) or the screw caps of plastic bottles. These things just trigger her to go into attack mode for some reason.

Over time, I have been able to get Elly to tolerate some of these things through training. It can take a lot of patience, and sometimes there will always be some things that just set them off. There are still times where I will just put Elly in her cage while Iā€™m using something she wants to attack. So, you can either just not have your bird have access to your phone or you can try to build tolerance through training.

I do clicker training with Elly, which is really effective in my experience. Even without a clicker you can try rewarding your bird when it doesnā€™t react to the presence of your phone.

At first, you can have your phone near your birdā€™s cage, so they canā€™t actually get to it. If they start reacting aggressively to the phone (like trying to get to it or biting at their perch) wait until they calm down and then reward/give a treat. Start by having your phone further away and gradually move it closer to your birdā€™s cage until they donā€™t react to it at all. And then you can try outside of the cage. Sounds tedious, I know, but it may work.

OP
BlazeyKitty

BlazeyKitty

Mar 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ringneck
Peach faced lovebird
I would try offering him alternative things to chew or play with when he is tempted to go after something you donā€™t want him to. To prevent my sun conure, Elly, from chewing at my shirt while sitting on my shoulder I will give her a piece of wood to chew on or some sort of foot toy to mess with. Sometimes she will want to sit on my head and nibble at my hair, and I just remove her and place her back on her perch and with something appropriate to chew at.

As for the cellphone issueā€¦. Is he being aggressive towards your phone and trying to attack it? Or is he just wanting to play/chew it? If it is an aggressive thing, this reminds me of Elly with random objects, as well. There are just certain seemingly random things she just does not like and will either bite me or bite at the object. Many times itā€™s the sounds these objects make when in use that bothers her. Certain game controllers, using a calculator, the presence or rustling of SOME plastic bags, the popping on and off of the caps of chapsticks (or even me applying chapstick) or the screw caps of plastic bottles. These things just trigger her to go into attack mode for some reason.

Over time, I have been able to get Elly to tolerate some of these things through training. It can take a lot of patience, and sometimes there will always be some things that just set them off. There are still times where I will just put Elly in her cage while Iā€™m using something she wants to attack. So, you can either just not have your bird have access to your phone or you can try to build tolerance through training.

I do clicker training with Elly, which is really effective in my experience. Even without a clicker you can try rewarding your bird when it doesnā€™t react to the presence of your phone.

At first, you can have your phone near your birdā€™s cage, so they canā€™t actually get to it. If they start reacting aggressively to the phone (like trying to get to it or biting at their perch) wait until they calm down and then reward/give a treat. Start by having your phone further away and gradually move it closer to your birdā€™s cage until they donā€™t react to it at all. And then you can try outside of the cage. Sounds tedious, I know, but it may work.
well with the phone, he sees it instantly and thinks it for biting but he doesn't get aggressive or anything he just wants to bite it and idk why, other than that if someone else touches a cellphone he gets angry šŸ˜”

Thank you for the tips btw! šŸ˜„

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts