My lovebird cheek pooping red?

Linlin

Aug 16, 2018
Parrots
Lovebirds
Hello, i’m new here and i have some lovebirds chick.. i feed my lovebirds chick the nytribird a21 formula starting 2 days ago, and they love it they’re eating a lot more than the previous local formula i use.. but my problem is, this morning i notice my chick’s poop is a reddish brown color? Is it blooded poop? What should i do?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, hope we can get you some answers quickly! I am not a breeder or familiar with various formulas and cannot give reliable advice. Do you know other breeders of lovebirds who use similar formula? Any avian vets in your area? Hopefully some of our breeder members will answer!

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
So this is a very young baby that you are hand-feeding formula? How old is this chick?
Does this chick have all of it's down feathers in yet? How about it's outer feathers?

Are you keeping him in a Brooder with a controlled ambient temperature at all times? Are you making sure that all of the formula you are feeding him is between 104-110 degrees F by using a cooking/candy thermometer?

Is his crop almost emptying between feedings and then completely emptying overnight? Can you check the outside of his crop, on his chest (meaning the outer skin covering his crop) to see if it appears at all red or inflamed?

There are a lot of possibilities here, but the most common are that the bird had some type of fall, or was dropped, etc. and has some type of internal bleeding; The formula you have been feeding the baby was hotter than 110 degrees F and has caused a crop-burn; or the baby has some type of GI parasite or infection. I need more information about your set-up and your processes to be able to help you further...

Most Reactions

Latest posts