My lovebird passed away last night…

cinematiccloud

May 25, 2022
Parrots
Lovebirds green cheek conures
My lovebird hurt its leg last week and I took it to the vet and they told me they had to amputate one of its toes. So we came home with antibiotics and pain medicine fed it until the surgery…

Yesterday my bird went into surgery the vet said it was recovering well and then it died last night…

We still have its partner who’s still alive and well… I don’t even know if it’s partner will bond with a new bird. I’m just feeling lost. I lost so much money trying to heal its leg, I didn’t think my bird would die

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My lovebird hurt its leg last week and I took it to the vet and they told me they had to amputate one of its toes. So we came home with antibiotics and pain medicine fed it until the surgery…

Yesterday my bird went into surgery the vet said it was recovering well and then it died last night…

We still have its partner who’s still alive and well… I don’t even know if it’s partner will bond with a new bird. I’m just feeling lost. I lost so much money trying to heal its leg, I didn’t think my bird would die
I am so sorry you lost your bird. Please don't blame yourself, you did the best you could to help your bird. Sadly, birds often hide their weaknesses, so he may have looked fine but he wasn't.
I don't think there was anything you could do to save him, you didn't know he was going to die.

RIP little guy :(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Lovie. Please don't blame yourself, you did everything you possibly could.

As far as her mate, keep an eye on him. All of my lovies deeply grieved their partners, so as added a new one and all of mine got along. We did not put them in the same cage for a couple of months, we had their cages side by side.

I do want to say that with my last single Lovie, Zoe, they were older birds, he was in his teens. He grieved just like the others had and broke my heart to watch him, but then I realized that if I add another bird, she would more than likely outlive Zoe and I would be putting her through this same grief. I didn't add a partner for him, and after a few months he became himself again.

I think it's just a matter of watching how he grieves, and how quickly he stops.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry for your loss. They are so very special I wish none of us had to go through this. Hugs

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am sorry for your loss.

My Lucy had a bad leg and it gave her trouble for many years. Though your bird is gone now, at least it won’t be hurting.

Thank you for taking such good care of your birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts