my macaws

dancingwithbears

Jul 5, 2007
Media
hey guys and gals,

well as you know i asked about my birdies warming up to me. i havent pushed them at all. i have been giving them treats thru the bars of the cage. well tonight i opened the cage to give them the treats and as they were eating them i was talking to them. a couple of minutes whent by and one of them came out and whent to the top of the cage. then the other one came out allso. i am really excited but i dont know if they fully trust me to start working with them or not. what else should i be looking for before i start working with them? i have bought the book parrots for dumbings but it really doesnt give any body launage in it to look for.

thanks
derek

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
I would try to move closer to them ... if they run away, or open their beaks, lift their wings etc then I'd stop and try again later (in a few minutes say - but go with how they are). Talking in soft tones and the area being not noisy (fairly calm) would be best. Congrats on this progress though :)

quakerxxoats

Jun 28, 2007
Parrots
Coconut-the albino 'tiel, mango-the peachfaced lovebird, waffles-the parakeet, Lucy and Lulu-Jenday conures, and Cookie-The rescue sun conure
I would take things in baby steps, BABY STEPS and don't expect linear progress. Many times, it's two steps forward, one step back, another two forward, and one back. But overtime, you will see that there has been change. Keep up the great work, congrats on the progress they (and you!) have made.

I don't know if you said this already, but what kind of macaws are they?

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Serenity & Pix and their kids Jade & Tango (Peachfaced Lovebirds) and Bonnie (Budgie)
Perhaps keep a journal or blog or something about your experiences with your macaws.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Awesome, see your persistance and patience has paid off ... now, continue at their speed and everything will be all good!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
i have bought the book parrots for dumbings but it really doesnt give any body launage in it to look for.

Believe me if you push it too far, you will notice the body language change, it will be a beak or two clamped round your finger. :eek:

Seriously tho' you are doing great, keep it up, over time you will get to notice the body language, of each of them. Also the body language of the two could mean two different things, Keep a look out for things like eye pinning, ruffled feathers, a sound, etc. They will tell you all sorts of things about your fids. Finding out just what they mean is challenging to say the least. Yeah a blog is a great way of keeping track of such things.

You have all made wonderful progress so far, keep it up you are doing great. The trust will grow each step of the way. Totally agree with quakerxxoats, its definately one step forward two back sometimes, but soon it will be forward all the way. On the days they are not interested then keep working with them through the bars, their cage is their safety zone,

You are doing brilliantly, keep it up and please keep us updated on how you are all doing.

OP
dancingwithbears

dancingwithbears

Jul 5, 2007
Media
wow,
thanks for the replies guys. the type of macaws are ringneck to answer that question. the body launage is all good than i guess because when i am talking to them they both come over to which ever side of the cage i am on and there eyes pin, they dont talk yet but i am trying to get them to say hello and when i say "hello" they pin and mouth the words all most like they are trying. i read in the book that macaws will rub each others beaks a sign of love. so i have been doing that also. one of them is letting me rub the top of her head. it is kind of funny when i am talking to one of them the other one will start dancing hanging up side down just acting funny trying to get my attention. it is hilariuos. thanks for the kind words everybody and will defiantly keep everyone up to date how we are doing. oh my son named them too. ruby and louis(sp) it is from a kids cartoon show called "ruby and max". peta i will get some better shots of the girls since they coming out of the cage.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh great news, I'm so happy now I'm dancing a real jig. :D :59: :59: :59: :59: :59:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Okay, all that is great dancingwithbears, but you are failing to do one very very important thing .....

WHERE'S OUR PICTURES!?!?!?!!

We want pictures .... pictures pictures pictures!!! :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:18: :18: :18: I think the addiction is catching. :18: :18: :18:

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
who - moi??? Naw, Im a photoaholic and proud of it! To the point where my cats just stink eye me now when they see I have a camera anywhere near me lol. Good thing my dog is a camera whore .... she LOVES her pictures taken ... she even poses - no joke.

OP
dancingwithbears

dancingwithbears

Jul 5, 2007
Media
thats funny,

everybody is getting on me about pics. i do have two up in the pics section also i am work shhhhh. i look at the forumn a couple of times a day. i will deffiantly get pics tonight.

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
YEAH!!!

pics pics pics pics *giggles insanely*

.......................................................... I SO need another hobby!

indigo

May 20, 2007
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
*looks side to side suspiciously, hiding something hidden under a long trench coat* Your secrets' safe with me

Code word: mum

Most Reactions

Latest posts