My new adventure - the search for a rescue parrot

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Greater Metro Detroit Area
Parrots
Homer (male GCC) - DOB 1.9.19
Frida (female cockatiel) - DOB 7.2.19 (RIP)
Gus (male quaker) - DOB 7.20.20
So, hi! I've posted previously here about pet insurance. But I thought I'd share about the new adventure I've decided to take on...and maybe a little about why.

I just finished setting up a trust for my birds. I don't have children...in fact, I *cannot* have children. That's actually one of the reasons I got my first birds in the first place (please no tips about adoption or fostering, I've explored it).

The only reason I'm mentioning this aspect of my life is because I want to illustrate the role my parrots play in my life. They are my feathered children. I devote a lot of time to them, and they get outside-cage playtime 3 times a day, along with interaction during the day because I work from home. I am clergy, so that takes me out of the house quite often, and I do have an active social life...but still, the birds are getting at least 5 hours a day of in-your-face interaction, while a human is pretty much within sight or earshot at all times for the rest of the day.

My active social life means I entertain often. A couple of my friends have bonded to my birds, that way when I travel the birds have someone they know and like watching them.

I do care for my elderly mother, and she does live in the house. Honestly, she is very involved with the care of the birds as well...she stops by the cages a few times a day to play games and offer healthy treats, and often puts a bird on her shoulder while she reads or watches tv. So, wow, maybe they get more than just 5 hours of one-on-one time! LOL :18:

So...I've come to the decision that I have too much love to give for only 2 birds. My cockatiel, Frida is NOT cuddly, she likes to sit on a shoulder or be around people but not to be touched. My conure, Homer, is super cuddly and playful but not necessarily down for hanging out ALL day.

I want a bigger bird. I want a bird that will hang out with me all day, enjoy the very social atmosphere in my home, and maybe even be cuddly!

So, this week I visited a bird rescue that is super reputable. I explained my lifestyle, and left my number. So, it looks like I'm going to stop by every week or so until I meet a bird that might be a good fit! They will be expecting me and I can play with all the birds and meet any newcomers. This rescue has you work with the bird for a month or so to properly bond before completing adoption, so I know I'm looking at a very long process.

I decided to start this thread in order to kind of journal my adventure, as I've never done this before. The idea of a rescue parrot is a little scary, but I'm giving it a try instead of buying!

I'm also happy to hear any and all advice along the way.

I'm looking at african greys and eclectus parrots, but honestly I'm more concerned about personality vs species.

Well, a couple exceptions. I live in the suburbs, and my idea of manageable noise is if the neighbors cannot hear my birds while inside their own homes during the morning racket. So, as much as I LOVE macaws and cockatoos...they are not going to work. I've heard them yell. Also, I've been told by the rescue people not to get an amazon for my mother's safety.

Soooo....yeah. This will be a ride!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Oh goodness - I look forward to following your adventure! I have 6 birds, all rescues or rehomes - and I will say that it is very rewarding when your bird chooses you, or you suddenly notice that the bond you’ve been working toward is there. It sounds like you are well prepared for this journey....and I think you’ll enjoy it.

I volunteer at a rescue (have for a few years now), and I completely agree with your assessment of living with macaws or cockatoos (I like my eardrums, thank you) :).

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Certain Amazon species like Orange Winged and Mealys can be very mellow, and ANY bird presents a bite danger.

You’re envisioning the perfect scenario with your new bird...he’s going to love both you and your Mom, not make a lot of noise, act friendly, “human,” and in accordance with your wishes...but this is far from guaranteed.

Yes, spending time at the rescue helps, but it’s still always a question mark.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
So, hi! I've posted previously here about pet insurance. But I thought I'd share about the new adventure I've decided to take on...and maybe a little about why.

I just finished setting up a trust for my birds. I don't have children...in fact, I *cannot* have children. That's actually one of the reasons I got my first birds in the first place (please no tips about adoption or fostering, I've explored it).

The only reason I'm mentioning this aspect of my life is because I want to illustrate the role my parrots play in my life. They are my feathered children. I devote a lot of time to them, and they get outside-cage playtime 3 times a day, along with interaction during the day because I work from home. I am clergy, so that takes me out of the house quite often, and I do have an active social life...but still, the birds are getting at least 5 hours a day of in-your-face interaction, while a human is pretty much within sight or earshot at all times for the rest of the day.

My active social life means I entertain often. A couple of my friends have bonded to my birds, that way when I travel the birds have someone they know and like watching them.

I do care for my elderly mother, and she does live in the house. Honestly, she is very involved with the care of the birds as well...she stops by the cages a few times a day to play games and offer healthy treats, and often puts a bird on her shoulder while she reads or watches tv. So, wow, maybe they get more than just 5 hours of one-on-one time! LOL :18:

So...I've come to the decision that I have too much love to give for only 2 birds. My cockatiel, Frida is NOT cuddly, she likes to sit on a shoulder or be around people but not to be touched. My conure, Homer, is super cuddly and playful but not necessarily down for hanging out ALL day.

I want a bigger bird. I want a bird that will hang out with me all day, enjoy the very social atmosphere in my home, and maybe even be cuddly!

So, this week I visited a bird rescue that is super reputable. I explained my lifestyle, and left my number. So, it looks like I'm going to stop by every week or so until I meet a bird that might be a good fit! They will be expecting me and I can play with all the birds and meet any newcomers. This rescue has you work with the bird for a month or so to properly bond before completing adoption, so I know I'm looking at a very long process.

I decided to start this thread in order to kind of journal my adventure, as I've never done this before. The idea of a rescue parrot is a little scary, but I'm giving it a try instead of buying!

I'm also happy to hear any and all advice along the way.

I'm looking at african greys and eclectus parrots, but honestly I'm more concerned about personality vs species.

Well, a couple exceptions. I live in the suburbs, and my idea of manageable noise is if the neighbors cannot hear my birds while inside their own homes during the morning racket. So, as much as I LOVE macaws and cockatoos...they are not going to work. I've heard them yell. Also, I've been told by the rescue people not to get an amazon for my mother's safety.

Soooo....yeah. This will be a ride!

I would advise against getting any bird for "cuddles", because if they allow it, it is sexual most of the time. Head and neck petting only- even if they allow more.
I DO love African Grays...some allow more petting than others, but again, head and neck only is important to remember. It's hard to know if a bird will want to hang out ON you all day--honestly, I would advise teaching a bit more independence than that (for their safety)...Greys are all over the board as far as how much they like to be touched--same with eckies. It just depends a lot on the bird and so it's really hard to know.

You currently have a tiel, so a grey is also a powder down bird (that means they would probably be okay around the other bird's dust). You might want to make sure that Eckies can be around powder down (I know they are pretty hypoallergenic themselves, but sometimes that means they have problems with the dust of other birds-- at least that is the case with macaws and powder down birds-they have a hypersensitivity to it in many cases).

I think you are wise to stick to your guns on what you know won't. MaCaws and Toos are definitely DEFINITELY birds you can hear outside of your house with the doors and windows shut lol.

Eckies do have a SUPER specialized diet, so they need really balanced mixes of chop daily and shouldn't eat pellets due to differences in their digestive systems from other parrots (they are TOO good at absorbing vitamins, and that is problematic with pellets).

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Certain Amazon species like Orange Winged and Mealys can be very mellow, and ANY bird presents a bite danger.

You’re envisioning the perfect scenario with your new bird...he’s going to love both you and your Mom, not make a lot of noise, act friendly, “human,” and in accordance with your wishes...but this is far from guaranteed.

Yes, spending time at the rescue helps, but it’s still always a question mark.

I agree, there is still going to be noise--- and it could be VERY loud at times...even from a bird that is considered quieter-- but again, CERTAIN birds are louder than others (even though all birds can be loud)...You absolutely should rule out those known for being cracked-out loud (because their general capacity for noise if just off-the-charts), but you have to be accepting of the possibility that even the mellower varieties can still get super noisy (not nearly as noisy as say, a cockatoo or macaw, but still, probably WAY noisier than you would like)

yes--any bird does have the potential to bite, but some beaks are worse than others...I mean, an Umbrella ,Mollucan, or macaw (for example) could take off a child's finger if they were motivated---a smaller bird just isn't capable of that sort of force...and Amazons are big enough that if they fly and attack someone who can't really block themselves, it could cause a lot of damage---you know? Like--- getting attacked by a smaller bird still can make you bleed, but certain large birds can do a lot more damage- especially those prone to moody, "drive-by" biting.

I mean, if a bird that bites occasionally or is loud occasionally is going to cause you to re-home the bird, don't get a larger parrot period-- but I do understand wanting to seek out birds with less noise capacity (even though "quieter" is relative in many cases--but there is certainly a MASSIVE difference between macaw/cockatoo loud and grey/eckie loud).

It is also very possible that the bird you get will not like both of you-- which means it could get jealous etc...hard to say...Some birds are more prone than others to actively attack, but pretty much any jealous bird will bite if placed in a situation where the opportunity presents itself...So...

DO look for birds known for being quieter, do look for birds less prone to drive-by biting...but DO remember, any bird can get loud and any bird can bite...It's just a matter of how loud and how hard....
I guess I mean to say, you can't know for sure that your bird won't bite or won't be obnoxiously loud, so only take the risk if you are prepared for all possibilities.

I think your rescue plan is GREAT!
Just remember- any transition WILL change behavior (so they won't necessarily be the same at home as they are at the rescue).
Also, remember that a bird who is quiet in a rescue setting may be louder at home without the constant stimulation of volunteers, other birds etc.
There is also generally an initial "honeymoon" period where birds act super quiet, or less like themselves (because they are adjusting).

Perhaps you could bring your mom along when looking? I am not sure what state she is in physically, but it might be helpful to see how birds react to the 2 of you....granted, again....loyalties can easily shift over time...also, keep in mind that certain birds are super showy around new people (like, my cockatoo will act like she is everyone's best friend in small-doses, but it's not legitimate lol)

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Dont count out Amazons, especially the ones outside the "Hot Three". Amazons are the come back kids of the parrot world. But really, spending a lot of time at the local rescue is going to show you the next parrot for you.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I love the idea of taking your mom with you if there's any possibility of doing that! If a big part of the decision is based on the interaction and safety for her, it makes total sense to have her there to meet the potential new family member. Yes, behavior there might be different than at home, but it's a huge advantage knowing if there's compatibility before bringing the new one home.

The refuge near me has a similar policy requiring a number of visitation hours to make sure you're a good match before they can go home with you. There are folks that are put off by that, but it's not about them. It's entirely about what's best for the birds, and greatly reduces the likelihood of being rehomed yet again. The other great thing about that process, is that you're spending time there, and the birds get the chance to know you, and make their choices known. They truly are better at choosing us than we are at choosing them. While we see pretty colors, or funny acrobatics, or believe what we think about a particular species, they don't. They see YOU- who you are inside, your attitude, your energy, your soul, your everything. They just know, and they'll tell you if you listen.

I would say, try to keep an open mind. The one that chooses you might not be what you were expecting, but is just as deserving of consideration. I'm privileged to be owned by the most amazing YNA in the world, because she demanded it be so. I wasn't even thinking about a second bird at that point. This, the girl at the refuge for over a year, deemed almost unadoptable because she was so picky about people, chose me. I'm truly blessed!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
Thanks everyone!

For those who are concerned about my noise expectations...I know ALL birds are noisy. My conure leads the morning racket at my home every day, and is joined by Frida plus my dog. That's why my limit is only if the neighbors can hear the birds inside my home while they are in *their* homes. I can tolerate whatever level of noise, but my neighbor is on the city council and he's already pretty annoying. Don't need to create more things he can fuss over, I want him to retain the quiet enjoyment of his home.

For those concerned about my biting expectations...my conure bites all the time. I'm used to it. It's partly his terrible twos starting and partly the fact that he seems to have turned it into a game (we are working on training the behavior out, he is doing it less and less). I'm not expecting a bird that will never bite, but I was told by the rescue that Amazons will specifically attack...didn't know about mealy amazons though! I'll look into them.

On cuddling...so, Homer and I play a game where I cup my hand and he runs and hides under it. He also "preens" me, and will roll over onto his back in my hand. I do give head and neck scratches, but I know not to pet the other parts of the bird. Hope that clears things up :)

And I know a rescue is bound to have problems. That's why this is a little scary...because both my other birds are purchases. I am expecting that I may very well end up with a bird that has neurotic tendencies and/or a bird that plucks. That's fine. Mom will find any excuse to knit a tiny bird sweater, and I can work around idiosyncrasies.

Mom's health is good enough that she can come with me, however, I plan to introduce her once I have entered the first phase of adopting a bird I've clicked with...that phase lasts about a month, and it's basically an opportunity to bond with the bird before you bring it home. Otherwise, she will get attached to every bird she sees.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Good for you! I like your attitude towards the whole process. I'm just curious why they would single out Amazons specifically for attacking. Any species can have bad examples, or aggressive individuals, but I can't imagine ruling out Amazons in general for something like that. I just don't see it. Maybe it's based on their interaction with them. Amazons are brutally honest. They don't bluff. If you pay attention, you can see a bite or aggression coming from a mile away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating specifically for Amazons. I have an Ekkie boy too, and he's amazing. If the right one finds you, awesome! I just don't like the idea of discounting an entire species when that special one might be out there. I'm a firm believer in rescues. All parrots can have behavior issues. You will learn about their personality and behaviors while spending that time with them. Try not to assume they all have problems. Even if they did, that may change with the benefit of a good home. Also, with an adult bird, you don't have all the personality changes while going through puberty. They're already past that, so you know more of what you're getting. To me, it's a win-win. Every one of mine has been a rescue or re-home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
L

LittleRedHen

Jun 13, 2020
Parrots
So...updates...or lack thereof, lol...

I have not met "The Bird" yet. I've been visiting every week, and keeping an eye on petfinder as well. I've met 5 birds in person...and no magic.

That's ok though! I'm waiting for "THE bird", not "a bird". I am committed to making sure my next addition will be happy in the environment that I can provide.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Yiu will definitely know! Keep your mind open to all species. Can’t wait t hear the story when you find the right one

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
Oh wow, I wish we had a local rescue that worked that way! I would love to go by weekly and just interact with the birds until I found that "spark" with one.

We only have two bird shelters in the area at all.. one is half an hour away and the other closet to an hour.
I can't volunteer at either of them for the foreseeable future because of Covid, but even before Covid their adoption policy was "send an application first, then we will schedule an appointment."

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Oh wow, I wish we had a local rescue that worked that way! I would love to go by weekly and just interact with the birds until I found that "spark" with one.

We only have two bird shelters in the area at all.. one is half an hour away and the other closet to an hour.
I can't volunteer at either of them for the foreseeable future because of Covid, but even before Covid their adoption policy was "send an application first, then we will schedule an appointment."

Tricky times, indeed. The good thing is, these birds tend to live FOREVER (when cared for properly and barring any disease/accidents), so you do have time, even though I know COVID is taking forever!!! (or so it seems). Although I am all for the restrictions, they feel grating at times (all the time lol)...Don't get me wrong, I believe we need them, but I get it..It's tough.

Most Reactions