My new Alexandrine -- Alex, 5 days at home, 2 months old...

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Thank you so much for the good wishes )

Another question, you can see how low he sits on his perch, is that normal? barely seeing his legs:

[ame="https://youtu.be/bHPNLinANR4"]Alex the Alexandrine Baby sitting on his perch in his cage - YouTube[/ame]

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I would follow the medical advice of a professional who has seen you bird not someone on a forum who hasn't seen him and you don't know if they're a professional! He is sitting low, but could be because he's weak and also very young.

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
I would follow the medical advice of a professional who has seen you bird not someone on a forum who hasn't seen him and you don't know if they're a professional! He is sitting low, but could be because he's weak and also very young.

Although he is sitting low, he is in fact eating actively, sips water here and there and even cleans himself, while doing so capable of standing on one leg. His weakness I expect to be gone in about 10 days of good eating and vitamins.

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Cage Update:
Moved last evening to the new cage, in the process he took another short flight, into a wooden chair near the cage, results in a slight re-visability of the previously caused cosmetical cracks, so I hope in few days - week time this will heal up from his beak again as it was almost gone from 1st accident with the window.

Here you can see I just took two videos:

[ame="https://youtu.be/LqGDIH3-n8Q"]Alex eating actively - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://youtu.be/Ca2HBgdxR6o"]Alex eating :) - YouTube[/ame]

Yes he is now in a new stress but at least he was eating already in the new cage which is good.

From that process, he is now super afraid from us / our hands again, so trust to be built all over again now...

Gave him today also few times a fresh cucumber, he love it so much, eat it rapidly.

Last edited:
OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Would replacing in his mix the sun flower with raw corn seeds instead be a good thing for him? raw corn seeds are not harmful for him? Thanks!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Corn is probably better than sunflower, since sunflower is fatty. The thing is, corn is an energy food (packed with starch), so you wouldn't want to feed him large amounts of that either. I'd give him no more than a tablespoonful of corn a day. That's just me, though. Others may disagree. :)

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
How much in general food would you give a 3 month old Alex?
Let's say how many grams of vegies/fruits and seeds (corn, wheat, millet etc..)?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I give mine about a cup each of pellets with a scant handful of mixed seed on top. They also get a cup of mixed veggies to pick over, and the odd fruit, depending on what I've got on hand. My kids will often hunt out grass seed heads and milk thistles for them as well as fallen gumnuts from the trees.

I don't know about buckwheat. I guess it'd be OK, but as with everything, don't overfeed it. Always offer plenty of veggies, as that should be the basis of their diet. Things to avoid are sunflower seed (keep those as a reward when training - they're like sweets), energy foods like corn or processed cereals and avocado, which is poisonous. You might look up some recipes for 'chop' in our diet section.

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
I give mine about a cup each of pellets with a scant handful of mixed seed on top. They also get a cup of mixed veggies to pick over, and the odd fruit, depending on what I've got on hand. My kids will often hunt out grass seed heads and milk thistles for them as well as fallen gumnuts from the trees.

I don't know about buckwheat. I guess it'd be OK, but as with everything, don't overfeed it. Always offer plenty of veggies, as that should be the basis of their diet. Things to avoid are sunflower seed (keep those as a reward when training - they're like sweets), energy foods like corn or processed cereals and avocado, which is poisonous. You might look up some recipes for 'chop' in our diet section.

raw corn seeds are poisonous? I thought I read its actually not so bad for them, could you please clarify? Thanks!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
No, corn is an energy food. If your bird is caged all the time, it can't exercise. Therefore, it will store the starch from the corn as fat around its liver. It's probably best not to feed much corn for that reason. Avocado is poisonous, so don't let your bird have any of that ever.

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
No, corn is an energy food. If your bird is caged all the time, it can't exercise. Therefore, it will store the starch from the corn as fat around its liver. It's probably best not to feed much corn for that reason. Avocado is poisonous, so don't let your bird have any of that ever.

And if he got bit weak/thin due to the stress he had, its perhaps good give some corn for now to help him catch up weight?

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
That's up to you. It'd be a shame to let him get used to having corn in his diet, then suddenly remove it. I think the healthy diet you're using is good enough. Time will help him feel better. :)

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
That's up to you. It'd be a shame to let him get used to having corn in his diet, then suddenly remove it. I think the healthy diet you're using is good enough. Time will help him feel better. :)

Well, what I did, I actually removed almost all the sunflower seeds from the mix I gave him today, I put instead oat flakes, some corn and buckwheat.

Then next thing I did, I sliced vegies and fresh fruits and put it into a little cage jar for him, then during the day, I let him eat the mix, then switch to vegies/fruits, then let him eat the mix and switch to vegies/fruits again, each time returning the vegies/fruits back to fridge so it wont get bad but also refreshing it each time by adding some more vegies/fruits in.

This way - also making him not get limited to one type of seed or food but being open to everything that is good for him.

I think this way he has pretty good and interesting diet, isnt it?

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Its not a season for green peas now so, I got it frozen pack from supermarket, I give him those peas in mix with corn and both mixed inside an oatmeal :) He is eating :)

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Okies, went to Bazaar and bought lots of:
1. Barley
2. Oat Groats
3. Green Peas (dry sliced into two seeds)
4. Whole Wheat (darker) & Wheat

I will try cook this as a mix, boil it for 30 minutes, let it cold up, then on top of it put frozen vegies, let it thaw and serve him ... and see how he likes it :)

This little shop in Bazaar had all you need :)

Attachments

• all you want photo_2019-08-08_11-34-26.jpg
    all you want photo_2019-08-08_11-34-26.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 115
  • vegies+whole garins-food-8d0decc9-ebac-4f45-b959-12262850ed02.jpg
    vegies+whole garins-food-8d0decc9-ebac-4f45-b959-12262850ed02.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
Lovely eating his veggies with a nice mix of boiled whole grains right below the veggies - cooked by myself :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/f8XW9-RPYhY"]Cutest Alex the baby Alexandrine eating his veggies mix with boiled whole grains :) - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. Bit of white boiled rice mixed into the veggies top.

OP
A

alexandrin

Jul 31, 2019
he started sneezing today, could be since we had hot days here, we had to turn on/off AC periodically, how to handle his sneezing? ... but its not all the time, he can sneeze here and there, not like every minute or every 5 minutes. Could be related its more humid today....?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts