My new baby and a question 🦜

koyajo

Aug 30, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
Baby cockatiel names speckles
Hello!! I recently go a baby bird.. yesterday actually. He is 7 weeks old and he is a pied cockatiel. He sure is a beautiful little one! I got him a whole bunch of toys and he has a pretty nice set up.
6EA0E43E-A055-4129-BC52-BC21B16846A9.jpeg
His name is speckles and he has a little playground as well. He loves to sit on my shoulder and head as I walk around the house and do some chores. I haven’t owned a cockatiel in quite some time so I am very excited!! I do have a question though
I went to work and my shift was 3 and 1/2 hours today and then I got home and went into the room I have his cage In and I let him out. Then he got on my shoulder and started bobbing his head a lot and was making like a screeching sound. I can’t really explain what it sounded like but it was like a long screeching sound almost mixed in with a squawk sound. It went on for about 5 minutes and then he calmed down and was quiet. What do you think this means? If you guys have any idea it would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you! 😁😄😁

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
"Mom's home, and I'm HUNGRY! Feed me, Mama!"

Sounds like very typical food seeking/begging behavior. He may still need some hand feeding formula until you're sure he's fully weaned. I'm not completely familiar with cockatiel weaning timeline, but it's unfortunately not uncommon for babies to be force weaned so they can be sold earlier. This link has some very helpful info: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-bought-an-unweaned-baby.74363/

Hope this helps. Speckles is one handsome boy! :)

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
Hi, cockatiels are fully weaned at the age of 10 weeks at least, so you're bird needs formula and might loose a lot of weight and possibly die, I'm worried for your bird, plus in the picture he looks very young and at 7 weeks he would still fully depend on hand feeding, hopefully you have experience with feeding a baby tiel and good luck

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
Hello!! I recently go a baby bird.. yesterday actually. He is 7 weeks old and he is a pied cockatiel. He sure is a beautiful little one! I got him a whole bunch of toys and he has a pretty nice set up. View attachment 30526 His name is speckles and he has a little playground as well. He loves to sit on my shoulder and head as I walk around the house and do some chores. I haven’t owned a cockatiel in quite some time so I am very excited!! I do have a question though
I went to work and my shift was 3 and 1/2 hours today and then I got home and went into the room I have his cage In and I let him out. Then he got on my shoulder and started bobbing his head a lot and was making like a screeching sound. I can’t really explain what it sounded like but it was like a long screeching sound almost mixed in with a squawk sound. It went on for about 5 minutes and then he calmed down and was quiet. What do you think this means? If you guys have any idea it would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you! 😁😄😁
And also you should feel his crop, if its empty then he's not gonna make it unless he eats something, and the screeching is normal, that's how baby cockatiels call when they want food

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I would also like to note your cockatiel is not pied, he is a pearl. And is he DNA'd male? if so he will lose the pearling as he matures.
Types-of-Cockatiels.jpg
Male-pearl-molting-ILLUS.jpg
12of10.png

OP
koyajo

koyajo

Aug 30, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
"Mom's home, and I'm HUNGRY! Feed me, Mama!"

Sounds like very typical food seeking/begging behavior. He may still need some hand feeding formula until you're sure he's fully weaned. I'm not completely familiar with cockatiel weaning timeline, but it's unfortunately not uncommon for babies to be force weaned so they can be sold earlier. This link has some very helpful info: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/so-you-bought-an-unweaned-baby.74363/

Hope this helps. Speckles is one handsome boy! :)
And also you should feel his crop, if its empty then he's not gonna make it unless he eats something, and the screeching is normal, that's how baby cockatiels call when they want food
okay thank you for the info! its greatly appreciated:giggle:. I am also very worried for my little guy. I have no experience feeding baby birds at all. I saw you post and i went straight to the pet store to get some formula for him. I fed him a little and his crop is full now. he is sleeping on my shoulder right now. I just don't know the amount to feed him though. It doesn't say on the package but i am trying to figure it out as-well. I don't know how often to feed him either? if you have any tips or instructions i would love to hear them. thanks!

OP
koyajo

koyajo

Aug 30, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
I would also like to note your cockatiel is not pied, he is a pearl. And is he DNA'd male? if so he will lose the pearling as he matures.
Types-of-Cockatiels.jpg
Male-pearl-molting-ILLUS.jpg
12of10.png
oh wow o_O, The lady i got him from had many birds so i assumed she knew what she was talking about. This whole thing is a whirlwind. Thank you for the information. The lady said she was a boy but i am not so sure now after all of this. I will most likely get him DNA tested. I think i will also take him into the vet soon to see if speckles is aright because when i got there the lady was having him eat parakeet food, so i will get him in. Thank you for the info!

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
With feeding probably start with 2-3 times a day depending on how he reacts. If hes making that screechy noise, offer him some formula. if he rejects it offer him some seed or chop or pellet whatever he WILL eat. You can up or lower the amount of feedings depending on how he reacts, what you want to do is called abundance weaning where you offer them as much formula as they want until THEY reject it and self wean.

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels

okay thank you for the info! its greatly appreciated:giggle:. I am also very worried for my little guy. I have no experience feeding baby birds at all. I saw you post and i went straight to the pet store to get some formula for him. I fed him a little and his crop is full now. he is sleeping on my shoulder right now. I just don't know the amount to feed him though. It doesn't say on the package but i am trying to figure it out as-well. I don't know how often to feed him either? if you have any tips or instructions i would love to hear them. thanks!
At 7 weeks old you should feed him in the morning not necessarily very early and then before you sleep, that's what I do with lovebirds which are very similar to cockatiels. You should also try giving him greens like lettuce. During the day when he gets hungry he will start learning to eat on his own, so for the feedings you shouldn't give him more than 3ml because he has to learn how to stop depending on you to feed him. Good luck

Mikey&Levi

Aug 23, 2021
Lebanon
Parrots
Lovebirds
Budgies
Cockatiels
And you should only feed him less than 3ml cause he won't have the appetite he had when he was younger, he will start to control the amount of food he's eating just like a grown bird

OP
koyajo

koyajo

Aug 30, 2021
Nevada
Parrots
With feeding probably start with 2-3 times a day depending on how he reacts. If hes making that screechy noise, offer him some formula. if he rejects it offer him some seed or chop or pellet whatever he WILL eat. You can up or lower the amount of feedings depending on how he reacts, what you want to do is called abundance weaning where you offer them as much formula as they want until THEY reject it and self wea

With feeding probably start with 2-3 times a day depending on how he reacts. If hes making that screechy noise, offer him some formula. if he rejects it offer him some seed or chop or pellet whatever he WILL eat. You can up or lower the amount of feedings depending on how he reacts, what you want to do is called abundance weaning where you offer them as much formula as they want until THEY reject it and self wean.
okay i will do that. I am very glad i found this place to get help!:)
And you should only feed him less than 3ml cause he won't have the appetite he had when he was younger, he will start to control the amount of food he's eating just like a grown bird
ok will do! thank you for your information. you have no idea how much i appreciate you for telling me this:giggle:😁

Most Reactions

Latest posts