My new budgie was traumatised on day 3... advice please!

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hello y'all and thanks in advance.

I've been wanting a pet bird for years, and years, and years, and finally felt I was in a place where I could adopt one. I purchased a beautiful blue budgie and got him set up in a lovely cage with everything a bird could desire.

He spent the first day sitting very still, very quiet, on one of his perches. I checked in occasionally, gently talking and singing to him. I named him Cheddar.

Day two was pretty great, as he ate some millet for the first time in his new home! And, he actually did it in my presence while I was talking with him. He inched closer to where I was standing. I felt this was a good sign that he was getting at least a little more comfortable.

Day three was progressing well, until my cat (Precious) decided to get off her lazy ass and realize there was something new in the room. She's not ordinarily much of a hunter, and she's always gotten along with our rabbits (always supervised, of course). While I was at work, and with my fiancé out of the room, our cat decided to paw at the cage and eventually tried to get on top of it. It ended in disaster, with the cage falling over and spilling the food, water, and Cheddar out. The bird flies away, and my fiancé booted out the cat and put everything back in order. It took some corralling to get Cheddar back into his home, but he appears to be physically OK (if quite frazzled).

I'm pretty devastated, and feel quite horrible. I wanted to provide as smooth of a transition as possible, and really set things up for a good bonding experience with my new bird. Now I feel that this will present quite a setback.

I'm looking for advice on how to help restore Cheddar's sense of security and safety. Obviously, the cat is banished from the room for the foreseeable future. And the cage will be secured to the table ASAP.

Last edited:
OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Cats and parrots do not mix, despite the cutesy pie youtube videos. Not fair to either to keep them in close proximity. IMHO.
Fantastic. Thank you so much for telling me what I already know, and already said I was going to act upon, without providing any real answers to the question I actually asked.

Obviously, I have no intention of allowing these two pets to have the ability to touch one another or “play” with each other, like the videos you referenced.

Have a nice day.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Regarding restoring Cheddar's trust, I think you'll just have to do what you already were doing - take it one day at a time, at his pace. I had to grab my untame parrot a few days after bringing him home, for a vet visit, and while it did damage our relationship, I know in the long run we'll get to where we both want to be.

Cheddar's a super cute name :)

I also want to say that I lurked here for months before joining, mostly looking up questions that I had, and one thing I do appreciate about this forum is that a lot of regular members keep in mind the many lurkers skimming for answers, and post the blunt (and yet not unkind) advice that many people do need to hear.

You already have taken measures to prevent a repeat and that's awesome! But someone else lurking probably is right now thinking it's "just you" and won't be inspired to be a little more careful if they aren't hearing the full variety of opinions and advice we all offer here.

I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey with Cheddar, I bet he'll come around just fine :)

Last edited:
OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Regarding restoring Cheddar's trust, I think you'll just have to do what you already were doing - take it one day at a time, at his pace. I had to grab my untame parrot a few days after bringing him home, for a vet visit, and while it did damage our relationship, I know in the long run we'll get to where we both want to be.

Cheddar's a super cute name :)

I also want to say that I lurked here for months before joining, mostly looking up questions that I had, and one thing I do appreciate about this forum is that a lot of regular members keep in mind the many lurkers skimming for answers, and post the blunt (and yet not unkind) advice that many people do need to hear.

You already have taken measures to prevent a repeat and that's awesome! But someone else lurking probably is right now thinking it's "just you" and won't be inspired to be a little more careful if they aren't hearing the full variety of opinions and advice we all offer here.

I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey with Cheddar, I bet he'll come around just fine :)
Thank you for sharing your experience! I look forward to posting more and gaining advice from this forum.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
There is just something about budgies, their size how they move that really triggers cats.

Just FYI most cats carry a bacteria in their mouth and claws that causes septicemia and death in parrots in 48 hrs. So even i single puncture or scratch they need to see the vet and start on antibiotics immediately. So any minor wound, any break in the skin and its an emergency. To save them from this highly fatal bacteria they have to see the vet the same day, within a couple of hours is best. Just for all to know.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new friend. This really is a great place full of people who love all things parrots! And we would love to see a picture of cheddar! You guys will move past this.

Abd because when I first got a budgies I was unaware how much they love veggies! But now my 2 live leafy greens like romaine, and broccoli, and bell pepper, and thawed peas. Well really any if the safe parrot veggies! I hope you will share with yours. Offering on a plate seems to be a goid way to tempt t tgrm or shove through cage bars.

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
Welcome. Cats, dogs and many carnivores can easily paw at the lock on most bird cages. Also don't leave your bird in its cage in an outdoor area without supervision. Neighborhood four legged creatures may think you are putting lunch out for them. Hawks are capable cage robbers as well.

Last edited:
OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Welcome. Cats, dogs and many carnivores can easily paw at the lock on most bird cages. Also don't leave your bird in its cage in an outdoor area without supervision. Neighborhood four legged creators may think you are putting lunch out for them. Hawks are capable cage robbers as well.
Thanks for advice on something I’ve already become aware of. Why would I ever leave them outside without supervision? I am not an idiot.

OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
There is just something about budgies, their size how they move that really triggers cats.

Just FYI most cats carry a bacteria in their mouth and claws that causes septicemia and death in parrots in 48 hrs. So even i single puncture or scratch they need to see the vet and start on antibiotics immediately. So any minor wound, any break in the skin and its an emergency. To save them from this highly fatal bacteria they have to see the vet the same day, within a couple of hours is best. Just for all to know.

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new friend. This really is a great place full of people who love all things parrots! And we would love to see a picture of cheddar! You guys will move past this.

Abd because when I first got a budgies I was unaware how much they love veggies! But now my 2 live leafy greens like romaine, and broccoli, and bell pepper, and thawed peas. Well really any if the safe parrot veggies! I hope you will share with yours. Offering on a plate seems to be a goid way to tempt t tgrm or shove through cage bars.
Thank you for providing your knowledge and experience!

Photo of cheddar is attached

Attachments

• A14E9CCC-4E95-4F02-87B1-770800058616.jpeg
    A14E9CCC-4E95-4F02-87B1-770800058616.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 98

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Thanks for advice on something I’ve already become aware of. Why would I ever leave them outside without supervision? I am not an idiot.
Caintowers, I do not think anybody is suggesting for a moment that you're an idiot, they merely have the best interests of your precious new family member at heart. Accidents and incidents such as has just happened to you can happen to even the most experienced bird keeper, sadly our "Bereavements" pages are full of them, and we would not like to see anything terrible happen to Cheddar and you. And as was suggested, many members who respond here are doing so not just with you in mind, but more casual readers and non-members as well.

I'm so glad that sweet little Chedder is doing well after his fright, and I don't think it will be long before you are able to regain the trust that you thought might be lost. Welcome to the forums, and I wish the two of you many happy years together ❤️

OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Caintowers, I do not think anybody is suggesting for a moment that you're an idiot, they merely have the best interests of your precious new family member at heart. Accidents and incidents such as has just happened to you can happen to even the most experienced bird keeper, sadly our "Bereavements" pages are full of them, and we would not like to see anything terrible happen to Cheddar and you. And as Cottonoid has suggested, many members who respond here are doing so not just with you in mind, but more casual readers and non-members as well.

I'm so glad that sweet little Chedder is doing well after his fright, and I don't think it will be long before you are able to regain the trust that you thought might be lost. Welcome to the forums, and I wish the two of you many happy years together ❤️
That is fair. I understand that with these unique creatures, there is a lot of valuable knowledge to acquire. Perhaps, I simply disagree with those using my own plight and request for knowledge as a springboard for educating others. It is simply unhelpful, and sometimes offensive. I suggest that those who wish to educate others merely create their own separate posts. If they have something specifically helpful to my request, then please tell me!
After all, I am an experienced keeper of animals. Not only have I worked as a keeper at a local zoo with everything from primates to farm animals, but I personally have owned guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, reptiles, felines, canines, fish, and now a bird.

I will try to keep your advice in mind and not take advice so personally. Thank you for your advice and welcome. I really was looking for comfort in knowing my relationship with my new bird is salvageable.

Last edited:

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Oh my gosh he looks like the cutest boy ever!!! your lucky to have him ahahhahahhaha he is so cute CUTEST BOY EVER!!!

Welcome to the forum i am very happy that you joined and of course nice to meet you ♥️

I have budgies and ohh they are the best beings ohh they are so cute I always sang to my budgies this:
ohh cute birbs
ohh cute budgies
ohh cute floofies
you are creatures from heaven '
that fell from heaven
and landed on earth
you could have landed on some other planet
like mars and Pluto
but you landed on earth
it was meant to be for us to meet
ohh my fids
ohh my birbs
ohh my cuties
ohh my cuties oh my cuties
you are such cuties
oh my crazy birds
you put a smile on my face every single day
i need a therapist but my parents say no
but i remember that i have two therapists
that put a smile on my face
everyday
oh my ball of floofies
it was meant to be for us to meet..........................
ahahhah yaa that my song a bit weird😅

OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Oh my gosh he looks like the cutest boy ever!!! your lucky to have him ahahhahahhaha he is so cute CUTEST BOY EVER!!!

Welcome to the forum i am very happy that you joined and of course nice to meet you ♥️

I have budgies and ohh they are the best beings ohh they are so cute I always sang to my budgies this:
ohh cute birbs
ohh cute budgies
ohh cute floofies
you are creatures from heaven '
that fell from heaven
and landed on earth
you could have landed on some other planet
like mars and Pluto
but you landed on earth
it was meant to be for us to meet
ohh my fids
ohh my birbs
ohh my cuties
ohh my cuties oh my cuties
you are such cuties
oh my crazy birds
you put a smile on my face every single day
i need a therapist but my parents say no
but i remember that i have two therapists
that put a smile on my face
everyday
oh my ball of floofies
it was meant to be for us to meet..........................
ahahhah yaa that my song a bit weird😅
I love it! I wrote a song myself for Cheddar!

Attachments

• DA9C8D72-376C-49F5-BFEE-94E23CC3C93A.jpeg
    DA9C8D72-376C-49F5-BFEE-94E23CC3C93A.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 94
  • F81B85CD-F02F-43F6-ADAB-D4ACBB1E2BCD.jpeg
    F81B85CD-F02F-43F6-ADAB-D4ACBB1E2BCD.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 81

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
OHHHH i love its short but amazing and meaningful

Revenge

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Hooded parrot
Hey i was wondering if you could send me a picture of cheddars cage, thank you!

OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Hey i was wondering if you could send me a picture of cheddars cage, thank you!
Hello,

Absolutely.

Currently, I have a wire cage set up with:
  • Food dispenser with high quality pellets
  • Water dish
  • Millet
  • Cuttlebone
  • 2 perches and 1 ladder
  • A mirror toy
  • A shredding toy
  • A fabric hide
  • 2 containers with harvestable nesting material
  • A liner
I also have several additional toys/perches to rotate out every week. I’m awaiting delivery of some perches that will naturally wear the nails.

Attachments

• C2C71705-42DA-4023-87B2-2551609E5721.jpeg
    C2C71705-42DA-4023-87B2-2551609E5721.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 106

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
fabric hides are dangerous for birds
First birds re dangerous because birds can chew and swallow them and birds cannot digest them. It can also cause crop infection,the only way to treat crop infection is through surgery which is very risky and dangerous for your birds and there are many more risks about fabric hides and can cause hormonal problems which are bad there are many amazon's happy hide that there birds got strangled from the happy hut strings if you think your bird needs a happy get a natural hide for bird a bird can't get a crop infection from the natural hide but can get hormonal proplems

i really like the setup of the cage its amazing

OP
caintowers

caintowers

May 5, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
fabric hides are dangerous for birds
First birds re dangerous because birds can chew and swallow them and birds cannot digest them. It can also cause crop infection,the only way to treat crop infection is through surgery which is very risky and dangerous for your birds and there are many more risks about fabric hides and can cause hormonal problems which are bad there are many amazon's happy hide that there birds got strangled from the happy hut strings if you think your bird needs a happy get a natural hide for bird a bird can't get a crop infection from the natural hide but can get hormonal proplems

i really like the setup of the cage its amazing
Interesting. A shame they are sold specifically for birds.

I did some reading on the subject and it seems the primary risks are entanglement after the bird has a chance to tear the fabric up a bit. And, protective nesting instincts as you alluded to.

I’ll go ahead and remove it. After a quick wash, it’ll be perfect for one of my hamsters.

Most Reactions

Latest posts